Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurse Sarah
    replied
    Any chance you could mark on that photo where Coles was found, if possible?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Nurse Sarah
    replied
    LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Originally posted by Nurse Sarah View Post
    Thank you, that's brilliant. I've stayed in this hotel and have more of an idea of the area now. You are a treasure!
    I cannot deny it

Leave a comment:

• Nurse Sarah
    replied
    Thank you, that's brilliant. I've stayed in this hotel and have more of an idea of the area now. You are a treasure!

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    The Travelodge is on Chamber Street near the Leman Street corner. I've marked it in red. The green building is where the Berner Street school is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Royal Mint 1934.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	659257

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Nurse Sarah
    replied
    PS Rob, there's a Travelodge in this area....would it be where the largest chimney is?

I think it's near Mansell Street. To the north-east of the Tower...

Leave a comment:

• Nurse Sarah
    replied
    Thanks Rob, as ever, a fountain of knowledge!

The photo is very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Originally posted by Nurse Sarah View Post
    Hi all

Can anyone tell me if these places are still here today in London, if I was to retrace the steps?

Thanks
    The basic outline of most of the streets are still there but other than the railway arches, the Royal Mint and the hydraulic pumping station (I think that's what it is called) by Mansell Street it's all gone. A few buildings on Prescott Street are the same and there's a wonderful building on the corner of Prescott Street and Magdalen Passage which was the county court house is still standing.

This is an aerial view of the area from 1934.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Royal Mint 1934.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	659256

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Nurse Sarah
    replied
    Hi all

Can anyone tell me if these places are still here today in London, if I was to retrace the steps?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• robhouse
    replied
    Thanks again Monty.

But is Sparrow Corner the same as Sparrow Court? Looks to me like the area you have circled is at the corner of Royal Mint St, right? Bogen said "He could have gone up Sparrow-court into Royal Mint-street."

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    Rob,

Sparrow Corner circled in orange Rob.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• robhouse
    replied
    OK, follow up question... where is Sparrow Court? I cannot tell from your map, and my map doesnt have that section...

"PC Bogen - About 2 o'clock I saw him on the pavement opposite the Mint.

CORONER. - This is very important. Can you be sure about the time?

Witness. - Yes, the Tower clock had just struck 2.

Mr. Mathews. - Were you in the company of Sergeant Edwards, and did you notice any further injuries?

Witness. - Yes, a cut over the right eye and his face covered with blood. He said he had been assaulted down by the London Docks by some men. He had his hand on his right hip and said he had been kicked in the ribs. Sergeant Edwards walked away with the man towards the Minories.

Mr. Mathews. - When you left the man the last time outside the Mint, could he have got to Swallow-gardens without passing you?

Witness. - He could have gone up Sparrow-court into Royal Mint-street and then up Swallow-gardens. If he had gone along the Minories he must have passed me.

Mr. Mathews. - How long would it take a man to walk there from where you left him?

Witness. - It is about five minutes walk."

Leave a comment:

• robhouse
    replied
    Thanks Monty for the clarification...

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    Rob,

Daily Graphic 4 February 1893
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    Rob,

Royal Mint had its own Police Station as such, so did the Docks. Edwards and Brogan was based there. Its near the Mint main gates.

Red Circle is the station house.

Red Cross is where Edwards see Sadler.

Now Lockharts, I believe, had two premises on Tower Hill. Both circled Black on this map.

Blue Cross is the site of Coles murder.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X