Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• names

Hello Debs. Thanks.

Wonder if "The Echo" has any names for the RIC chaps at Miller's court?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• "...The relatives of the murdered woman, who were expected in London yesterday, have not yet arrived. The deceased had been of late years a cause of great trouble to her friends, who would not be anxious to put themselves to any trouble on her account..."

Manchester Evening News, November 15, 1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
        "...The relatives of the murdered woman, who were expected in London yesterday, have not yet arrived. The deceased had been of late years a cause of great trouble to her friends, who would not be anxious to put themselves to any trouble on her account..."

Manchester Evening News, November 15, 1888
        Stunning!
        No mention of where they came from, or which relatives were being expected?
        This does tend to suggest the authorities did locate someone.
        Why the switch from 'relatives' to 'friends'? Who are these friends who are no longer anxious about her that the article makes reference to?
        Were they the 'cousins' that she talked about?

The story that her father came looking for her in Pennington St. (whom she made efforts to avoid?) suggested to me it might have been due to her 'wayward' habits.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Thankyou Scott.
        Regards, Jon
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Relatives & friends

Hi Scott/Jon

I think the newspapers made up the whole cloth here...I've nowhere seen any verified accounts that offer any credence whatever to relatives turning up, or even expected to be turning up...and in his book "Will the real Mary Kelly...?" neither, it would appear, has Chris Scott, (who has to be just about THE authority on MJKs life). IMHO totally press speculation...

All the best

Dave

PS I've just checked and it's discussed briefly in Chapter 9 of Chris's book
          Last edited by Cogidubnus; 05-02-2012, 01:49 AM. Reason: PS added

Comment

• You might be right Dave, but to what end?
            A local London paper might find some mileage out of such a story, but way up in Manchester?, who would care?
            If someone was going to invent a false story, wouldn't they include a tad more detail?

The more we learn, the less we know....

Regards, Jon S.
            P.S.
            If "they" were expected in London, who was expecting them? and where is the London version of this?
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Hi Jon

I think the papers shared agency circulated stories, hence the similarities between certain stories worldwide...this was/is a newspapers lazy way of filling space (vide the Central News Agency)...It's discussed in a number of places, but I seem to remember seeing it mentioned in Paul Beggs JtR The Facts...I may be wrong but I seem to recall it in connection with Leather Apron (I may be wrong there though...it's been a while)...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• London

Hello Dave. If you like newspaper stories, try "The Daily Telegraph" for 13 November. They have the siblings living in London.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                  Hi Jon

I think the papers shared agency circulated stories,
                  Oh, for certain they did, quite true., or more correctly the papers bought the same stories from the same agencies. Some papers also modified these stories.
                  I'm interested in where the London version is. The implication in the wording is that this story originated in London.

Regards, Jon S.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• I'm interested in where the London version is. The implication in the wording is that this story originated in London.
                    As you surmise Jon, that would be very interesting!

Hello Dave. If you like newspaper stories, try "The Daily Telegraph" for 13 November. They have the siblings living in London.
                    Hi Lynn...REALLY?...good grief...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Oh, brothers!

Hello Dave. I'll copy and paste the snippet below.

Cheers.
                      LC

"She said she had one sister, who was respectable, who travelled from market place to market place. This sister was very fond of her. There were six brothers living in London, and one was in the army. One of them was named Henry. I never saw the brothers to my knowledge."

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                        Oh, for certain they did, quite true., or more correctly the papers bought the same stories from the same agencies. Some papers also modified these stories.
                        I'm interested in where the London version is. The implication in the wording is that this story originated in London.

Regards, Jon S.
                        The story appears in the London Standard of the same date and has been discussed before, although the friends are not mentioned in that version. The Standard goes on to say the funeral was postponed again because of the family not arriving.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                          Hello Dave. I'll copy and paste the snippet below.

Cheers.
                          LC

"She said she had one sister, who was respectable, who travelled from market place to market place. This sister was very fond of her. There were six brothers living in London, and one was in the army. One of them was named Henry. I never saw the brothers to my knowledge."
                          Hi Lynn.
                          If you type "six brothers living" into the Press Reports Search window you'll see a few different versions of that.

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                          The story appears in the London Standard of the same date and has been discussed before, although the friends are not mentioned in that version. The Standard goes on to say the funeral was postponed again because of the family not arriving.
                          Thankyou, so is it fair to assume the authorities did locate her family?

If we do allow for that possibility, then maybe we should stick with Mary/Marie Jane/Jeanette Kelly" as her genuine name as that must have been what the police used in their search, yes?

Very good, thanks, Jon S.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• The implication is that the story broke first in the northern counties (where it's reported) because that's the direction by which Kelly's family or friends made their way to London. For some reason the London press may have been been given orders (by police?) to sequester information on the family or friends arrival by the time they reached in London --apparently after her inquest had ended. Thus, the family could cooperate with the police without interference from the London press.
                            Last edited by Scott Nelson; 05-02-2012, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• Scott.
                              I take it that it would require someone to be expecting the family in London, therefore it was in London where it was first realized that they had not appeared. Hence, the story broke in London.
                              We cannot trust that the Family was coming from Ireland, they could have been travelling from Wales, so nothing to do with the northern counties.

Regards, Jon S.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• . . .what I read in the papers . . .

Hello Jon. Thanks.

"if you type "six brothers living" into the Press Reports Search window you'll see a few different versions of that."

Absolutely. But, as I said, if you like newspaper stories . . .

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X