No announcement yet.

Another anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made one for Mary Nichols, and Kensei has made one for each so far. Yeah, I agree, some do tend to be more interested in Kelly than others, but we mourn them all.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Thanks, Corey, for pointing out that I did decide this year to start threads like this for other of the murder anniversaries as well. Once begun, the replies are whatever they are. If Mary Jane gets more attention (which I admit, she does) I think it is mainly because her murder was just so over the top horrific, which is why I compared her to the Black Dahlia- both unsolved murders of young women involving very extreme mutilation. And "international woman of mystery" may have been colorful language but I was referring to how she had ties to Ireland, Wales, England, and possibly France and yet no one can even pin down who exactly she was. With the lives of the other victims very thoroughly documented, in that way she is unique.
      Last edited by kensei; 11-12-2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Some further thoughts for Chava-

You are right that Polly, Annie, Liz, Kate, and the other possible victims seem to get short shrift in comparison to Mary Jane Kelly. We can't deny it, but it seems to just be the way it is. Her young age, her life story as told by her, and the extreme way in which she died are responsible for this. Personally, I have never tried to place her in a more important position than any of the other victims, and how attractive she may or may not have been shouldn't have anything to do with it. I feel for Polly and Annie, both with their alcoholic broken marriages and lost children. I feel for Liz, because she seems to have possibly been a pathological liar and I have known one of those in my own life who's effected me greatly but I get that it's a mental illness and not an evil. And I feel for Kate because despite all her flaws she sounds like she would have been just a whole lot of fun to hang out with.

So basically, Chava, I get where you are coming from, but I don't think that the propensity for people to be drawn to MJK moreso than the other victims should result in the opposite effect- people slamming her as being less than she was. All of the victims lived on the fringes of society. Their deaths are all equally tragic.

Comment

I feel equally for all the women he slaughtered. Each one was a unique individual.
          As has been pointed out it is appropriate to remember each one on the anniversary of their deaths.

I feel for all the women living in the East End at the time not knowing if they'd be next but still having to make money.Living day to day hand to mouth.

Comment

Working...
          X