No announcement yet.

The case evidence and its implications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, Joshua, point taken. I have Bern trying to work out how the uterus relatera to that vertebra, bit perhaps that is overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

I took a look at some of Debras posts on the errand, and she leaves the issue pretty much open. The torso was taken off by the fourth lumbar vertebra, and maybe that meant that it could be established that the uterus had gone missing from the body, perhaps on account of looking at attachments of the organ. I simply don't know, but I agree that the term "the uterus was missing" implies that Hebbert believed it to have gone lost from the body.
      I haven't had time to read through everything here but someone pointed me to this thread. As I have said all along (rightly or wrongly because I am not following the argument here) the Whitehall torso had the WHOLE pelvis and its contents removed. I have pointed that out a few time when people say the uterus was removed, reminding that the pelvis and its organs were missing, not just the uterus. Is that being challenged now?

Comment

This is what I have posted since 2008 for example

Is the assumption I made back in 2008 that the whole of the pelvis and its organ were missing in the Whitehall case now found to be wrong?

Comment

Nope. There were posts by your hand where you seemingly left it open whether the uterus had been excised or not, but if you arrived at the conclusion that it simply went missed together with the rest of the pelvic torso section, then that is good enough for me. It has little bearing on the thread as such since we do know that organs were missing from inside the Rainham victim, justifying the question I ask out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            Nope. There were posts by your hand where you seemingly left it open whether the uterus had been excised or not, but if you arrived at the conclusion that it simply went missed together with the rest of the pelvic torso section, then that is good enough for me. It has little bearing on the thread as such since we do know that organs were missing from inside the Rainham victim, justifying the question I ask out here.
            Well I don't think there are Fish. I have always made a point of saying the pelvis and its contents were missing when ever I can in response to people saying the uterus was removed. You could perhaps show me where I have said otherwise and I will accept I must have done. I have always known that the pelvis was missing since I first strarted reading the source material back in 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post

I haven't had time to read through everything here but someone pointed me to this thread. As I have said all along (rightly or wrongly because I am not following the argument here) the Whitehall torso had the WHOLE pelvis and its contents removed. I have pointed that out a few time when people say the uterus was removed, reminding that the pelvis and its organs were missing, not just the uterus. Is that being challenged now?
              Hello Debra,

Of course, Dr Hebbert states that the "lower parts are absent as well as the pelvic viscera." Presumably that doesn't necessarily mean that the organs were actually removed from the pelvic viscera. Interestingly, the patella was also missing, so caution is required when trying to draw any firm conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post

Hello Debra,

Of course, Dr Hebbert states that the "lower parts are absent as well as the pelvic viscera." Presumably that doesn't necessarily mean that the organs were actually removed from the pelvic viscera.
                The “lower parts” in that sentence were of the colon, though, not lower body parts in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

Great post johng

full disclosure. I am not near as confident as fish that they were the same man but do lean heavily.

It may just be a coincidence but i do find it interesting, even if the uterus is missing because its part of the lower part of the torso thats missing in the whitehall case, that it does just happen to be the section that contains the uterus.

anyway, its blatenly obviuos to me that torso man is not a defensive dismemberer and the way he deposited the body parts did have some kind of special meaning to him. The ripper made no attempts to hide either and left them posed.

i just find it hard to beleive that two such cretins were lurking about in the same city at the same time, post mortem mutilating, cutting up, removing body parts of unfortunates and leaving remains to be found in odd and public places. IMHO both series end at the same time with pinchin and mckenzie and ive never heard a good explanation for that -if they were different men, for some reason that coincidence really sticks with me. Also, no signs of torture or sexual abuse in either series, seems just a quick kill to obtain a body to cut up.

and eventhough torsoman did dismember, he also cut up smaller parts of flesh and organs.... is that really so different than the ripper who also flayed flesh off the corpse, cut off breasts, and cuts necks to the bone?

Many thanks Abby. I started off believing that it was very unlikely that the two "series" were linked, now I'm about 70-30 on there not being a link. And I really don't know how anyone can draw firm conclusions either way.

Thus, on one hand Fish makes a fair argument, i.e. based on the unlikeliness of two lust murderers operating in the same city at the same time-this may actually be unprecedented-as well as the abdominal wall issue, which I've previously addressed.

However, there are problems with the argument. Thus, if Torso Man was an offensive dismemberer (lust murderer), then the dismemberment process itself becomes part of his signature. In other words, a defensive dismemberer is just trying to make it easier to get rid of the body for practical reasons, i.e. "to hide evidence from discovery and forensic examination."(Rutty et al. 2017.) However, for an offensive dismemberer it's actually part of his signature: " Dismemberment for the purposes of sexual gratification, whether part of the homicide or on those already dead, would be considered 'offensive dismemberment'" And this signature element is missing with the C5 murders.

Then there's the issue of decapitation. Thus, it could have been done for practical reasons: the head is very heavy and therefore difficult to transport, as well as being an important factor in identification ( Rutty, 2017). However, it may be related to ritual: "The head is also the central component of the body and thus significant as a trophy or representation of the victim." (Rutty, 2017;Rajs et al. 1998.) As an example, Dahmer regularly retained his victims skulls. Of course, if this was the case it presents another problem, because JtR didn't seem to be interested in retaining heads.

Then there's the issue of body storage: All of the Torso victims were stored, none of the C5 were. This again seems related to signature, and serial killers who exhibited this pattern are usually pretty consistent: all of Jack the Stripper's victims were stored.

Finally, as I noted earlier, the geographical profiles are a big problem for me, with JtR presenting as a classic marauder, and the Torso perpetrator as obviously commuter killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                    The “lower parts” in that sentence were of the colon, though, not lower body parts in general.
                    But the "pelvic viscera", which includes the vagina and uterus, is expressly referred to as being absent.
                    Last edited by John G; 04-07-2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      Indeed, and I also recall that all but two of the torso victims didn't have missing uteri and, of those, her uterus - and the baby that it once carried - weren't "missing", as they were found.
                      The uterus and placenta were found but not the foetus.

Comment

The uterus and placenta were found but not the foetus.
                        Thanks for the correction, John. The main point for me is that the uterus once had a baby in it; so, it was more a case of a baby being removed than a uterus being targeted. Jack the Ripper can almost certainly be be ruled out on that basis alone, never mind that Jackson frequented, was killed, and was disposed of in a totally different part of London to where Jack operated.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Thanks for the correction, John. The main point for me is that the uterus once had a baby in it; so, it was more a case of a baby being removed than a uterus being targeted. Jack the Ripper can almost certainly be be ruled out on that basis alone, never mind that Jackson frequented, was killed, and was disposed of in a totally different part of London to where Jack operated.
                          Hi Sam,

Yes, very good points. I've argued myself that the foetus was the main focus of the killer's attention, although it's certainly odd that he cuts out two irregular pieces from the abdominal wall, and then bundles these pieces up with the umbilicus etc. I can only speculate that this was possibly done for shock value.

Of course, Kelly's uterus was removed but not retained by the perpetrator (unlike in the case of Chapman and Eddowes.) Therefore, JtR wasn't consistent in this respect, either. Always assuming that Kelly was a Ripper victim, of course!
                          ​​​
                          Last edited by John G; 04-07-2019, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I've argued myself that the foetus was the main focus of the killer's attention, although it's certainly odd that he cuts out two irregular pieces from the abdominal wall, and then bundles these pieces up with the umbilicus etc. I can only speculate that this was possibly done for shock value
                            I speculate that it was done simply to dispose of those larger extraneous pieces. Bundled together, wrapped, dumped in the river.

I personally find it odd how the random disposal of body parts is imbued with meaning by so many.
                            The murders’ debris are often interpreted as being masterfully planned and planted when there’s no evidence that this is the case. The torsos were sectioned and dismembered and the parts disposed of.

Comment

Hello Debra,

Of course, Dr Hebbert states that the "lower parts are absent as well as the pelvic viscera." Presumably that doesn't necessarily mean that the organs were actually removed from the pelvic viscera. Interestingly, the patella was also missing, so caution is required when trying to draw any firm conclusions.
                              I know, John. I've known as said so for the last 14 years when people have mentioned that the uterus was missing.

In terms of language, I don't think there's a problem in me saying 'the pelvis and its contents' were 'removed',as in separated as one unit, from the "trunk" that was found in the vault which Hebbert describes as the "thorax and upper part of the abdomen". Similarly we say the head was 'removed' don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post

Well I don't think there are Fish. I have always made a point of saying the pelvis and its contents were missing when ever I can in response to people saying the uterus was removed. You could perhaps show me where I have said otherwise and I will accept I must have done. I have always known that the pelvis was missing since I first strarted reading the source material back in 2005.
                                I think the problem has lain in how Hebbert supposedly stated that the uterus was missing from the body. That is a wording that leads on that the pelvis was taken off at a low enough level to allow for such a thing to be noted. However, Joshua Rogan has made the point that the wording as such may not have been Hebberts own, and that puts a different slant on matters.
                                I have never seen - and never said, for that matter - that you have claimed that the uterus was gone from the body and would not be inside the pelvis (wherever that was). What I have read is that you have said something to the effect that it cannot be determined whether it was in the body or not, and that of course rhymes quite well with the pelvis being gone.
                                To me, it is not much of a problem either way - since Joshua has found that Hebbert may not have used the wording "the uterus was missing", I think that the only logical thing to do is to accept that there is no way of knowing if the killer took it out or not, and we must accordingly accept that as it stands, all we can say is that it went missing together with the pelvis.

As I noted before, that has no impact as such on the question this thread is about. It still applies that once we know that there organs missing from other victims than Jackson, once we know that the killer DID take organs out in her case, that means that it becomes logical to make the assumption that he also lay behind the missing organs in in the Rainham case.
                                I have often heard it being said the the torso killer only eviscerated/took out organs in one case, that of Jackson, and this has been used as some sort of evidence that he was really not an eviscerator. To me, that is not a sound approach. He is instead a proven eviscerator, and the logical inference is that he did it in more than one case.

What is really very interesting in the context, though, and where the searchlight should be allowed to shine, is on the fact that just as we know for a fact that this man eviscerated, we also know that he actively chose not to do so in the Pinchin Street case. To me, that is of pivotal importance, because it tells us that organ extraction was not his only reason for killing, something I believe was also the case in the Ripper murders. The carving of the faces, the defleshing of Kellys thigh, the removal of the abdominal walls, the cutting away of the nose in Eddowes case etcetera, are all examples of a broader agenda, an agenda that certainly involved - or could involve - organ excision, but that is in my world better described as a deconstruction of the human body.

Comment

Working...
                                X