Prater's stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
    I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that Richard's current model is wrong then? Where are you saying the staircase actually is?
    Well, as much as I am highly impressed by Richards abilities, and persistence
    We read that the tenant of room 20 could see the door to room 19 across the 9ft space, from his doorway.
    Whether diagonal or almost opposite is not made clear.
    Richards latest plan does not permit that to be true.

If the partition wall is where I say it might be, i.e. to the north of the wall in the Goad plan, it only requires a slight adjustment to Richard's model (moving things up a bit).
    I'm assuming this partition wall is for a staircase up to room 19 above?
    Yet, we read that the door of room 19 opened to the main house staircase.

So, what is that second set of stairs/partition for?
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardh View Post
      Well, If that is the position for the 2nd door (Prater's) then it opens up directly into the shed!
      No, no Richard.
      I notice you have included the front door coming in off Dorset St.
      Directly behind that front door is probably a passage that ran down the side of the shed. Remember, the shed was the front room of the house at one time. So, likely there was a partition wall between the front room and that front door (same as Hanbury St.).
      Therefore, the side door (Praters door) opened into this internal passage.
      I mention this because the house I was raised in had that very same layout.

Does 1st mean ground then? (just to clarify).
      On these Goad maps, yes!
      There is no ground floor recognised in the legends, the ground floor is the first floor on these maps.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Added some measurements and that 2nd door (which by Goad's reckoning is 4.5ft wide):

So this is just the brick walls and some measurements.

FYI the actual goad's base map image I'm using is here:

I'll try (with your help) to build the 3D using this (goad's) plan and only add stuff that we all (generally) think fits. Okay?

(easier said than done I know!)

P.S: my those measurements it looks like the passage way is about 4ft wide according to goad's so I doubt the (goad) scale is accurate.
        Last edited by richardh; 12-16-2015, 04:39 PM.
        JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
        JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
        ---------------------------------------------------
        JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

• Hi Richard, and others.

Might what looks like '1st' be: a door that opens out into the exterior passageway leading to the court, and "St" mean "Stairs" ??

An idea?

Comment

• Originally posted by richardh View Post
            Added some measurements and that 2nd door (which by Goad's reckoning is 4.5ft wide):
            Richard.
            Openings in walls are not drawn to scale.

You'll notice that this 'Praters Door' opening is drawn the same width as Millers Court passage.
            Millers Court passage was 34 inch wide.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Richard.

A fire insurance map is concerned with the size of buildings, how far apart buildings are, and what their construction material is, brick/stone, wood or metal.

Incidental details like openings in walls, roof vents, windows are shown where applicable, but not drawn to any scale.

Here is a part of the legend for Walls.
              Openings are just drawn as, openings.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by MBDecre View Post

Might what looks like '1st' be: a door that opens out into the exterior passageway leading to the court, and "St" mean "Stairs" ??

An idea?
                Take a look at the red & blue circles on this dwg.

The blue circle identifies another "1st" (meaning first floor)
                It is an opening in the first floor firewall.

The red circle identifies an opening in the "3rd" floor wall.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• As I understand it, the door to the stairs to Prater's room (20) was just inside the archway from the Miller's Court end.

I would suggest just behind the main supporting wall for the back of number 26 (behind the partition wall and therefore part of the main building) and only a single door's width similar to Kelly's.

I'm seeing something a bit like this. Number 26 was 4 storeys including the dormer type roof. Not to scale obviously.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by MysterySinger; 12-16-2015, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• I've updated the lastest attempt with a black & white scale. Each segment is 1ft

JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

• Hi wickerman & mystery

Wickerman: I see, that makes more sense now. These maps take a bit of decoding! I'm guessing the 'T' s = toilets.

Mystery: Nice visual, gives more verticality than most reconstructions. I think Cox or Prater confirms your location of the external door to the stairs in their inquest deposition.
                      Last edited by MBDecre; 12-16-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MBDecre View Post
                        Hi wickerman & mystery

Wickerman: I see, that makes more sense now. These maps take a bit of decoding! I'm guessing the 'T' s = toilets.
                        Hello MBDecre.

'T' = Tile. (as in roof tiles)

These are fire insurance maps, they don't care about toilets, at the time known as Water Closets.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• That's brilliant work richardh (not sure about the door positioning under the archway unless there was more than one as I would expect one to be further back and approximately beside the partition wall to Kelly's room)?
                          Last edited by MysterySinger; 12-16-2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Hello, all,

If Mary's room had a brick wall, would this have been where her fireplace was?
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                              Hello, all,

If Mary's room had a brick wall, would this have been where her fireplace was?
                              I'd expect so.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Yes, so would I...

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                I'd expect so.
                                ...so wouldn't it be more likely to be on the same side as the courtyard door is (I.e., the outside wall), to allow for a chimney? And if so, her bed is not next to it, as the wall (or partition) we see behind it in MJK1 is not made of brick.
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X