Did Mary know her attacker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all,

Don, are you saying that Maria, by spending the entire afternoon with Mary in her room, and bringing with her take-in laundry... that is found folded in the room, belonging to neither Maria or Mary, along with Mary receiving some coins from Maria, is not evidence that suggests Mary helped Maria with her laundry?

Paul, Mary was a prostitute, I brought up the laundry to show an example of how Liz Stride, and perhaps Mary Kelly, earned money for cleaning their last day....as we cannot be sure either was "working" the streets that same night. Anyone who says they did nothing but whore is being naive, and harsh.

Tron, thats why I said approximate. As far as evidence that suggests Mary Kelly was killed by someone she knew, perhaps you have another explanation for the killer coming into the court and her room by herself....and Ive already acknowledged it could have been accidental luck too.

Chava, if you look at pictures of courts like Millers Court from that era, you will see wash lines strung across the open area. The clothes were folded, meaning already washed, so the line may have been taken in when they were air dried. As far as Mary hooking that night, perhaps you like some others here have some secret evidence that Mary left her room after midnight, because as a matter of record, that has not been proven by anyone. In fact on record, it appears that she did not. If you choose to validate Hutchinsons sighting, or Maxwell or anyone else that is contrary to all other accepted evidence that night, thats your choice.

Sox, the only thing I can see with you is that you like being a pain in the a** with me. I said the accepted evidence of the night regarding Mary and her room, suggests that Mary did not go out that night, as we have no credible witness to suggest otherwise....which is 100% accurate.

Your points..."She was killed in her own room, half undressed, because she was a prostitute, and Victorian prostitutes undressed to their chemise before sex."

Really? Even prostitutes who dont use a room and solicit their clients on the street, as Barnett said Mary did? But you know differently... right. There is not one shred of evidence that Mary ever brought a client to her room...NOT ONE. Unless you and others believe her clients paid for singing.

"Kelly was almost certainly a different kind of prostitute than the others, do some research for yourself and see"

There are many here who have studied the crimes far more closely than I have, you're not one of them. Or as the church across from my apartment says on its message board...The two truths, There is a god, and you're not him.

"She died in her room because that is where she worked."

Since we know that the opposite is likely true, that she never entertained clients in her room, well done on that point. Not one drop of proof to support your claim.

"I have read every single part of the official files over and over again Michael, and at no point do police seriously consider that Kellys killer was a personal aquaintance or lover. There is not one single scrap of hard evidence that any of the victims knew their killer. What we do have is over a hundred years of supposition and opinion, that is NOT evidence."

You would think then that you would know Mary Kelly is one of around 11 alleged street prostitutes killed between 1888 and 1889, not a forensically determined Ripper victim, and she is the only one killed in her own bed.

To correct you on another point, there is indeed evidence that suggests Mary Kelly did not leave her room, and so Mary knowing her attacker is one of two answers as to how he found the room, gained access, and if Mary was then awake, why he was allowed to stay. For the last time....and I suggest you open you ears and eyes so you read it properly....there is no credible evidence on record that denies Mary stayed in. And if so, her killer either came to her room, or found her room available to him by chance. Either is possible.

I am losing my patience having to counter insults instead of actual counter-points, so for the sake future argumentative spew, perhaps it would be better if you all who crap on my posts can answer the following;

1. What proof is there that Mary Kelly left her room after 11:45pm? Again...please dont use discredited statements in your answer.

2. What proof is there that Mary Kelly ever brought a client to her room?

3. What other street prostitute is killed in her own room? Using all of 1888 and 1889 stats.

4. What evidence is there that Mary did not let her killer enter from the inside of her room?

5. What evidence is there that the killer did not know the window/latch method?

6. What evidence is there to state for certain only 1 man was involved in her death? Remember Jacks a lone wolf apparently.

7. What evidence exists that demonstrates only Jack the Ripper could cut women open? We have other killings that mirror Ripper style, but weren't attributed to him.

8. What evidence is there that Mary was soliciting at the time of her death, or when she meets her killer?

9. What evidence is there to suggest that Mary would go to work in the streets when it is raining, and she is already fed, drunk, and at home? Use her work ethic as gathered from friends testimony, and her "responsible" behavior on her rent arrears as a guideline.

10. What evidence is there that confirms Mary could not, and did not know her killer prior to her death? Is it the struggle that didnt she put up until attacked with the knife, is it the screams for help that she doesnt make when she finds someone at her door or in her room, or is it the way he forces himself in on her quietly?

In this instance, I could care less who agrees with me, as I quite obviously have the data foundation present to make the statements that seem controversial. I have no problem discussing valid points with anyone, but Ill be damned if Ill let insults take the place of sound rebuttal.

If I hear another "Mary went our whoring cause whores go out whoring and she was a whore"....or, "theres no evidence to suggest she may have known her killer"...despite the obvious fact someone very likely came to her room by themselves to kill her, that she dies in her own bed, undressed, and so she was very likely not acquired in "The Ripper" style...while they are actively soliciting, or at the very least, dressed and outdoors after midnight.

Ill leave the thread to you folks, as you obviously have a much greater grasp of the pertinent facts, and what logical reasoning is, than I do.

Its probably very freeing to be able to say Mary went whoring after midnight, without providing any accepted evidence to support that conjecture...that Mary brought clients to her room, despite that evidence on file that suggests she never had done that prior to Nov 1st, and Mary didnt know her attacker, without any proof that was the case.

Believe what you want, Im tired of pointing out the obvious and then having to explain it.

Regards.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2008, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sox View Post
      We agree on something.

So, we go from 'very probably' to 'known facts' and you cannot see why I have a problem with this??? These 'known facts' are known facts to exactly one person - you. There is no evidence, anywhere, that Mary Kelly knew her killer, none.

I cannot rule out personal attatchements in all the prior victims, and neither can anyone else! For all we know, the killer could very well have previously had sex with every single one of the victims. Now she's a washerwoman according to you!

Kelly could have known her killer yes, but there is nothing to suggest this is so. She was killed in her own room, half undressed, because she was a prostitute, and Victorian prostitutes undressed to their chemise before sex. Kelly was almost certainly a different kind of prostitute than the others, do some research for yourself and see. I have no idea why you try to make this woman out to be something she was not, or why you try to turn her death into something it was not.

She died in her room because that is where she worked.Some evidence with previous victims suggests that the victims themselves chose the location.

She died, half undressed, because that is how her particular class worked.

The only real mystery here, is who killed her.

I have read every single part of the official files over and over again Michael, and at no point do police seriously consider that Kellys killer was a personal aquaintance or lover. There is not one single scrap of hard evidence that any of the victims knew their killer. What we do have is over a hundred years of supposition and opinion, that is NOT evidence.
      Sox,

"The only real mystery here, is who killed her."

I know that my statements on this killing were a bit cryptic, but you have said what I have been holding back on, because I'm looking for someone to read between the lines, and not just going head to head on what you have stated here, this is great.

Killers today are not so different as the killers from the past.

Humans are a creature of habit.

I am on assignment and will not be able to respond as often, but will keep an eye on this.
      In the Land of the Blind, the one-eyed man is King !

Comment

• Originally posted by perrymason View Post
        Hi Gareth,

It certainly is if she never went out again after midnight though....something however distasteful to you, we cannot rule out using surviving documents and time-trusted statements on record.

Mary Ann Cox was trusted...her Blotchy Man becomes the primary suspect by Nov 16th...Sarah was trusted, her Wideawake Man may have helped spark a Pardon issuance within 24 hours, Elizabeth Prater is trusted apparently, since the key point of her testimony is not the "cat waking" but the status of Marys room when she ascends the stairs for bed, ...George Hutchinson was not trusted to have given an accurate suspect description, and due to its flowery embellishments, its impossible to believe it was accidental, and Caroline Maxwell was considered incorrect before taking the stand, she countered all accepted evidence about the corpse.

My best regards Sam.
        Okay, on page 378 of The Ultimate Jack The Ripper Companion Inspector Abberline states in his report that "I am under the opinion his, Hutchinson, statement is true" Why is there such a big debate about Hutchinson being believed. Abberline who interviewed him believd him.

Why is the most probable answer that her killer must have known her or her room. That is just an opinion. I am under the opinion that Kelly went back out after three met her attacker and brought him back to her place.

I can not prove anyone wrong. There is no stone cold evidence either way. Nobody can claim, in this case, that their theory is the most logical or probable

Comment

• Okay, on page 378 of The Ultimate Jack The Ripper Companion Inspector Abberline states in his report that "I am under the opinion his, Hutchinson, statement is true" Why is there such a big debate about Hutchinson being believed. Abberline who interviewed him believd him.
          We don't know that he did in the long run, Brad.

Unless the contemporary police suffered from collective police negligence and/or amnesia when penning their memoirs or giving interviews after 1888, we're left with an almost inescapable conclusion that at the very least the police came to discard Hutchinson's Astrakhan sighting as valueless as evidence for tracing a potential murderer.

Best regards,
          Ben
          Last edited by Ben; 03-03-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• [quote=Ben;3588

We don't know that he did in the long run, Brad.

Best regards,
            Ben[/quote]

Your gift for tact always makes me smile Ben. In fact, as early as November 15th..3 days after the taking of the statement George Hutchinson provided, Blotchy Man is the official suspect description. How or why aside, as either cannot be answered by any of us using existing documents, thats the historical perspective.

I would think that the Police who took Hutchinson's statement first hand expected some legitimate new truth, being from a man claiming to be Marys friend..they weren't gullible at all, its that Hutchinson sold his story......with his emphasis on details and the ability to recognize the man again on sight, he had not simply told his story.

Best regards Ben.

Comment

• To take on a couple of points:

The evidence that Mary left her room after 1.00 am. We know she was in her room then because she was singing. We also know that she entered that room with Blotchy Face at 11.45 as per Cox's statement which is believed. We also know that a partially undigested fish supper was found in her stomach and intestines. If she ate before 11.45, say around 11.30, that meal would have been more than partially digested by 1.15 which is when she was heard singing by Cox as Cox went out again. If we assume that after she stopped singing, she undressed and got into bed, that takes us to roughly 1.30 am. The doctors at the time put her death at around 3.00 am. Even if they are out by an hour, that meal is long gone from her stomach. Therefore I feel it's likely that she went out again after Blotchy Face left, and got or was gotten a fish supper. Now it's also possible that her murderer brought her said fish supper and she ate in her room. But if that's the case, there's no evidence to suggest it. And fish suppers don't half stink up a small space!

The totally discredited evidence of the man George Hutchinson: we know the description he gave the cops was not circulated after November 15th. So that part of his statement for whatever reason is out. However even though I am one of the leaders of the 'GH Is An Attention-Seeking Troll' school of thought, I can't dismiss his evidence of having seen Kelly outright. I'm not saying he did. But I am saying that the cops may have disbelieved his 'eye-witness description' of the killer but there is no evidence to suggest he made up the entire story. It's not beyond the bounds of belief that he saw Kelly that night.

Now, Sox, you didn't think you'd make a blanket statement like that about Victorian tarts and not have me after you, did you? Kelly may well have undressed to her chemise with a valued customer. Maybe she felt she could charge extra for giving him the West End Bordello treatment (for that was the whole reason behind that West End/Gone To France crap she was dishing out, I'm convinced!) However I would bet real money she wouldn't take off her stays unless her trick paid to spend the night. Those stays were hell to take on and off and women left them on until they got ready for sleep. And if her killer is the Ripper I don't see any reason why he would spend valuable ripping time hanging around while she took off all her clothes--except one stocking--got into her nightwear and made herself comfortable. Even if he did, and pretended to be a trick wanting to spend the night, I think it's more likely that Kelly would entertain him nude than put on her nightie, don't you?

And Perry is right. The women the Ripper killed went for knee-tremblers down back alleys where all they did was hoist their skirts and lean back against some grubby brick wall. No wonder they were called 'unfortunates'. Those poor women.

Comment

• Hi Chava,

Sleep and booze would have delayed the digestion process quite a bit. Therefore, it wouldn't be surprising if she had her last meal around 12:00am, for example.

Otherwise, good points all round.

Ben

Comment

Tron, thats why I said approximate. As far as evidence that suggests Mary Kelly was killed by someone she knew, perhaps you have another explanation for the killer coming into the court and her room by herself....and Ive already acknowledged it could have been accidental luck too.
                  The problem is she could have been killed any time after say 2 AM, that does not really help us when it comes to determining her time of death. I don't disagree with you, I just feel there are too many assumptions when it comes to MJK (the reason why I ultimately joined the board).

Ok, now I am trying my best to contribute to the points you raised...

1. What proof is there that Mary Kelly left her room after 11:45pm? Again...please dont use discredited statements in your answer.

Well, she must have been out to eat at least as can be deduced by the absence of food in her room.

2. What proof is there that Mary Kelly ever brought a client to her room?

There is no proof. She seems to have been a street prostitute, her addiction and the fact that she was outside looking for work seem to support this assumption. Statistically street prostitutes don't work indoors.

4. What evidence is there that Mary did not let her killer enter from the inside of her room?

There is little to no defensive wounds indicating she was incapacitated during the initial attack. Most likely she was asleep. If she had opened the door, she would not be partially undressed and had most likely focussed on the person in the room (looking at them). This would have given her an advantage during the intitial attack resulting in more defensive wounds. Of course there are alternatives that would work equally well.

5. What evidence is there that the killer did not know the window/latch method?

None since I believe there was no forensic team examining the lock. A lock pick would can not be ruled out. Furthermore it is possible whoever broke into the room might have "experimented". Unlikely but not impossible, the missing key could have come into the possession of the perpetrator.

6. What evidence is there to state for certain only 1 man was involved in her death? Remember Jacks a lone wolf apparently.

It is possible that there was an apprentice present, many serial killers were not working alone but there is of course no evidence to support this in this particular case.

7. What evidence exists that demonstrates only Jack the Ripper could cut women open? We have other killings that mirror Ripper style, but weren't attributed to him.

None of course. The real question is what makes this a Ripper murder?

8. What evidence is there that Mary was soliciting at the time of her death, or when she meets her killer?

No evidence but she was desperate for money so it is likely she was looking for johns. She had dinner and alcohol, so there must have been some income source.

9. What evidence is there to suggest that Mary would go to work in the streets when it is raining, and she is already fed, drunk, and at home? Use her work ethic as gathered from friends testimony, and her "responsible" behavior on her rent arrears as a guideline.

What came first? I think work came before dinner since she needed the money. It also seems she spent some money on drinking so responsible is no real argument here.

10. What evidence is there that confirms Mary could not, and did not know her killer prior to her death? Is it the struggle that didnt she put up until attacked with the knife, is it the screams for help that she doesnt make when she finds someone at her door or in her room, or is it the way he forces himself in on her [U]quietly?

There is no evidence of course. Whether she has known the attacker or not is not as important as whether she was aware who attacked her since she might have known the person but was not aware of their presence.

Comment

• Oh dear, Mike! This is turning into another "Did Mary go out after 1AM?" argument. As I've said more than once on this thread, the possibility that Mary went out again or not has almost no bearing on whether she knew her killer. An unknown killer or someone familiar could have killed her under both circumstances, so let's try not to confuse the debate.
                    Originally posted by perrymason
                    Since we know that the opposite is likely true, that she never entertained clients in her room
                    Aside from the paradox inherent in "knowing" something that is only "likely", we actually know nothing of the sort, I'm afraid - and certainly not the "never" bit.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

1. As I've said more than once on this thread, the possibility that Mary went out again or not has almost no bearing on whether she knew her killer. An unknown killer or someone familiar could have killed her under both circumstances, so let's try not to confuse the debate.

...and as relates to Mary entertaining clients in her room....

2. Aside from the paradox inherent in "knowing" something that is only "likely", we actually know nothing of the sort, I'm afraid - and certainly not the "never" bit.
                      Sam,

I know we have discussed this and frankly I had hoped you would see the light on this issue by now, but if Mary Kelly did not leave her room after midnight, it is indeed very germaine to the issue of whether her killer may have come to her, and perhaps how he arrived at her door..by chance or intent. And whether he forced his way in, or was let in. Its completely investigatorially (?) irresponsible to just set aside something that has a 50 % chance of being true, until it can be proven otherwise...and guess what, it cant as yet.

No amount of protestations from you on this point make any difference Sam, and you know I respect your opinions,... if she did not go out after midnight there is at least a 50-50 chance that he knew who he was looking for, and where to find her. Its that or chance. One way he knows her, the other he doesnt have to. Equally probable.

On point 2, there is not one tiny bit of teensy weensy information on record regarding Mary and 13 Millers Court that indicates she "ever" took a single client there. Hence my "never" usage. In fact we have testimony from her live-in lover that he objected to her "working the streets", and since he has been gone only 8 days, its a little presumptuous to assume she at that point begins to bring men home without even one corroborating account to support it.

Dont make me defend her obvious relationship with Blotchy Man, which was that of a friend or acquaintance Sam, no trick Ive ever heard of starts with an aria that lasts off and on for over an hour. They were eating together, she singing, both bombed, and one, doomed. But he was'nt a trick by all indications....at least not as far as she was concerned, Maybe he had other ideas..

As I said, IF she did not go out again...as the records seem to indicate, then her killer came to her by chance, or intentionally. One of those answers leads to another question, could an intentional path directly to Marys door, and perhaps gaining access to her room with her permission, or by an unlocked door without it...but being able to stay,... indicate that the man may have known Mary, or that room....which we can safely establish has not been a brothel before November 1st.

Its beneath you Gareth to dispute that point...the answer is yes, the man may have known Mary, and where Mary Kelly lived, and not been a client, since she didnt entertain clients in her room that we know of,... and went to her room that night purposefully....maybe people dont like my phrasing, but Im sure the logic isnt that opaque.

Better I keep with my idea of bowing out...because these plain as day/dark as night rebuttals seem odd when we are in different time zones. I say its night....and it isnt to you... cause its morning. Thats understandable confusion....but not admitting that in the case of Mary Kelly there is evidence that suggests she did not leave her room, or rather there is no credible contrary evidence to suggest otherwise, it is at least 50 % possible that her killer knew her. He either did, or he didnt...but coming to her room and gaining access in the middle of the night, without obvious resistance tilts the odds somewhat.

My best Gareth...sorry, just tired.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2008, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Your gift for tact always makes me smile Ben. In fact, as early as November 15th..3 days after the taking of the statement George Hutchinson provided, Blotchy Man is the official suspect description. How or why aside, as either cannot be answered by any of us using existing documents, thats the historical perspective.

I would think that the Police who took Hutchinson's statement first hand expected some legitimate new truth, being from a man claiming to be Marys friend..they weren't gullible at all, its that Hutchinson sold his story......with his emphasis on details and the ability to recognize the man again on sight, he had not simply told his story.

Best regards Ben.
                        Hi,

Ben always is polite no matter what side of the argument he falls. So, I shall smile.

The fact remains that after interviewing Hutchinson, something no one at the Casebook has had a chance to do, Abberline is convinced Hutchinson is telling the truth.

We do not know for a fact that Blotchy face man was the main suspect three days later and I find it hard to believe that Detectives who worked the case dismissed two witnesses claim that they heard a cry of "Oh murder" around 3:45 and then the body of Kelly was found. I am assuming that they would have felt the way that I do that the Ripper would not stick around for three hours before attacking Kelly. Even the hour that Kelly was heard singing would make me dismiss Blotchy face man as a suspect.

They may have dismissed Hutchinson's story for similiar reasons as they dismissed Maxwell's tale. However there is no reason to believe they thought George Hutchinson was an out right lier.

Your friend, Brad

Bike week, I hate it.

Comment

I know we have discussed this and frankly I had hoped you would see the light on this issue by now
                          I reciprocate that sentiment, Mike

I guess it's just another "Kudzu" issue. Whenever the "Kelly stayed in" idea is introduced, it has a tendency to take on a life of its own. I'd rather we kept it separate, because I genuinely believe that it has only tangential (and somewhat debatable) relevance to the current discussion.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                            I reciprocate that sentiment, Mike

I guess it's just another "Kudzu" issue. Whenever the "Kelly stayed in" idea is introduced, it has a tendency to take on a life of its own. I'd rather we kept it separate, because I genuinely believe that it has only tangential (and somewhat debatable) relevance to the current discussion.
                            Hi,

I do not know if I agree. If Kelly's attacker went to Kelly's home and Kelly invited him in or if the Ripper broke into Kelly's home that would be an interesting change of MO.

I believe that Kelly went out after three and the Ripper just happend apon her. However if the Ripper went a calling or broke into her home that would be an interesting change.

Your friend, Brad

Comment

• The idea put forward below is not amenable of proof - we simply do not have the relevant information. It is ONLY an idea, nothing more.
                              If Kelly ventured out onto the streets of Spitalfields at a late hour, on an inclement November night, logic would suggest that she had a very pressing reason for doing so. The most pressing financial need that we know of in her situation was the money she owed McCarthy. The great unknown is the pattern, if any, to McCarthy's and/or Bowyer's visits to try to get the outstanding rent. What I am driving at is, did Kelly know that Bowyer would be round on the Friday morning to see what money he could collect? Maybe Friday was the regular "rent day" and Kelly knew a visit was pending.
                              We do not know what threat, of any, Kelly faced of eviction for non payment, but such a drastic sitution could, if true, explain her need to go out seeking business at such an hour.
                              Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                                The idea put forward below is not amenable of proof - we simply do not have the relevant information. It is ONLY an idea, nothing more.
                                If Kelly ventured out onto the streets of Spitalfields at a late hour, on an inclement November night, logic would suggest that she had a very pressing reason for doing so. The most pressing financial need that we know of in her situation was the money she owed McCarthy. The great unknown is the pattern, if any, to McCarthy's and/or Bowyer's visits to try to get the outstanding rent. What I am driving at is, did Kelly know that Bowyer would be round on the Friday morning to see what money he could collect? Maybe Friday was the regular "rent day" and Kelly knew a visit was pending.
                                We do not know what threat, of any, Kelly faced of eviction for non payment, but such a drastic sitution could, if true, explain her need to go out seeking business at such an hour.
                                Chris
                                Hi,

Okay, why would Kelly have to have a pressing need to go back out other then wanting to get more money for what ever the reason, rent or drink.

I do not believe she had to be in dire straits to go back out. She may have simply wanted another drink.

Your friend, Brad

Your friend, Brad

your friend, Brad

Comment

Working...
                                X