Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Hi Debs

I think it's about 25 to 30 miles from the Western borders of the County of Limerick...so not an impossible distance...

All the best

Dave
    Thanks, Dave. I thought it looked nearish.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post

MJK couldn't have been any of those colors? And this from a black and white photo? Again, we don't know her hair color, or maybe you do and the rest of us don't.

Mike
      I agree, I just don't know.

Comment

Hi.
        Mary Kelly's hair colour was described well by the son of McCarthy , that is if one takes the view of his grand daughter Ms Kendall Lane.
        Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi.
          Mary Kelly's hair colour was described well by the son of McCarthy , that is if one takes the view of his grand daughter Ms Kendall Lane.
          Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
            Hi.
            Regards Richard.
            Hearsay. Inadmissible.

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Debs, the reason I dismissed John Ward was the fact he had married in 1882 in Ireland which suggests he had not gone to Wales, If supposedly 'John Kelly' had gone to Wales to find work with family when Mary was a child that suggests a date of the 1870s.
              I checked Wards in Wales [looking for the father] under common first names starting with John, I could not find any Wards who originated in Ireland,on the 1881 census, they were all Welsh.
              I am looking at all the first fifty common Limerick surnames to see the frequency of these names in Wales and how many had an Irish origin and if any family matches Mary's family starting with the name John for the father.
              This will take ages, some names are more frequent than others, but I am hoping a pattern will emerge or something will stand out, you never know.

Miss Marple

Comment

schedule

Hello Debs. Thanks.

"Well, we know members of the RIC were definitely over from Ireland in November to give evidence, so, perhaps they planned to take in the Lords Mayor's Show too?"

Quite reasonable, schedule permitting. I can consult MacDonald's diary for the days of their testimony. Would this help? Was there a time frame for their testimonies vs. their coming to London?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                  Debs, the reason I dismissed John Ward was the fact he had married in 1882 in Ireland which suggests he had not gone to Wales, If supposedly 'John Kelly' had gone to Wales to find work with family when Mary was a child that suggests a date of the 1870s.
                  I checked Wards in Wales [looking for the father] under common first names starting with John, I could not find any Wards who originated in Ireland,on the 1881 census, they were all Welsh.
                  I am looking at all the first fifty common Limerick surnames to see the frequency of these names in Wales and how many had an Irish origin and if any family matches Mary's family starting with the name John for the father.
                  This will take ages, some names are more frequent than others, but I am hoping a pattern will emerge or something will stand out, you never know.

Miss Marple
                  I was just curious about you saying he was too old, MM. I'm just very interested in what different criteria people are using to rule individuals in/out or make them possible.
                  I probably don't think Ward is the right man either, though I wonder if a soldier could marry where he was stationed rather than where he had once lived? There are a few male Wards in the 1881 census born in Ireland and living in Wales, do you mean Wards who were too old or young or in the wrong county in wales?
                  Good luck with the Limerick surnames research. Sounds like a lot of hard work!
                  Hopefully something might come out of it.
                  Last edited by Debra A; 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Quite reasonable, schedule permitting. I can consult MacDonald's diary for the days of their testimony. Would this help? Was there a time frame for their testimonies vs. their coming to London?

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Hi Lynn. I would have no idea when they came over in relation to when they testified even if I knew when they testified. I suppose we could see how long they stayed by the date of the watch stealing and other times they are mentioned in the papers? For example the death of a witness staying at the Caledonian Hotel occurred in November and an RIC man is mentioned as sharing a room with him, or knowing him, something like that.
                    The RIC are not listed as taking part in the Lord Mayor's Show in any official capacity as far as I can see looking at the PMG list of participants.
                    Last edited by Debra A; 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• I'll check.

Hello Debs. Thanks. Think I'll check on testimony dates. Maybe something will pop up.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• R I C

Hello Debs. Just found a Bernard O'Malley, RIC, who testified on 30 October and again 1 November. Irwin also testified then.

On 7 November we have a Welsh and Barry. Barry began testimony the day before.

Any good?

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• R I C

Hello (again) Debs. Just found a Bernard O'Malley, RIC, who testified on 30 October and again 1 November. Irwin also testified then.

Any good?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• R I C

Hello Debs. Just found a Bernard O'Malley, RIC, who testified on 30 October and again 1 November. Irwin also testified then.

Any good?

(I've posted this twice before, but does not show up. Suppose the bloody machine is being stubborn. Third time's . . .)

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• I hate computers

Hello Debs. Oh, NOW they show up. (That's why I'm a neo-Luddite.)

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Thanks very much, Lynn.
                                I think it's happening to others too (Richard earlier I think). I knew you had posted something new but couldn't read it until just now!
                                I'll check those out with the things I mentioned. See if any members of the RIC stretched their jollies out from the end of October until the middle of November.

Comment

Working...
                                X