• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Brad,

A very good story.

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post

Just a thought that is connected. Eddowes was apparently drunk and disorderly when picked up on the evening of her murder. Why wasn't she charged? She was drunk enough to be wheeled away to the police station...
      Just a thought.

best wishes

Phil
      Hi Phil,

Didn't the police have a general policy of chucking drunks in the cells until they had dried out and not actually doing anything more? I'm not sure if the City had a different policy than the Met or if it depended on whichever duty sergeant was in charge that night?

Maybe someone else does?

Regards,
      If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
        Could someone post the actual article or give us a URL to see the article in The Evening World (New York, N.Y.), November 13, 1888? Thanks in advance.

Don't forget that "Kelly" and "Mary Jane Kelly" were very common names so the description might not have been given by the murdered woman. Additionally, remember that Eddowes sometimes went by the name of Kelly, so there may be confusion about which victim was meant.

Chris
        Actually not as common as you might think. There is not a single Mary Jane Kelly or Mary J Kelly or any variants thereof listed in the whole of the Censuses for England and Wales between the years 1861 and 1891. Surprising?

Comment

Lot

Well there are 18 Mary Jane Kelly's born in England between 1850 and 1870.that are registered. None in London
          A couple on the census records in 1881 up north.
          One born in Dublin 1864
          Not many, compared to the number of plain Mary's or Mary Ann's
          A lot of people don't mention their middle names on census records.

Miss Marple
          It would be good if drunk Mary was our girl, 22?

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
            Well there are 18 Mary Jane Kelly's born in England between 1850 and 1870.that are registered. None in London
            A couple on the census records in 1881 up north.
            One born in Dublin 1864
            Not many, compared to the number of plain Mary's or Mary Ann's
            A lot of people don't mention their middle names on census records.

Miss Marple
            It would be good if drunk Mary was our girl, 22?
            Howsabout Limerick, Ireland?

Jon S.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Well i ve flagged this up before, Mary Kelly born Castletown Limerick 1864 parents John Kelly and Anne McCarthy brother John 1866, brother Peter 1868.

Where did Jane come from, who said that was her middle name? did'nt Barnett say her middle name was Jeanette, maybe it was originally Jean or Josephine, or maybe it was invented,
              Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                Well i ve flagged this up before, Mary Kelly born Castletown Limerick 1864 parents John Kelly and Anne McCarthy brother John 1866, brother Peter 1868.
                Well thankyou for taking the trouble to repeat your 'flag'. I had mentioned that Kelly's mother's maiden name was McCarthy several weeks ago but then I couldn't locate where it had been discovered.

All the best, Jon S.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Well I just did a quick BMD search on Mary Jane Kelly and This is the link. There are tons of them. So I'm not sure why none of them appear on the censuses...

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                    Hello Errata,

Not meaning to sound "out there" here, but that occured to me too. Could this be an early source that sheds light on the question of whether the woman killed in Miller's Court was "Mary Jane Kelly" or not?

Is this another example of the American newspapers having pieces of information and printing them that the British papers didn't? I refer here of course to the numerous examples of Tumblety, which we know all about.

best wishes

Phil
                    I happened to be in Norway when Diana died, in 1997. The paper i read there spoke of cocaine being found on the back seat of her car, whereas i dont recall this ever being mentioned in the english press. Perhaps this american press report is an early example of governements being able to gag their own press whilst all others have the freedom to write everything and anything they deem relevant "news".

Comment

Working...
                    X