Kelly photo 1 enhanced - graphic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackkat View Post
    She wasn't wearing any leggings er.. long undies right?
    I, for one, think that she was wearing a white stocking on her right leg - that black, smudged stripe (alongside the circle you saw) I believe to be a garter, or perhaps more likely a shoelace doubling up as a makeshift garter. You can see its continuation in the "full-body" photograph.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      If I look long and hard enough, I can see a miniature version of my nan's rocking-chair. Believe me, Anna, the only non-fleshly object on that table is the table-top itself.
      It seems that once again you dont see what others do Sam, yet it inevitably is the other persons mistake.

You may offer whatever rocking chair analogy you feel like, but there is/are objects on the table, under the viscera. If you wont acknowledge them, thats not my or Annas problem, nor our mistake.

As I said I have close ups that are enhanced that were given to me, and show that clearly, but I dont feel like defending them as well.

Best regards

Comment

edit: In the post beow I suggested the garters would be attached to the corset or belt, I quickly checked and it appears that was not in practice yet, but instead the garters were elastic bands, usually an inch or so in width, and they were addorned with ruffles or some decorative element in fabric that often matched the undergarments or even the ladies outerlayer clothing. That thin dark line is not representative of what I read.

Now I can return the favour.....that circular line around her leg below the knee is either the top of her stocking rolled down to create a single, dark line, or its an incision....a garter would be wider, and would have likely....." edited".

Best regards.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2008, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Good points.

I don't think she has anything on. No socks etc. To me it appears the ripper cut her garmet away from her, but not completely taking it off, which is the reason you can see it still on her shoulders. Her legs look bare. The blood smeared on her right leg, looks smeared into skin. Her other leg - shows her toenails painted.

Also Sam = the circle just below her right knee - seen in the photo - how big would you say that was inch wise?
          Last edited by Blackkat; 11-30-2008, 11:13 AM.
          "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Hello Blackkat!

Otherwise your notions are quite good, but;

on another thread the lady members pointed out to me, that at the time the women didn't paint their toenails!

All the best
            Jukka
            "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
              Hello Blackkat!

Otherwise your notions are quite good, but;

on another thread the lady members pointed out to me, that at the time the women didn't paint their toenails!

All the best
              Jukka
              Not true. Women painted their toenails as far back as 3000B.C. and Queen Nefertiti would pain her nails red. Also 19th century cookbooks contained directions for making nail paints. In the 19th and 20th century women still went for the polished rather than painted look, by messaging tinted powders and cremes into their nails. It really depended on which the woman liked best, but yes they did have nail paint in 1888, although color nail polish wasn't invented until later, the tint powders including Henna could be used to tint the nails.

I believe 20th century- one can research Graf’s Hyglo nail polish paste.
              Other than that, colored nail lacquers have been around thousands of years.

Another reason her toenails look painted? They could be a bluish grey tint under the nail that follows death.
              Last edited by Blackkat; 11-30-2008, 11:36 AM.

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Mike - I did actually say that it might be a shoe-lace serving as a makeshift garter. This was a cheap slum room in Spitalfields 1888, remember, not Madame Za-Za's Fur'n'Frills Revue Bar in downtown Vegas. I wouldn't have expected Kelly to have been in a position to own a decent garter.

Secondly, there is almost certainly no hand-mirror on that table, just slabs of flesh - which is consistent with the medical evidence of the time.

Thirdly, I didn't write that stuff about this being an Nth generation compressed JPEG image of what was already an imperfect photograph for the fun of it. Neither were my observations that the processing would have introduced all manner of artefacts into the image, as well as enhance any blemishes that might have been there in the first place, just to wind you up.

I'm simply pointing out some facts, that's all.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Blackkat View Post
                  Also Sam = the circle just below her right knee - seen in the photo - how big would you say that was inch wise?
                  If you mean the one picked out in green...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cropped1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	655374

...it's about 3 or so inches in diameter, give or take. However, the line itself (i.e. the circumference) is extremely fine; probably only a millimetre thick, in proportion. It's very unlikely that anything that thin on Mary's leg would have been captured by the camera, especially when you realise that the rest of her leg (including the "garter") is actually out of focus, whereas the circle is quite sharply defined. It's most likely a defect on the photographic plate, or a hair on the lens.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Okay good deal, yes the green, thank you we were on the same page!

Comment

Sam,

Your only winding me up because on the items on the table under the viscera, you are incorrect. Its as simple as that. I have seen them, and Id appreciate it if youd check with my optometrist before declaring me blind. What they are is more difficult to be sure of, not that they are in fact there.

What do you think the killer did, cleaned off her night table to place viscera there, or plunk it on there regardless of what else might be on it? The woman had only two tables, and odds and ends on both of them.

Best regards.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2008, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Im sure theres a few people out here who've used these photos to compare angles and lighting, whats the consensus on the angle of her left knee in MJK1 and MJK3...the same, or not?

It appears that backlight is visible through the tissue remaining on her left thigh in MJK3..I dont see the elevation in MJK1 offering that view. Once the camera is placed for MJK3, because no photographer could fit between the bed and the wall as it is seen in MJK1, it would have to be a remote shutter shot...or an outside chance on a viewfinder that is used from directly above the camera, rather than behind.

I think the bedding there is the platform for the camera for MJK3, but I dont see that translating precisely to the body angles as seen in MJK1.

Try comparing her left knee location in both shots as relates to the height of the table.

Best regards.
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Wasn't the main photo taken from outside the window? It would have been the only way given the width of the room to get the whole body in, surely.

I used to deal with a lot of old prints like this - ie age not subject - and all of them were blemished in some way. I think the circle 9green in Sam's post 53) is a result of drying fluid, left during the developing process. the black ring round the right leg does look like a garter, though it might also be a circular cut - the autopsy should say which it is. If someone could post the autopsy /police report here, or rather a link to it, it might save a lot of squabbling...

As for the matter of what was on the table - there is a precise inventory is there not, of exactly what was found in the room? - I'm sure I read it in this site only a few days ago. So there is no need to quarrel over what we can and can't see - we can look it up! (sorry I don't know my way around the site well enough yet to find it again right now)

The nails might well turn bluish after death; but most of these women would have been very dirty by our standards, esp their feet - there was no running water about in Whitechapel - and at least one of the coroner's reports remarks on it. Some of the local women in contemporary photos look really filthy

What strikes me apart form the utter horror of looking at these, is just how covered in blood JtR must have been after this one. How did he get away in that state, and how did he hope to without being seen? - must he not have had a bolt hole at least, very close by?
                          Last edited by Sara; 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I hope this isn't dis-tasteful, but I did my best with my knowledge (or lack thereof) of photoshop, to give the scene color. I found it easier to define shapes and areas of the image when they had varying colors, instead of just making due with all of the greys running together. Hopefully this can be of help to some.
                            Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

Sorry I didn't attach the image correctly... here it is, and once again I hope it is of some interest or help.
                              Attached Files
                              Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

Ryan, that's quite some job there and pretty unsettling. Good work. People are always worried about being distasteful, as you say. However, it is all a matter of context. If doing this kind of work for the sake of clarity, as you have done, then bad taste should not even be a consideration. It's only if people back it up with 'cool - look at all that blood' we need to worry, and we don't really get that sort around here any more.

Interesting how you've put on stockings (erm... on MJK...). I wouldn't agree with that but it's a minor failing - if, indeed, you're wrong on that count at all.

PHILIP
                                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X