Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millers Court residents in Whitechapel Infirmary (recovered thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks good read!!! It's surprising with all smoke and mirrors no one focused on Henry Hanslope...living in Mary's building with priors for assaults, impersonating a detective and possible sexual abuse....

Comment

Henry Hanslope

I found Henry Hanslope's settlement examination notes in the SGE poor law records and he stated he had been in the army until 1887. I looked for his military record and he was attested to the Royal Horse Guards in 1873 and discharged with bad conduct in 1887.
      His former occupation was given as photographer and he was a six feet tall with blue eyes and light brown hair.

Comment

Hi Debra, your searches in the settlement records have turned up some interesting facts. Thanks for taking the time to share your results with us.

When did Henry Hanslope apply to the authorities of St George in the East?

Roy

(ps HH may require his own article written by you.)
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
          Hi Debra, your searches in the settlement records have turned up some interesting facts. Thanks for taking the time to share your results with us.

When did Henry Hanslope apply to the authorities of St George in the East?

Roy

(ps HH may require his own article written by you.)
          Thanks for the continued interest, Roy!

Hanslope applied to SGE in April 1887. He'd lived at Carter St Mile End for 12 mos. after leaving the army and later Ernest St for a fortnight. I think that's Mile End too. He'd also been 'wandering about'
          I have some other ideas where to look and if I can be certain he was at Miller's Court in Nov 1888 I might write up a summary article on HH.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
            Thanks for the continued interest, Roy!

Hanslope applied to SGE in April 1887. He'd lived at Carter St Mile End for 12 mos. after leaving the army and later Ernest St for a fortnight. I think that's Mile End too. He'd also been 'wandering about'
            I have some other ideas where to look and if I can be certain he was at Miller's Court in Nov 1888 I might write up a summary article on HH.
            Be interesting.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Be interesting.
              I'll try to be!

Comment

Bump up for this astonishing thread

RD
                "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Debra,

Thank you so much for rescuing and continuing this intriguing thread; Henry Hanslope sounds like a very interesting character and a key person of interest.

May I ask whether you have since written a summary piece on him?

I believe you are potentailly on to something big here.

I have been having a look at Henry on the back of your excellent work and research and I believe there's a lot more to him that has yet to be discovered.

I believe I have found an interesting article that refers to the threats Henry made towards his wife in 1886.

I know you have already highlighted that he did indeed threaten his wife and so I am aware that you are almost certain to have this data, and so I would like to apologise in advance if I go over ground you have already covered.

The reason why I wanted to add to the mix; is because the article I found hasn't been uploaded yet and I believe it may be significant.

The fact that Henry threatened his wife is made all the more fascinating by the means by which he proposed it...

Here it is...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tower_Hamlets_Independent_and__30_January_1886_0007_Clip.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.8 KB ID:	836531

Note that Henry proposed to "cut her throat" and that he would "serve her

So we have a man who...

Was around 39 at the time of the Ripper killings

Resided at 11 Millers Court, located opposite MJK's window, shortly after and possibly at the time Kelly was murdered

Tried to rape his own daughter when she was 13

Violently assaulted his own mother

Was dismissed from the army for bad behavior

Was proven to have claimed he was a police "detective" on more than one occasion and was convicted for pretending to be a detective.

Lived in multiple addresses in Mile End prior to the Whitechapel murders

Was alleged to have "attempted" suicide on more than one occasion; by attempted strangulation in his police cell.
                  Perhaps eluding to an unhealthy fascination with strangulation.

Was observed as "respectfully dressed" despite at one time having "no fixed abode and no occupation"

And so the question is...

Does a man who assaults his mother, threatens to cut his wife's throat and tries to rape his own daughter...have a dislike or and issue with the female species?

Now IF he was indeed living opposite Kelly's room at the time she was butchered.... then could this man...this oddd man who pretends to be a police detective and play a part....could this man...

be the real Ripper?

Where is the one place that the police would least expect to find the Ripper?

opposite Kelly's room perhaps?

Debra, I salute you once again for your astonishingly brilliant work on this and I hope that its okay for me to add to this thread.

RD

oh and just a tantalising little extra nugget I'd like to add...

Months ago on another thread I highlighted something I had noticed on the From Hell letter...

The word "catch" with the letter 'h' written lower than the rest of the word, and the subsequent word "Mishter" having a random extra 'h'
                  I suggested perhaps the author was trying to hint at his initials ""H H"

Enter centre stage Mr Henry Hanslope.

Fascinating

RD

Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 06-24-2024, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Hi RD
                    Thanks for bumping this thread and refreshing my memory of all this!
                    He is certainly a very interesting man, worth investigating, if anyone can establish if he was in Miller's Court before MJK was murdered that would be something. I looked at army, infirmary, court and newspaper records but I can't say I have much of the research saved now and to answer your question, no, I didn't write a summary!
                    I'll keep an eye on the thread for any interesting developments and look forward to seeing what you've discovered.

Comment

Hi RD
                      Thanks for bumping this thread and refreshing my memory of all this!
                      He is certainly a very interesting man, worth investigating, if anyone can establish if he was in Miller's Court before MJK was murdered that would be something. I looked at army, infirmary, court and newspaper records but I can't say I have much of the research saved now and to answer your question, no, I didn't write a summary!
                      I'll keep an eye on the thread for any interesting developments and look forward to seeing what you've discovered.
                      Thank you kindly Debra for your reply.

I particularly enjoy looking through archived threads because they seem to hold so much data that can be further utilised after a time break.

I have been looking at Henry again this morning and have found a couple of fascinating nuggets that add a few extra sprinkles into the mix.

Am I correct when I say that the interest in Henry began with some previous research undertaken by yourself and the late great Mr Chris Scott?
                      According to Chris Scott there was a man named Henry Hemslow/Henslow residing at 11 Millers Court shortly after Mary Kelly was murdered, but crucially the name Hemslow/Henslow was actually Hanslope?

I have been unable to find how Chris Scott came to discover that the man living in 11 Millers Court was actually called Henry Hanslope and not Hemslow/Henlow, and that seems to be the core piece of data that then opens up the world of Henry Hanslope.

If there was any chance that Chris Scott was mistaken in his findings (almost impossible, as he was an absolute legend) then Henry Hanslope has no connection to Millers Court and then the case for pursuing him falls flat.

On the other hand, if the data on Henslow being Hanslope is sound and accurate, then I believe there's a lot going for Henry Hanslope in terms of his Ripper candidacy.

As always, thank you for being so awesome and a leading light in this case.

RD

Comment

As far as I recall, RD, Chris Scott was transcribing the Whitechapel Infirmary records for 1888 and came across Henry 'Hemsley' admitted from 11 Miller's Court. This thread was recovered after the Casebook crash of 2007 in cached form, in the original thread Chris posted an image of the name in the records and Chris Philips, Dan Norder and others suggested the name was Henry 'Hanslope' not Hemsley and they found there was only one Henry Hanslope of the right age and in London, although he was born in Suffolk.
                        I continued to research Hanslope on and off afterwards and discovered he was related to the Hanslope Hoggs, victims in the Mary Pearcey murder case of 1890. I looked at his criminal records to discover the case of sexual assault on his own young daughter and his settlement records at SGE attested to his living in the East End (though not Miller's Court) and that he also 'wandered around', meaning he was homeless. The rest of the information about him impersonating a detective and threatening his wife etc. came from me also but the original news clippings were not recovered in the cached version obviously and so I re posted them again in the recovered thread.

Edit to add the image:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	836601
                        Last edited by Debra A; 06-25-2024, 04:26 PM.

Comment

As far as I recall, RD, Chris Scott was transcribing the Whitechapel Infirmary records for 1888 and came across Henry 'Hemsley' admitted from 11 Miller's Court. This thread was recovered after the Casebook crash of 2007 in cached form, in the original thread Chris posted an image of the name in the records and Chris Philips, Dan Norder and others suggested the name was Henry 'Hanslope' not Hemsley and they found there was only one Henry Hanslope of the right age and in London, although he was born in Suffolk.
                          I continued to research Hanslope on and off afterwards and discovered he was related to the Hanslope Hoggs, victims in the Mary Pearcey murder case of 1890. I looked at his criminal records to discover the case of sexual assault on his own young daughter and his settlement records at SGE attested to his living in the East End (though not Miller's Court) and that he also 'wandered around', meaning he was homeless. The rest of the information about him impersonating a detective and threatening his wife etc. came from me also but the original news clippings were not recovered in the cached version obviously and so I re posted them again in the recovered thread.

Edit to add the image:
                          Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	836601

That's absolutely amazing, thank you for clarifying all of that Debra.

I concur that it is indeed "Hanslope" and I believe your findings are extremely significant.

I think it's exciting to be discussing a relative unknown in Henry Hanslope and its rather refreshing.

RD

Comment

In 1866, at the age of 18 (or 19)...

Mr Henry Hanslope was clearly one for the stage...

A farmer's son, who liked to play a part...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Essex_Standard_07_December_1866_0002_Clip.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	836628

This gives some context as to a man who later goes on to present himself as a respectable gentile and passing himself off as a plain clothed detective...despite the reality of destitution.

This man warrants a closer look.

Could this man be George Hutchinson or the man alleged to have been seen by Hutchinson with MJK?

Imagine a scenario whereby Henry was passing himself off as a man of power in the theatre...and MJK was auditioning with a little singing in her room.

I do love a good random hypothesis

RD

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

On the other hand, if the data on Henslow being Hanslope is sound and accurate, then I believe there's a lot going for Henry Hanslope in terms of his Ripper candidacy.
                              Thanks for reviving this intriguing thread, RD, and my appreciation to those who contributed so much information to make the thread intriguing.

There’s no question that Henry Hanslope was a very nasty man. By 1888, of course, his wife and daughter were no longer with him.

According to the City Road workhouse’s admissions and discharges register, Hanslope spent about eight months of 1888 in that workhouse. One of his stays ran from August 17th until October 30th, the period during which four of the so-called canonical victims were murdered. However, according to the registers, he wasn’t in the workhouse when the attacks took place on Martha Tabram and Mary Jane Kelly, so we can't rule out the possibility he could've been involved in those killings.

BTW, the City Road A & D registers don’t show addresses, so they’re of no help in finding out exactly when Hanslope moved into Miller’s Court.

Comment

Originally posted by Belloc View Post

Thanks for reviving this intriguing thread, RD, and my appreciation to those who contributed so much information to make the thread intriguing.

There’s no question that Henry Hanslope was a very nasty man. By 1888, of course, his wife and daughter were no longer with him.

According to the City Road workhouse’s admissions and discharges register, Hanslope spent about eight months of 1888 in that workhouse. One of his stays ran from August 17th until October 30th, the period during which four of the so-called canonical victims were murdered. However, according to the registers, he wasn’t in the workhouse when the attacks took place on Martha Tabram and Mary Jane Kelly, so we can't rule out the possibility he could've been involved in those killings.

BTW, the City Road A & D registers don’t show addresses, so they’re of no help in finding out exactly when Hanslope moved into Miller’s Court.

Thanks Belloc. The City Road workhouse creed register covering 1888 gives addresses but unfortunately Hanslope doesn't seem to appear in it. Maybe he will be in the Mitcham workhouse creed register but that doesn't have addresses!

Comment

Working...
                                X