Another anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another anniversary

I write this at approximately 2:30 a.m. in the U.S., another solemn and somber night of reflection. For it was 122 years ago tonight that our favorite ginger-haired lass breathed and bled her last at the hands of a nameless fiend. We honor her by lamenting her sad life as well as her tragic death, and by continuing to puzzle over all the questions both large and small that she left us with. International woman of mystery, she is London's equivalent of the Black Dahlia.

"Last Dance with Mary Jane, One More Time to Kill the Pain"
    -Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Rest in peace, Mary.

Seeing as it is the anniversary of the murder of Jack the Ripper victim, Marie Jeanette Kelly, I shall post "Scarlett" for all to see... here you go! This movie that I made honors her memory. Which is why I made it!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- Part 1

...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM6...eature=related
    - Part 2
    Scarlett (2010) (Completed)

Witness a modernized retelling of London's most gruesome mutilation, the murder of Mary Jane Kelly at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw59rvBDUGs - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM64vWkLQ - Part 2

Comment

So tragic, so very tragic.... I only wish we could discover more about her. Or better yet, if instead she never met Jack the Ripper and we'd never knew a thing about her.
      "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

RIP Mary Jane Kelly

"A violet I plucked from Mother's grave when a boy"

Comment

Rest in Peace, for in death you had not even a face, perhaps wherever you rest now, you are whole again.

I honor Mary Kelly, and note this as the "official" end to ripper season. For some at least. Rest in peace all who fell in darkness by the hands of unseen faces, and nameless fiends.

Thank you Kensei.
          Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Mary, as you'll recall, planned to attend the Lord Mayor's Show. I wonder if it is still held on November 9th and, if so, whether any of our London members attended it.

Comment

Hello Maurice,

I do wounder. It would be a truly unique experience to attend one.
              Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

The Lord Mayors show, as it is now called, does still occur, on the second saturday of November.
                Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Ever since I played MJK onstage a couple of years ago, November 9th is a sad day for me. RIP, Mary. *raises a glass*

Comment

*raises glass as well*
                    "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Thank you everyone, these are exactly the kind of responses I was hoping to get with this thread.

Comment

She is very much like Elizabeth short so well known and yet such a mystery.

Requiescat In Pace Ultima

Comment

No she wasn't. The only mystery around Elizabeth Short was who killed her. Her identity was known almost immediately and her background was discovered very shortly thereafter. And that 'Black Dahlia' nickname came from the press.

I'm feeling dyspeptic because I don't see board members drooling over the other poor women--who were older and so might not have been so attractive. Although where anyone gets the idea that MJK was a beauty is beyond me. She had lovely hair, that's true. But absent a face or a photo that's all anyone knows about her. And I don't recall any of the people who did know her talking about what a stunner she was. Every one of the women who died deserved this kind of sympathy and only one gets it. I'm completely tired of the beatification of MJK. 'International woman of mystery' ? Do me a favour. She was an East End prostitute doing her best to get by. Like all the others. Let's cry for all of them, please.

Comment

Chava,

I don't know if you have noticed but we have been posting on every anniversary of every death, not just Kelly's. This thread really shouldn't be ruined by debate, but only honor. As it was the 9th of November, and not th 30th of September, or the 8th of September, or the 31st of August, I do believe honoring Kelly would be ok on that date.

Yes we honor all but that day was her day.
                            Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Corey, I'm sorry. I checked the other victims' threads and couldn't find a thread like this. And there has been a ton of discussion of the years of Lovely Mary while other victims went completely unnoticed and unmourned. If that's the case, please ignore my post above!

Comment

Working...
                              X