No announcement yet.

Kellys in the Scots Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Mr. Begg. Yes, a good bit of digging.

Someday?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
      Hi Paul,

"A tad odd" should be writ large in the understatement Hall of Fame.

Regards,

Simon
      Indeed. My exclamation mark was intended to convey that it was an understatement!

Comment

• Hyacinth Buki?

Hello Simon. Say, fancy goods? Interesting. That would go along with those clothes.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra A View Post
          Plus, wouldn't the inquest be more concerned with the events of Thursday night/Friday morning and less about Mary's past? That would have been more of a police concern maybe?

Re: Buki
          There's also similar sounding names like Bucci Bucki, Buckie, Bucky, Bookey and many other variations that might be worth considering too.

...although neither of these things has anything to do with the Scots Guards.
          Insofar as the inquest was to determine the events surrounding and the cause of death, yes, but as was Wynne Baxter's growing concern, with a series of crimes to which there was no foreseeable resolution, it was also important to take under oath the testimony of witnesses who could prove to be unavailable at a later date. But overall, Mrs Phoenix's testimony was largely second-hand as it was with 'Mrs Carthy' that Kelly had stayed.

Comment

• Sir Ed's escapades

Hello Norma. Thanks. Yes, and "Miss Worth's" friend was Llewelynn Winter--a target for Monro. He escaped to France after being tipped by Sir Ed.

Davitt inadvertently tipped Sullivan about Dr. Cronin. But Davitt and Sir Ed met in Paris, mid-October, to do some "horse trading." Did Sir Ed slip and say something about MJK?

Davitt then (according to Campbell) had a "friendly chat" with John P Hayes--the London Bridge informant for Sir Ed. (Recall the explosion of 1884? 2 Lomasneys died as did a Fleming. I contacted the Lomasney family but they did not know who John Fleming was.)

All interesting stuff.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• cast

Hello Norma, Simon. Not to mention Red Jim was actively blackmailing Sir Ed.

What a cast!

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                Hello Norma. Thanks. Yes, and "Miss Worth's" friend was Llewelynn Winter--a target for Monro. He escaped to France after being tipped by Sir Ed.

Davitt inadvertently tipped Sullivan about Dr. Cronin. But Davitt and Sir Ed met in Paris, mid-October, to do some "horse trading." Did Sir Ed slip and say something about MJK?

Davitt then (according to Campbell) had a "friendly chat" with John P Hayes--the London Bridge informant for Sir Ed. (Recall the explosion of 1884? 2 Lomasneys died as did a Fleming. I contacted the Lomasney family but they did not know who John Fleming was.)

All interesting stuff.

Cheers.
                LC
                Lynn,
                Have you contacted Cambell about Mrs Worth and Co? His sources might provide a little more info or suggest a route for further investigation. He invited me to the launch of Fenian Fire, but I lost contact ages ago. He seemed quite approachable though. He has a new book out called Target London. I'm sure you could make contact via Little, Brown.

Comment

• Buki

Hi Paul, how are you?

Hi everybody. I'm just catching up with the thread after being gone for a few days- lots of interesting issues have been raised!

When I first saw the name "Buki", it reminded me of French surnames like "De Buque". To an English speaker unfamiliar with French pronunciation "De Buque" could look like it's pronounced "De Buki".

"Buki" also struck me as possibly having Jewish origins, so I looked it up and found that "Buki" is indeed a Jewish surname. It has variants which include "Bukic", "Bukid", etc.

Here's a Jewish genealogy site which covers the name Buki: http://www.hebrewsurnames.com/BUKI

Hope this might be of use to those of you researching Mrs. Buki.

Best regards,
                  Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                    Hi Paul, how are you?

Hi everybody. I'm just catching up with the thread after being gone for a few days- lots of interesting issues have been raised!

When I first saw the name "Buki", it reminded me of French surnames like "De Buque". To an English speaker unfamiliar with French pronunciation "De Buque" could look like it's pronounced "De Buki".

"Buki" also struck me as possibly having Jewish origins, so I looked it up and found that "Buki" is indeed a Jewish surname. It has variants which include "Bukic", "Bukid", etc.

Here's a Jewish genealogy site which covers the name Buki: http://www.hebrewsurnames.com/BUKI

Hope this might be of use to those of you researching Mrs. Buki.

Best regards,
                    Archaic
                    Hi A,
                    I'm fine, thanks. And you? Interesting stuff. Most of the names I found on Ancestry are 'foreign', but most post-date 1888 and/or don't appear in the Census. A Kasche Buki was born in St. George in the East in 1900. And there's a Hans Buki from Berlin in 1911. So they were kicking around. Just not easy to find.

Comment

• Hi All,

Returning to the subject of the thread

If, as has been suggested may be the case, MJK had Fenian links, what view would the authorities have taken of her having a brother serving in the Scots Guards, who had just been posted to Ireland?
                      Depending on where her sympathies lay, brother Henry could have been a Fenian agent infiltrating the British Army or a British soldier who was used to infiltrate one of the organisations within the Fenian umbrella. The latter would be a very good reason for his name not appearing in the official lists.

Regards, Bridewell.
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• thanks

Hello Mr. Begg. Thanks. Say, I should have come to you a year or two ago.

I did not know:

1. How to approach him.

2. If he would be receptive.

Thanks again.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• SB

Hello Colin. Hmm, there's an idea. But would penetration of Irish terror targets have been under the auspices of the military? I was thinking more along the lines of Special Branch.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                            Cue Trevor ...
                            You trying to get me banned ?

Comment

• Perhaps...

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                                You trying to get me banned ?
                                Not me, Trev. Besides, there's no-one around here with your singular gift of tact and diplomacy.

Comment

Working...
                                X