Why Not Her Hair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Not Her Hair?

This has always puzzled me, a lot.Why didn't Jack ,given the extensive mutilation to every part of her body,cut off her hair as well?
    Hair is important to women and judging by the evidence Mary was proud of hers as people commented on her "Fine head of hair" which she left loose rather that bunning it up which was the norm for women in that era.
    In other cases where women have been murdered and mutilated the killers have cut off the hair as well.
    So why didn't Jack

Another thing that comes to mind is the illustration of Mary that shows her with a fringe and her hair done up that artist obviously didn't do his research

Hello Belinda!

This may sound silly or cynical, but;

what if he simply didn't want to get caught?! You know, red hair is still pretty recognisable even in small proportions and was already then...

Well, the artist probably used his artistical freedom. Her hair had - based on the crime scene photo - on her forehead!

But more probably as a sort of wave of hair than as a fringe.

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Actually that's interesting but he needn't have taken it with him he could have just left it.

The artist probably gave her that fringe as they were extremely popular at that time but still it's taking liberties

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
        This has always puzzled me, a lot.Why didn't Jack ,given the extensive mutilation to every part of her body,cut off her hair as well?
        Hair is important to women and judging by the evidence Mary was proud of hers as people commented on her "Fine head of hair" which she left loose rather that bunning it up which was the norm for women in that era.
        In other cases where women have been murdered and mutilated the killers have cut off the hair as well.
        So why didn't Jack

Another thing that comes to mind is the illustration of Mary that shows her with a fringe and her hair done up that artist obviously didn't do his research
        He might have enjoyed seeing her pretty hair surrounding a completely mutilated face.

c.d.

Comment

From Wikipedia

The practice of head shaving has often been used to punish people, such as criminals or political opponents.[1] Especially for women, the act of shaving off an offender's hair serves to humiliate the victim and remind them of their offense. For example, thousands of European women had their heads shaved in front of cheering crowds in the wake of World War II, as punishment for associating with occupying Nazis during the war.

Comment

Hello Belinda!

Thinking this way;

Because the hair was in tact, it was JtR and no Joe connections/Joe being JtR?

All the best
            Jukka
            "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

You know if it had been Joe who killed her I think he would more likely have cut her hair as it would have been a personal thing for him knowing her so well

Comment

Also from Wikipedia about the murder of Kristen French

French's nude body was found April 30, 1992, in a ditch less than a kilometre from the cemetery that contains Leslie Mahaffy's body. It had been washed and the hair had been cut off. Again, assumptions stated in the search warrant of February 19, 1993, were incorrect: the "very rare phenomenon where hair is collected from victims" was said to satisfy Bernardo's urges and serve as a trophy. Homolka testified matter-of-factly that the hair had been cut to impede identification

Comment

His "thang" seems to have revolved around slashing into the flesh and cutting organs away. There's not much of either on the top of the head.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi belinda-
                    OK- Mary was allegedly known for her luxurious locks in some way or another, and wore her hair down and exposed- without the 'covering' shall we say of a bonnet...jolly or not...I can't help but think that whoever killed Mary didn't give a t*** about her hair and it was just something that well got messed up in the 'process'.

OK looking at THE picture...I see the pieces of Mary's hair that may have been recognisable (Her hum) as being some sort of gingery/blonde...ORANGE in my clumsy Paint rendition - and the (Most) of it blood soaked/stuck to the body....most certainly on her back)...the RED bits- as 'Ears/Hair and Eyes' always appear to be a tad spurious IMHO at the end of the day- the pile of what was left of 'Mary' was well female without a doubt but aside from that..

..Any possibility of recognition had obviously been ...shall we say... made more difficult ...by that extensive facial chopping and slashing...now whether this was by intent or just by some form of lunacy, sadly we'll never know....and it's making any form of recognition beyond possibility...not that I imagine that our Mary was in the habit of going and getting a 'cabinet' photograph taken...unless someone else paid!!!...Mind you- even if she had.....would anyone of us suddenly sit up and say Dear God!!! That's Mary Kelly!!!???
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	kelly.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	654340

Sorry for the rant!!
                    Suz xx

That's just off of the 'top of my head' Sam!!!!
                    Last edited by Suzi; 07-11-2008, 09:48 PM.
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Reversing this- the red bits must have been the blood sodden bits of hair...maybe some even cut off...wouldn't be surprising under the 'er 'circumstances'

Name:	kelly2.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	654341

Just thoughts

Suz x

Comment

Of course- The blue lines were some of the IMHO huge cuts that allowed a large amount of blood to flow (Of course the severing of the carotid artery may have added some decoration to the room /partition [whether in alphabetical form is open to dispute!!]--and certainly was number one reason for death!!)-- and more than likely saturated any hair that was left----of course 'chummy' may have given Mary a haircut at some point as well.. a trophy maybe??

OMG I'm off on one now!!

Name:	kelly3.JPG
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	654342
                        Last edited by Suzi; 07-11-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Name:	kelly3.JPG
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	654344 There again re 'decoration'!!!! he he........sorry!!

Comment

Obviously she'd just washed it with Timotei in the nearest mountain stream, and he didn't want to mess it up.

Graham
                            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              Obviously she'd just washed it with Timotei in the nearest mountain stream, and he didn't want to mess it up.

Graham
                              He he always a c*** shampoo I say.... DONT wash your hands/knives/pinnies or anything else anywhere near Dorset St I say!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X