What Makes A Victim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tani View Post

This makes sense, but what about random unknowns.

For instance, Peter Sutcliffe was not suspected of having killed 5 or so women he had in fact killed, simply because they were not prostitutes.

We can also presume Jack as pressed for time, out in the open. He may not always be able to do what he wants and we're looking for a pattern that may not be present or has been hidden/misinterpreted.

I think Tabram was Ripper but she was stabbed, not ripped; however we know that in their infancy serial killers often have a period of working through what they want to do, changing weapons, tactic, MO etc.

These are the kinds of things I'm wondering about; especially as some think Jack was also Torso Man, which I'm very unsure about.
    I'm afraid too much sand has fallen in the hourglass to accurately and effectively determine unknown victims of the Ripper. The best we can do is look at the modus operandi of the killer and look for similarities and patterns. But we also could be dealing with a copycat. I include Tabram as a Ripper victim as well, as she was a prostitute living in the exact same area, was found in a similar position as the others, and the extensive stab wounds indicate a frenzied attack and rage. It must also be noted that although violence against women was commonplace in the East End slums, murder of women was still relatively rare. And in those cases, the motives were robbery, gangs (Emma Smith), and domestic violence. Here we have a series of motiveless crimes, which was unknown to the Metropolitan Police, and they were virtually helpless in solving this type of crime. In the case of JTR and other psychopathic serial killers, the motive exists solely in the killer's mind. I'm very uninformed as to the details of the Torso Murderer; however, in Cleveland, Ohio in the 1930s there was a very similar serial killer operating in the Depression-era shanty towns and "Cody's Camps" of the day. This lunatic killed derelict men, mostly, though there was a female victim or two. He eluded capture, and even ruined the career of Eliot Ness, the former agent who had brought down Al Capone a few years before. Could the Victorian torso killer and JTR be one and the same? Certainly. Were they? Who knows. Happy hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by Tani View Post

This makes sense, but what about random unknowns.

For instance, Peter Sutcliffe was not suspected of having killed 5 or so women he had in fact killed, simply because they were not prostitutes.

We can also presume Jack as pressed for time, out in the open. He may not always be able to do what he wants and we're looking for a pattern that may not be present or has been hidden/misinterpreted.

I think Tabram was Ripper but she was stabbed, not ripped; however we know that in their infancy serial killers often have a period of working through what they want to do, changing weapons, tactic, MO etc.

These are the kinds of things I'm wondering about; especially as some think Jack was also Torso Man, which I'm very unsure about.
      I'm inclined to agree with you, in that I really don't think we'll ever know the actual full list of victims of the Whitechapel killer(s).

I have doubts about whether they actually began with Nichols at all, or Tabrahm, for that matter. I also think too much emphasis is put onto the throat cutting/mutilation business. In all probability, "Jack" could have committed assaults to begin with, and even during his actual reign of terror he could've commited other non fatal assaults. The trouble is, we'll never no, so it's all speculation.

The police at the time were not accustomed to this activity, and while they definitely did what they were able to do, I think it's probable that a lot went unnoticed/unconnected. I'm not even sure if it ended with Kelly, although it may have done. A killer like "The Vampire of Dusseldorf" changed up his methods of killing several times, and even stopped killing for periods of time, as well as go from murder to non fatal assaults and even rape. One thing he enjoyed doing was waiting around after dumping a body so he could witness the public reaction, and I often wonder if "the Ripper" ever did something similar.

So as far as victims go, I'd be inclined to give a longer list than the C5 the benefit of the doubt, personally. But again, we'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post

I'm afraid too much sand has fallen in the hourglass to accurately and effectively determine unknown victims of the Ripper. The best we can do is look at the modus operandi of the killer and look for similarities and patterns. But we also could be dealing with a copycat. I include Tabram as a Ripper victim as well, as she was a prostitute living in the exact same area, was found in a similar position as the others, and the extensive stab wounds indicate a frenzied attack and rage. It must also be noted that although violence against women was commonplace in the East End slums, murder of women was still relatively rare. And in those cases, the motives were robbery, gangs (Emma Smith), and domestic violence. Here we have a series of motiveless crimes, which was unknown to the Metropolitan Police, and they were virtually helpless in solving this type of crime. In the case of JTR and other psychopathic serial killers, the motive exists solely in the killer's mind. I'm very uninformed as to the details of the Torso Murderer; however, in Cleveland, Ohio in the 1930s there was a very similar serial killer operating in the Depression-era shanty towns and "Cody's Camps" of the day. This lunatic killed derelict men, mostly, though there was a female victim or two. He eluded capture, and even ruined the career of Eliot Ness, the former agent who had brought down Al Capone a few years before. Could the Victorian torso killer and JTR be one and the same? Certainly. Were they? Who knows. Happy hunting!
        I don't know that I'd put too much stock into a copycat killer, as they're incredibly rare, but who knows.

As for the so-called "Torso Killer," I wonder just how likely it is to have two serial murderers operating in the same vicinity during the same period, but it can obviously happen. We do have George Chapman in Whitechapel who was a multiple murderer of women, and if he wasn't Jack then that makes two killers around the same period, potentially three if there was an actual Torso Killer.

As always, who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
          I don't know that I'd put too much stock into a copycat killer, as they're incredibly rare, but who knows.
          "He believes from the evidence of his own eyesight that the Miller's Court atrocity was the last of the real series, the others having been imitations, and that in Miller's Court the murderer reached the culminating point of gratification of his morbid ideas" - 22 May 1892, Cassell's Saturday Journal​ interview with Inspector Abberline

As for the so-called "Torso Killer," I wonder just how likely it is to have two serial murderers operating in the same vicinity during the same period, but it can obviously happen. We do have George Chapman in Whitechapel who was a multiple murderer of women, and if he wasn't Jack then that makes two killers around the same period, potentially three if there was an actual Torso Killer.

As always, who knows!
          Multiple serial killers in the same area is unlikely, but not unknown. Herbert Mullin and Edmund Kemper operated in Santa Cruz California at the same time and it had a population 1/10 of that of London of 1888.

And the Torsoman and the Ripper weren't acting in the same area over the same period. The Ripper was active in a small area. The Torso Killer scattered body parts along twenty miles of the Thames. The Ripper was active for a few months. The Torso Killer was active for over a decade.​
          "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

"He believes from the evidence of his own eyesight that the Miller's Court atrocity was the last of the real series, the others having been imitations, and that in Miller's Court the murderer reached the culminating point of gratification of his morbid ideas" - 22 May 1892, Cassell's Saturday Journal​ interview with Inspector Abberline
            While I have a lot of respect for both Abberline's role and his knowledge, I don't really buy any of that. The idea of someone wanting to emulate the Whitechapel killer just doesn't seem likely to me, but it's still possible, just not something I really put any stock into.

I certainly don't believe that the killer of the C5 reached some kind of crescendo with Kelly and was either fulfilled or went mad. That's not really how serial murderers operate from what we know. However, I don't think Abberline knew that. Whoever killed Kelly either died, was locked up, laid low/moved and/or continued killing. It's entirely possible that the killer stopped for a period before continuing, either in Whitechapel or beyond.

Originally posted by Fiver View Post
            Multiple serial killers in the same area is unlikely, but not unknown. Herbert Mullin and Edmund Kemper operated in Santa Cruz California at the same time and it had a population 1/10 of that of London of 1888.

And the Torsoman and the Ripper weren't acting in the same area over the same period. The Ripper was active in a small area. The Torso Killer scattered body parts along twenty miles of the Thames. The Ripper was active for a few months. The Torso Killer was active for over a decade.​
            It's definitely possible that two killers could operate in the same or similar areas at one time, and I regard the potential Torso Killer as having operated near enough to Whitechapel for it to stand as a relevant point here.

I do have reservations regarding the whole Torso Killer story, though, and I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea that all of the torsos were the work of a serial murderer, anyway. But yeah, it's possible that the Whitechapel killer wasn't the only one, and as I mentioned earlier, if Chapman wasn't the Ripper then he's another multiple murderer in the area.

These things are still pretty rare, all the same.

Comment

While I have a lot of respect for both Abberline's role and his knowledge, I don't really buy any of that. The idea of someone wanting to emulate the Whitechapel killer just doesn't seem likely to me, but it's still possible, just not something I really put any stock into.

I certainly don't believe that the killer of the C5 reached some kind of crescendo with Kelly and was either fulfilled or went mad. That's not really how serial murderers operate from what we know. However, I don't think Abberline knew that. Whoever killed Kelly either died, was locked up, laid low/moved and/or continued killing. It's entirely possible that the killer stopped for a period before continuing, either in Whitechapel or beyond.

It's definitely possible that two killers could operate in the same or similar areas at one time, and I regard the potential Torso Killer as having operated near enough to Whitechapel for it to stand as a relevant point here.

I do have reservations regarding the whole Torso Killer story, though, and I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea that all of the torsos were the work of a serial murderer, anyway. But yeah, it's possible that the Whitechapel killer wasn't the only one, and as I mentioned earlier, if Chapman wasn't the Ripper then he's another multiple murderer in the area.

These things are still pretty rare, all the same.
              An excellent post Mike and you make some great points.

I think the Torso killings have never really been definitively sorted out and for me there were multiple Torso killers.

I say this because there were far more murders than people really acknowledge, and for 1 man to be responsible for a 30 plus year killing campaign is quite some stretch.

There were torsos found in the 1870's and then encroached into the next century with the Lambeth torso.

In comparison the Ripper killings were like an autumn holiday breakaway in Whitechapel, before he moved off to somewhere else.

Some of the torso victims were boiled, some still had their heads included (but not attached) and of course...there were many children's torsos found all over London wrapped up in parcels.

It's unsettling to talk about, but there were several children who IMO should be included in the torso killer victim list.

The idea that the Ripper could also be the Torso killer is a mixed bag for me.
              I have recently sided with them being the work of the same man, but I also believe there's an argument to suggest that the practical application involved with the Torso killings speaks of multiple people being involved; ergo; several people being involved with the practical distribution of various body parts possibly incorporating a prostitute and/or child trafficking network.

However, with the Ripper, It feels very much like the work of a lone wolf. It would seem odd for there to have been 2 men, or a couple, involved with the slaughter of MJK for example.

The biggest clue to promote the Ripper and torso killings being linked, falls in the Pinchin St killing.

The body and the entire murder in general had the feeling of a hybrid of both killers.

The placing and presentation of a torso left under a railway arch with its arms still attached and a Lipski chalk marking allegedly found on the wall of the arch, plus the geographical proximity to Berner St, plus the man Arnold/Leary/Cleary coming forward to tell of a torso being found BEFORE it was even placed there, all feels very much like a Ripper killing.

The torso killer concealed/buried/packaged/boiled his victims with no mutilation, but Pinchin St was different in many respects.

The child torso killings and the West Ham child murders for me are also linked.

The murder of Elizabeth Jackson is also a potential clue between the different series of murders. One thing is for sure; the man who dismembered Jackson did NOT intend for her to be identified. It was the one time when the killer got sloppy and made a mistake.

Lots to ponder

RD
              Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 08-17-2024, 06:19 AM.
              "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Working...
              X