The missing key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The missing key?

I read that MJK had lost her room key and had resorted to bolting and unbolting the door through a broken window beside it. However, after her body had been found, the police were eventually forced to smash the door down with an axe because it was locked. So presumably MJK had found the key? Was it ever recovered from the scene of the crime? And if not, does this implicate Joseph Barnett?

Or try this:

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=2983

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      So presumably MJK had found the key?
      Possible.
      I which case, the murderer must have locked the door and gone with the key.
      But my take is that he had the key already.

Comment

IMHO the missing key and locked door is another obvious indicator that Mary Kelly and the ripper knew each other.

Comment

Hi All

I mentioned in another thread that perhaps Kelly changed the locks, maybe to avoid being flung out by McCarthy, because of the rent arrears.

If the key was lost then recovered perhaps by the ripper, do you think it possible that the killer may have hid in the room, and then killed Kelly?
          It could be another way of determining why there was no noise (apart from the cry of 'oh murder'), ie the door being opened etc

Comment

A fine hiding.

Hello Natasha. If the killer were hiding in the room, there would be some difficulty, given the small space. If he were to REMAIN hidden, then she must have undressed in the dark and lain down the same.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Natasha. If the killer were hiding in the room, there would be some difficulty, given the small space. If he were to REMAIN hidden, then she must have undressed in the dark and lain down the same.

Cheers.
              LC
              Hi Lynn

I was thinking maybe he hid under the bed. I know there is the wash basin thing under the bed, but he may have been propped right up against the partition.

I think he may have lay in wait. If he didn't know Kelly, then I think maybe he had stalked her and was looking for an opportunity to strike. When MJK was in the company of Joe etc, the ripper could not have struck then. He strike at the precise time when Kelly was alone. I definitely think he had been watching her, because of the following: missing key, time window in which to strike, knowledge of gaining access to the room

Comment

Natasha,

The wash basin thing was a gazunder.

MrB

Comment

Has anyone ever considered that the whole missing key story was a lie by Barnett?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                    Natasha,

The wash basin thing was a gazunder.

MrB

Hi MrB

Because the size of it looks quite big, I didn't think it was that

Thinking about it now if the pot was filled, and the ripper was hiding under there, then he really was a nutcase

Comment

The story Barnett told about the missing key,and using the broken window to get in, is odd. Looking at the photograph of the dwelling the broken pane seems to be on the top right. It seems very unlikely to me that anyone could reach the door at that angle. Maybe the key was never missing at all? Why would Barnett feel the need to lie?
                      Last edited by Amanda Sumner; 08-14-2014, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                        Has anyone ever considered that the whole missing key story was a lie by Barnett?
                        Hi Harry

Yes

I have mentioned in a few posts that something doesn't add up about him. He was quick to id MJK, and I would have thought if he really cared about kelly, then he would be eager to disprove that it was Kelly. How can anyone id someone by their eyes & ears (cut/damaged ears may I add)

He was also, as far as I know, the only person to mention the lost key. I don't think anyone else commented on this. So that being said he may have been lying. He may have had the key in his possession all the time. Why? the murderer could then spend as long as he wanted in the room, while the door was locked.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Sumner View Post
                          The story Barnett told about the missing key,and using the broken window to get in, is odd. Looking at the photograph of the dwelling the broken pane seems to be on the top right. It seems very unlikely to me that anyone could reach the door at that angle. Maybe the key was never missing at all?
                          Hi Amanda

I believe this also. I don't think McCarthy would have let the door be broken open with an axe. He after all looked through the window, why did he not see the connection with the window and the opening of the door?

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
                            Hi Amanda

I believe this also. I don't think McCarthy would have let the door be broken open with an axe. He after all looked through the window, why did he not see the connection with the window and the opening of the door?
                            With The amount of police hanging around outside one would have thought that somebody would have noticed the broken pane and reached in to open the door. I doubt it was possible, the broken pane was too high up. However I don't think Barnett was our man. He may well have had the key but he would have been the number one suspect at that time. Maybe he felt it was easier to say it was missing than to be accused of an extremely violent murder. Whatever his reasons, I believe he lied about the key.

Comment

Working...
                            X