How close have people gotten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marie Jeanette Davies View Post

Only if disinterring a murder victim or someone who died a suspicious death's remains can lead to the solution of the case. I doubt that many people would agree to go that far in order to solve a 132 year-old mystery.
    It's the amount of bodies that need to be gone through, the potential disruption to mass remains. Doing that on a historical whim, as it seems, doesn't merit that level of disinterment.

For the record, I think Prosectors research was sound, it's a great lead, it won't solve these crimes, but if his research is correct, it could identify MJK. But I totally get the churches view, why they don't think that it merits that level of archeology. Maybe in the future they will?
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

It's the amount of bodies that need to be gone through, the potential disruption to mass remains. Doing that on a historical whim, as it seems, doesn't merit that level of disinterment.

For the record, I think Prosectors research was sound, it's a great lead, it won't solve these crimes, but if his research is correct, it could identify MJK. But I totally get the churches view, why they don't think that it merits that level of archeology. Maybe in the future they will?
      Yes, exactly. As a person who is interested in the Ripper case and the woman known as Mary Jane Kelly in particular, I'd want her remains to be searched for obviously. On the other hand, I get the Catholic church's point of view too. I'm not that much of a religious person; actually I'm more spiritual than religious, but I think that the dead should rest in peace. Part of me hopes they will change their mind, one day. However, Prosector's research is quite impressive. His theory about MJK being Elizabeth Weston-Davies isn't too far-fetched.
      "So while life does remain, in memoriam I'll retain this small violet I plucked from Mother's grave."

Stefania Elisabetta
      Pet mama and music fan.

Comment

Yes, exactly. As a person who is interested in the Ripper case and the woman known as Mary Jane Kelly in particular, I'd want her remains to be searched for obviously. On the other hand, I get the Catholic church's point of view too. I'm not that much of a religious person; actually I'm more spiritual than religious, but I think that the dead should rest in peace. Part of me hopes they will change their mind, one day. However, Prosector's research is quite impressive. His theory about MJK being Elizabeth Weston-Davies isn't too far-fetched.
        Are all of the victims buried in such a communal way? Do any have a grave of their own?

Comment

Originally posted by clark2710 View Post

Are all of the victims buried in such a communal way? Do any have a grave of their own?
          Space was very tight for many places. I am only aware of MJK as being the only victim most likely to be in a communal grave. Some of the victim she exact locations were never clearly marked or located. I cite Annie Chapman in particular. Also, graves sites have been re-used by cemeteries down the years, so movement is hugely possible through disturbance. In fact, there is also the risk that some remains in coffins were dug up and burned in order to make more room for more recently deceased in the graveyard. It was a practice by many graveyards with limited burial space. I believe Mary Nichols & Catherine Eddowes are at the City of London Crematorium & Cemetery and their burial spots are clearly marked. Space is only becoming an issue there in recent years. Stride is buried at East London cemetery and would appear to be easy enough to find.

The cholera outbreak of 1850's can actually be partially attributed to city centre churches disposing the dead into the sewer systems in order to keep the numbers down in the limited burial space they had. The victorians period was one of great double standards in many ways. How to handle the dead was one such example.
          Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
          JayHartley.com

Comment

Exhumation can only be sanctioned by the Home Office as far as I’m aware.

Comment

Working...
            X