No announcement yet.

Severed limbs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't locate this article at the time this thread was active.
    I originally posted this article a few years ago to a thread about Kelly's missing heart.
    I noted at the time that the unnamed doctor, present at the post mortem, who was said to have given the reporter information about Mary Kelly's missing heart was accurate in the way he described the method of removal of the heart from below. These details were held back at the post mortem but we know from Bond's report, returned in 1887, that this is an accurate description of the method used.
    The reason I am posting it here is because the same source also mentions that the same doctor had also come to the conclusion that the murderer made an attempt to decapitate the victim.
    So could it be that there was no mix up by Phillips between Annie Chapman and Mary Jane Kelly's neck wounds and he had actually made that conclusion?

"One of the doctors who assisted in the post mortem examination of the body of Mary Jane Kelly, the last Whitechapel victim, has come to the conclusion that the murderer has no anatomical knowledge since in taking the heart out he cut through the diaphragm instead of opening the sternum. The uterus it seems, too, is not missing, as was once stated, but the heart is. The doctor has also come to the conclusion that the murderer made an attempt to decapitate the victim."
    Dundee Evening Telegraph Nov 17th 1888

Comment

Working...
    X