No announcement yet.

Prater's stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This attempted depiction is based on a combination of diagrams and photos, including the demolition though it's not exactly to scale.....
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
      This attempted depiction is based on a combination of diagrams and photos, including the demolition though it's not exactly to scale.....
      That's a lovely picture MS and you've got the doorway to Prater's stairs exactly right i.e. between the partition and the main back wall of the house
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Stephen, did you see what I said about the panoramic shot of the demolition photo of Miller's Court? That the depth of #13/#19 seems greater than what is depicted in Goad's plans and strengthens your plan of the innards of #26?

any thoughts on that?

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
        That's a lovely picture MS and you've got the doorway to Prater's stairs exactly right i.e. between the partition and the main back wall of the house
        JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
        JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
        ---------------------------------------------------
        JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

• Originally posted by richardh View Post
          Stephen, did you see what I said about the panoramic shot of the demolition photo of Miller's Court? That the depth of #13/#19 seems greater than what is depicted in Goad's plans and strengthens your plan of the innards of #26?

any thoughts on that?
          Well I was very impressed by your thoroughness Richard and if it proves something to you in your mind then all well and good. To repeat what I said earlier on this thread we know that there was a staircase behind the partition and it must have been between the partition and the main back wall of the house. Someone here is now questioning the 'logic' of having two staircases in the house when the reason for the second staircase is explained in contemporary reports i.e. that it was the only way for tenants to get to their rooms on the upper floors because the front door was locked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
            But Pierre, there is no opening into that area. you keep saying the map is valid and reliable, why does it not show then, the opening is on the ground floor
            Yes. That is what I am saying too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
              that is an opening on the ground floor.
              the key makes that very clear
              What do you mean by "the key makes that very clear"? Could you please explain?

Regards Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                Richard.
                Even if you added another 3ft to the depth of Kelly's rear structure, thereby feeling more satisfied that room for an extra set of stairs is physically possible, you are still left with finding a logical reason why two sets of stairs would be built within feet of each other to service the same landing.

Lack of room is not the concern, it is lack of a logical reason to include it.
                I agree.

Pierre

Comment

• Stephen,
                  I think we are finding it hard to believe because it seems a lot of trouble to construct a 2nd staircase and partition because the front door was locked. Surely something like a double door partition/hallway from front door to original stairs would have been easier and cheaper? Also, Your plan (my model shows there is no way for door #19 and door #20 to face & be visible to each other which contradicts the Kitty Ronan murder.

These are the two points that cause problems.

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                  Well I was very impressed by your thoroughness Richard and if it proves something to you in your mind then all well and good. To repeat what I said earlier on this thread we know that there was a staircase behind the partition and it must have been between the partition and the main back wall of the house. Someone here is now questioning the 'logic' of having two staircases in the house when the reason for the second staircase is explained in contemporary reports i.e. that it was the only way for tenants to get to their rooms on the upper floors because the front door was locked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                    Yes. That is what I am saying too.
                    No Pierre,

you are claiming that once climbing the stairs to the 1st floor(uk) there is an opening into the upper passageway, so that in your view people can get from 26 into 27
                    i am saying there is and opening into the lower passageway.

completely different

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                      What do you mean by "the key makes that very clear"? Could you please explain?

Regards Pierre
                      The list of symbols on a map is refereed to as the KEY. at least it was when I did A level Geography.

The map shows an opening in the passageway, which according to the KEY is on one floor only, the marking used is 1st, but given the the map uses the American system for some reason, that is the British ground floor.

Does that make it clear my friend

Elamarna

Comment

• I'm not sure if and why it matters about Pierre's theory of this passage to #27.

Why is this important Pierre?

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                        No Pierre,

you are claiming that once climbing the stairs to the 1st floor(uk) there is an opening into the upper passageway, so that in your view people can get from 26 into 27
                        i am saying there is and opening into the lower passageway.

completely different

Comment

• Here is the Thomas Plan on Sketchfab (3D viewer) to make it easier to view.

Stephen, any changes/alterations/additions etc?

Please let me know so I can get it exactly how you want it to look.

Thanks

Goad's 3D Plan
                          Last edited by richardh; 12-24-2015, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Sorry, Post above is wrong and I can't edit now! Correct link in this post.

Here is the Thomas Plan on Sketchfab (3D viewer) to make it easier to view.

Stephen, any changes/alterations/additions etc?

Please let me know so I can get it exactly how you want it to look.

Thanks

(I'll do the same for the Goad Plan once it's finished)

Comment

• Here's the link to the Goad's 3D plan on Sketchfab:

Goad's 3D Plan

Comment

• Originally posted by richardh View Post
                                Stephen,
                                I think we are finding it hard to believe because it seems a lot of trouble to construct a 2nd staircase and partition because the front door was locked. Surely something like a double door partition/hallway from front door to original stairs would have been easier and cheaper? Also, Your plan (my model shows there is no way for door #19 and door #20 to face & be visible to each other which contradicts the Kitty Ronan murder.

These are the two points that cause problems.
                                Hi Richard

Well it wasn't the Kitty Ronan murder but no matter. We know that the ground floor of #26 was converted into a storage area for costermonger's barrows and it's quite possible that the internal walls and indeed the lower part of the staircase were removed to maximise space for the barrows.

The second point is a real problem and something I've been trying to make sense out of since I read the 1899 transcript of the Kate Marshall murder trial. The only conclusion I can come to, given that there was a storeroom and a corridor between the two rooms, is that Amory was wrong when he said that he could see the doorway of #19 from his own doorway in #20.

The corridor as far as I can see would start at the top of Prater's stairs on the right and go in a backwards 'L' shape round the storeroom to the first floor landing.

Comment

Working...
                                X