• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severed limbs.....

The Times
    25th Sept 1889

Right leg or left ?

CORONER. - I should like to ask Dr. Phillips whether there is any similarity in the cutting off of the legs in this case and the one that was severed from the woman in Dorset-street?
    Dr. Phillips. - I have not noticed any sufficient similarity to convince me it was the person who committed both mutilations, but the division of the neck and attempt to disarticulate the bones of the spine are very similar to that which was effected in this case.
    You can lead a horse to water.....

Oops!
    Last edited by DJA; 09-07-2019, 08:52 PM.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
      Oops!
      Quiet in here isn't it Dave ....

Comment

I assume this was in relation to the Pinchin Street Torso?

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post

Quiet in here isn't it Dave ....
          Prolly coz ya might have Chapman listed in a Mary Kelly thread ..... I think ..... or perhaps pulling our legs.

Confusing OP.

Wanna post the full article?

Comment

Prolly coz ya might have Chapman listed in a Mary Kelly thread ..... I think ..... or perhaps pulling our legs.

Confusing OP.

Wanna post the full article?
            It's from the Pinchin Street inquest mate not Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by seanr View Post
              I assume this was in relation to the Pinchin Street Torso?
              Yes Sean
              Phillips testimony on being recalled .
              The coroner was aware that one leg was removed at Millers Court. Phillips offered no denial

Comment

Is it Phillips job to correct the statements of others, or make his own? Ive never read anywhere that Phillips said a leg was removed..at any rate before they put her into a box, nor did Bond say anything like that. I did see references to her right arm being almost disarticulated.
                Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                  Is it Phillips job to correct the statements of others, or make his own? Ive never read anywhere that Phillips said a leg was removed..at any rate before they put her into a box, nor did Bond say anything like that. I did see references to her right arm being almost disarticulated.
                  When asked a direct question under oath then yes .
                  He was asked if there was a similarity between the removal of the legs of the torso and of the the removal of the leg in Dorset Street.
                  He had not noticed sufficient similarity

Well ,there is zero similarity between a torso with no legs removed and a corpse without legs removed in terms of how they were removed

Maybe Bond didn't spot the leg had been removed.....
                  we know he struggled badly with the chemise.
                  Unlike everyone who saw the Pinchin Street torso it has to be said .
                  Nobody described it as naked ..... twice lol

Comment

I did see references to her right arm being almost disarticulated.
                    ...and those were wrong. The arm was only "abducted" (i.e. lifted at an angle) away from the side of her body. "Abducted" has subsequently been misunderstood to mean full or partial removal.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post

It's from the Pinchin Street inquest mate not Chapman
                      The division of the neck was Chapman.

You have posted under a Mary Kelly victim heading,which confuses further.

Figured it was Pinchin.

Not fussed

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        ...and those were wrong. The arm was only "abducted" (i.e. lifted at an angle) away from the side of her body. "Abducted" has subsequently been misunderstood to mean full or partial removal.
                        I know that quote Sam, just as you know the other quote that has been posted often on this point...that states her right arm was almost cut free. The angle doesnt impact that possibility.
                        Michael Richards

Comment

I read the same report in a different paper.
                          It was pretty much the same the except the word limbs is used in place of legs.

Dr. Phillips, recalled, was asked by the coroner if there was any similarity in the way in which the limbs were severed in this case and in the Dorset-street case: and he replied that he did not find sufficient similarity to convince him that it was the same person who performed the operation, but the division of the neck, and the attempt disarticulate the bones of the spine in the Dorset-street case were very similar to that which was effected here.
                          Last edited by Yabs; 09-09-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I know that quote Sam, just as you know the other quote that has been posted often on this point...that states her right arm was almost cut free.
                            I don't know that quote, actually.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

The division of the neck was Chapman.

You have posted under a Mary Kelly victim heading,which confuses further.

Figured it was Pinchin.

Not fussed
                              in Mary Jane's case "The neck was cut through the skin & other tissues right down to the vertebrae the 5th & 6th being deeply notched" and this is where the division occurred in the case of the Pinchin Street torso- "The spinal column was divided at the junction of the 5th and 6th cervical vertebrae." Perhaps that was the similarity?

Comment

Working...
                              X