Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MJK1 & MJK3 camera positions - plan view. (Warning - graphic images)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The strip of light problem - MJK3

Just a quick exercise regarding the 'strip of 'light' as seen at the top of MJK3 photo to try and find it's true positioning.

To start, I've drawn the door to open the opposite way that its supposed to be according to records and reports to allow a crack of light to show when the door is slightly ajar.

As the scaled drawing demonstrates, a major demolition of the brick wall is required to enable the bed and table to be moved accordingly to fit the photo.
    Of course, you can pull the bed nearer to the front wall windows and adjust the door so that the strip of light looks about right, or you could try to pull and rotate everything across the room and leave the wall intact!

Don't forget, the door is hinged incorrectly on my drawing.
    If it is drawn to be hinged on the opposite side then you won't see any strip of light unless you stood outside and looked at it through the window.

Let's assume that the door is hinged as per my drawing but this time it opens *outwards* into the courtyard.
    Now we need to demolish the front wall where the windows are because the beds too long to make the scene fit the photo - what a nuisance!
    Not even to mention the differing direction of light on all the above situations!

Is that what really happened to take a photograph ?

In my opinion based on information available and my drawing, the strip of light seen at the top of MJK3 has to be caused by a gap between two curtains, thus creating the strip of light.
    That also means that nothing was moved in the room.

With best intentions
    Steve
    Attached Files

Comment

Great work, Steve - I don't think the bed was pulled out that obliquely either.

On a point of detail, the door hinged the other way, and I'm almost certain that the bed-head was further inside the room owing to the wash-stand that I believe was behind it. On that basis, it's possible that the shaft of light seen in MJK3 was a narrow gap in the far side of the door.

On another point, would the cropping of MJK3 make any difference to the perceived FOV?

(I should point out that I think you're broadly correct, by the way, so I'm not being contentious for the sake of it!)
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        Great work, Steve - I don't think the bed was pulled out that obliquely either.

On a point of detail, the door hinged the other way, and I'm almost certain that the bed-head was further inside the room owing to the wash-stand that I believe was behind it. On that basis, it's possible that the shaft of light seen in MJK3 was a narrow gap in the far side of the door.

On another point, would the cropping of MJK3 make any difference to the perceived FOV?

(I should point out that I think you're broadly correct, by the way, so I'm not being contentious for the sake of it!)
        Many Thanks Sam !
        Yes, the door does open the other way, and, as you see, I had to draw it wrongly to make the point clear.
        I assume you mean a gap between the hinges of the door and not the gap of the door opening itself. If that's the case and the door is hung how it should be - ie, hinged on the right when viewed from the outside and opening by pushing on the left into the building and towards the table, then the hinge and any gap created has to be out of view of the photo (as per my 1st drawing). Also bringing the camera closer due to the wash stand would decrease the FOV meaning there's even less chance of seeing the gap.
        In addition, I would also assume that the door would be fixed central to the brickwork and not on an outer edge, thus even lesser chance of seeing that gap!

Regarding the cropped FOV
        I was aware that the photo may have been cropped, however, because I've
        drawn 'only' what can be seen on the photo then the cropped FOV makes no difference. I've tried hard to make a like for like between photo and drawing.
        It's difficult to show exactly how the camera shows the scene then draw it in plan because the tilt of the camera, which for a matter of interest appears to be tilted down by about 15 degrees, so slight differences will occur in perception.
        To clarify that one would have to supply a slightly 'warped' drawing similar to how the lens distorts on any plane other than level.

I hope that makes sense, and once again, Thank you for your valued input Sam.

Best, Steve

Comment

The only point I would make is about curtains. As I understand it, there were no curtains, but there was a greatcoat or some such article of clothing hanging at the window. I suppose the light could be shining between the arm of the coat and the body, or the edge of the window and the coat?

Top work that man!

Comment

Originally posted by John Casey View Post
            The only point I would make is about curtains. As I understand it, there were no curtains, but there was a greatcoat or some such article of clothing hanging at the window. I suppose the light could be shining between the arm of the coat and the body, or the edge of the window and the coat?

Top work that man!
            Thanks John!
            I'm sure it's curtains

Quote ;
            10:45 AM: John McCarthy, owner of "McCarthy's Rents," as Miller's Court was known, sends Thomas Bowyer to collect past due rent money from Mary Kelly. After Bowyer receives no response from knocking (and because the door was locked) he pushes aside the curtain and peers inside, seeing the body. He informs McCarthy, who, after seeing the mutilated remains of Kelly for himself, ran to Commercial Street Police Station, where he spoke with Inspector Walter Beck, who returned to the Court with McCarthy

Best, Steve

Comment

SGH,
              I believe you have it about right with the drawings and also your conclusion. It has to be the window and not the door. Another thougth occures to me as i write this post. The reason we are heving so much problem aligning everything in both pictures is becouse the bed and table would probably have been moved closer to the window in order to make room on the left side of the bed for the photographer. If MJK3 where taken from the rigth side with the photographer leaning over to snap the shutter he would be in the picture. If you move the bed and table closer to the window the table would end up in front of the door and even farther out of frame than what you put forth above.
              'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Hi Steve,

Are you sure it was curtains . . ?

Thomas Bowyer—

" . . . threw the blinds back and looked through the window which was broken and saw the body of deceased woman whom he knew as Mary Jane . . ." 9th November witness statement.

" . . . looked in the window there was a curtain over the window I pulled the curtain aside and looked in . . ." 12th November inquest statement.

" . . . went to the window, which had been broken and patched by rags for some time past, and on pushing the rags aside was startled by the sight of blood." Daily News, 10th November.

" . . . pulled the blind of the window, one of the panes being broken." Daily Telegraph, 10th November.

" . . . pulled the blind of the window aside - one of the panes being broken . . ." St. James Gazette, 10th November.

" . . . pulled aside the muslin curtain which covered it [the broken window] . . . The Star, 10th November.

" . . . put his hand through the aperture [in the broken window] and pulled aside the muslin curtain which covered it . . . The Times, 10th November.

Mary Ann Cox [asked by the jury if she could see light in the room when Kelly was singing]—

"I saw nothing as the blinds were down . . ." 12th November inquest statement.

By the way, which photo do you think was taken first? MJK1 or MJK3?

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Yes, thank you Simon for that great collection of differing testimonies with regard to the curtain, blind. We did have this discussion a few years back also, as it was important for the angles involved.
                  When one states "The blinds were down" it seems to infer that they could be "up", suggesting a pull down blind.
                  But were they made from muslin? The narrowness of the small window would not likely need 2 curtains (opening in the centre). More likely is that the shaft of light is coming in on the room side of the blind.
                  Where the drain pipe is on the outside of the building is another clue as to where the corner is in the picture, to the left of the blind is a very damp looking spot. This was likely where the door would end, out of shot.

I also agree with sgh that there is a definite downward angle in that shot, too. This leads me to believe that the bedroll on the side of the bed, had nothing to do with the camera, but that a tripod had to have been used.
                  Thanks
                  Joan

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Hi Steve,

Are you sure it was curtains . . ?

Regards,

Simon
                    Hiya Simon,

Regarding your question -curtains or blinds, well I don't know if the Victorian lingo of the time may refer to curtains or blinds as meaning the same thing!
                    Many contradictive descriptive aspects appear through the whole case of JTR,
                    hence many different points of view of 'who dunnit' etc ensue.
                    I even considered at one point that perhaps a fold up screen may have been used to block out unwanted light, peeping toms etc, etc.
                    However, i'm sure it's simply a pair of grubby plain curtains that were'nt fully pulled together, thus leaving a strip of light between them.

Considering the possibilities that JTR lit / used the fire in that room to illuminate his victim so he could carry out his work, and the reports from witnessess saying they didn't see a light at the parameters of the time of the murder, then it goes without saying that 'something' blocked out the light from the blazing fire. But that only supports the case that curtains, blinds or whatever covered the window to block out the light from the outside, otherwise JTR would have been most likely seen by the few people about in the Courtyard at the time - what a big mistake!.

My thoughts say they are curtains because of their 'almost' flat and even appearance.
                    Also, a careful close-up study of that strip of light between them indicates a slightly uneven gap along the edges from top to bottom regardless of the three 'bulbous' points of stronger light from the outside creating the illusion of the gaps being wider at those points. I would expect that curtains that are almost drawn together would not hang dead straight along their edges.

That 'bulbous' illusion incidently is caused by blown highlights, also known as 'flared highlights' in the image, (importantly not to be confused with the photographic term 'Clipping' which does not apply to analog photography - that's the digital stuff - not availbe in 1888).
                    Whilst on the finer photographic points, without going to deep, the issue of blown highlights gives a tiny clue as the the photographic medium likely used on that day, but I'm saying no more on that point at the moment because I haven't gone too far in that area of my study as yet.

So, at the moment, I'm sticking with 'pull together curtains' because of what I see and find most logical.
                    Also,supported by my scaled drawing showing the camera positions of MJK1 and MJK3 together, as far as I'm concerned clearly illustrates the direction of where the cameras had to be and their field's of view corresponding quite accurately with the known landmarks on *BOTH* photographs.
                    Had I made two individual drawings, one for MJK1 and one drawing for MJK3
                    then I could easily have drawn them to suit my beliefs and placed objects and used landmarks to suit my view as required!
                    But I drew *BOTH* camera views on the *SAME* drawing so that the landmarks had to fit *BOTH* ways. That's the crucial element required to make an accurate drawing, don't you agree !!!
                    You can see clearly that the MJK3 camera view drawing includes the area of window where the strip of light is noted as 'gap between curtains ' on the window. By association to all other elements, as far as I am concerned that strip of light has to be created by the light coming through the window and curtains that are not fully drawn together.

Print out my drawing and the two photos then turn them every which way to see how accurately they all correspond.
                    They are not pinpoint, but very close indeed.

As far as - "which photo was taken first - MJK1 or MJK3". I've not looked into that area yet. Accuracy of the above is my main concern.

Which do you say was taken first and how do you arrive at your decision?

Btw are you the same 'Simon D Wood' who wrote the two dissertations on the same subject located here on Casebook in 2005. I assume you are ?

Best,
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                      I'd have thought that the priority would almost certainly have been on taking the full(ish) length body shot first, Simon.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Sam,

So would I.

So how come the left leg/knee is akimbo in MJK1 but propped vertically in MJK 3?

Merely a thought.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

The victims left knee

Simon,
                          Could you show me exactly where the victims left knee is on this photo.

Thanks in advance.

Best, Steve
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi SGE,

IN MKJ 3 The victim's left knee is here [downward arrow]—

Click image for larger version

Name:	KNEE2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	656656

Where else would it be?

Please illustrate.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hello simon!

Just out of curiosity;

The one marked with red is obviously the photographer's hand, or what do you think?!

All the best
                              Jukka
                              Attached Files
                              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hi Jukka,

I've always thought it's either a crudely-drawn hand or bunch of bananas.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Working...
                                X