Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry D
    replied
    There's no reason to think it wasn't Mary Kelly found slain in Miller's Court.

Leave a comment:

• Michael W Richards
    replied
    The issue on the id is is how she was displayed for the witness. As we see her in the pictures that have survived she would only be distinguishable to someone who knew her very well. Part of that is due to a flap of forehead skin flopped over her brow and eyes. One imagines that they would place it back where it came from, and that likelihood suggests that the witness saw her much differently than we can. That being said, one witness who fits that "known to the victim" well is Barnett of course, and he could only identify her "air and eyes" I think those 2 features would be the only ones worth betting on.

Does Barnetts id, if truthful, mean that the woman is actually Mary Jane Kelly though? It may just mean its the one who identified herself as such to him.

Leave a comment:

• mpriestnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Most people are not identified by their arms, legs, feet, etc.
    Her hair was her most identifiable feature.
    Then the authorities were free to pass off who they like for Kelly.

If they were serious about making a genuine identification they would use the best available evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Most people are not identified by their arms, legs, feet, etc.
    Her hair was her most identifiable feature.

Leave a comment:

• mpriestnall
    replied
    She was not Welsh. She was not Irish. She was not Catholic.

She did not die at Miller's Court. She was not buried at St Patrick's.

Why do you think she was identified by her eyes/ears/hair instead of the more valuable evidential means of being identified by her arms, legs, feet or hands?

Leave a comment:

• clark2710
    replied
    I answered another question here as I have multiple tabs open atm. That's quite the quest and wish you have and I wish you all the luck in the world accomplishing it
    Last edited by clark2710; 04-27-2021, 02:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael W Richards
    replied
    Originally posted by Jurriaan Maessen View Post
    If indeed there is but one discernable coffin present in the site as roughly calculated earlier by the University of Leicester, it's still dependent on the accuracy of the calculated location. If I understand correctly from the published survey, there were 6 or 7 other persons buried in the plot where Kelly was placed, so it still seems like a long shot, but perhaps one worth pursuing. Should Weston-Davies' attempts at exhumation somehow prove succesful, and the "single intact casket" indeed encapsulate the remains of our beloved protagonist, we may at last secure a burial befitting the last victim of the canonical five. Again: not so much to discount or verify kinship to the author, but to appropriate proper burial for poor Mary Jane. After all, she deserves nothing less.
    It would be nice to have her real name.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    First of all, they don't even know which bones are Mary Kelly's in that grave, do they?
    They don’t even know where her grave is at.

JM

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    First of all, they don't even know which bones are Mary Kelly's in that grave, do they?

Realistically, what DNA evidence could they hope to unearth?

Leave a comment:

• Losmandris
    replied
    That's a shame. End of the road Prospector?

Tristan

Leave a comment:

• Harmonica
    replied
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ic-church.html

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Originally posted by Jurriaan Maessen View Post
    If indeed there is but one discernable coffin present in the site as roughly calculated earlier by the University of Leicester, it's still dependent on the accuracy of the calculated location. If I understand correctly from the published survey, there were 6 or 7 other persons buried in the plot where Kelly was placed, so it still seems like a long shot, but perhaps one worth pursuing. Should Weston-Davies' attempts at exhumation somehow prove succesful, and the "single intact casket" indeed encapsulate the remains of our beloved protagonist, we may at last secure a burial befitting the last victim of the canonical five. Again: not so much to discount or verify kinship to the author, but to appropriate proper burial for poor Mary Jane. After all, she deserves nothing less.
    In the 1940s, two meters of earth was added to build up the common grave area where Mary Kelly was buried to allow for new private plots. The GPR that Wynne refers to, aimed at the plot where her headstone is currently located, detected a coffin 1 meter or less deep, meaning it’s very likely- if not definitely-a coffin from a mid-20th century burial. This was all discussed in University of Leicester’s study.

JM

Leave a comment:

• MsWeatherwax
    replied
    Originally posted by Prosector View Post
    I agree that the 1887 date is a bit out of line with the dates that MJK arrived in the East End which was presumably after having been introduced to prostitution by her Cardiff relatives and was apparently in late 1886. Still the fact that Elizabeth Weston Davies had relatives of that name in Cardiff and that she (or someone else) was going under the name of Mary Jane Weston is interesting. It was also reported that Mary Jane Weston had a previous conviction for keeping a disorderly house in Cardiff and had been sentenced to two months imprisonment so that may have been some time previously.

In reply to Ms Weatherwax - Such evidence that there is suggests that she was not buried in a pauper's grave. Henry Wilton, the sexton of St Leonard's Shoreditch who paid for the funeral, attempted later to raise money to erect a headstone (which didn't happen) and that was not usual with a pauper's grave. We have done GPR and there appears to be a single intact casket in the grave. I am reasonably confident that it is hers and that there is a fair chance of recovering useable DNA. I too am disappointed that UL are reluctant to become involved but, having met them, this is as much because of the fear of intrusion by onlookers and unwanted spectators as not having identified the correct grave.

Prosector
    That's very exciting news, Prosector. Thank you for getting back to me, I appreciate it.

Well, whatever the next stage is I wish you luck. I'll be sure to check back periodically to see what's happening. "Mary-Jane" and the other ladies who died are far more interesting to me than the Ripper, so it would be lovely if you were able to put a face and name to her.

Leave a comment:

• Jurriaan Maessen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Losmandris
    replied
    Do keep us informed Prosector this sounds like intriguing stuff! What is the process like for requesting an exhumation? Tricky one would imagine?

Tristan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X