NEW Eddowes-Stride link & person of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
    One of the houses in the Stable Yard of 40 Berner Street to be exact, ergo, the place where Stride was murdered 2 and a half years prior.

We have the following...

Abraham Silverman aged 21, a Fancy Purse Maker, living with his wife and 2 young children.
    Abraham is also a Polish Jew (Russian)

Not to rain on the parade, but in looking at the entry in 1891, it looks like the family living in the stable yard at No. 40 Berner Street is actually Silberman, not Silverman.

This is seemingly confirmed by Marks Silberman's birth registration and documents after the family emigrated to the U.S.

Hope this helps

Click image for larger version  Name:	Marks Silberman.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	840211
    Last edited by rjpalmer; 08-26-2024, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Not to rain on the parade, but in looking at the entry in 1891, it looks like the family living in the stable yard at No. 40 Berner Street is actually Silberman, not Silverman.

This is seemingly confirmed by Marks Silberman's birth registration and documents after the family emigrated to the U.S.

Hope this helps

Click image for larger version Name:	Marks Silberman.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	840211
      Brilliant find!

That is very much welcome.

I am one of those people who has no quarms whatsoever in being proven wrong.

It happens often haha!

I personally have no time for egos, toxicity or shallowmindedness and so when an excellent and far more advanced and knowledgeable researcher like yourself posts evidential data that proves that I have been mistaken; I am profoundly humbled and appreciative of being shown the error I have made.

After all; it's what I am here for.

The basis of my username should indicate that I am constantly learning and developing my knowledge and I am a firm believer in the idea that the best way to truly progress; is to learn from mistakes.

I work on the basis of a shotgun system; whereby I create and envisage a variety of hypotheses in the belief (and hope) that at least some of my thought processes will be fruitful and make a hit.

What I lack in practical research capabilities and knowledge base; I make up for in my ability to think outside the box, open-mindedness and coming up with alternate ways of thinking.

That approach is bound to inadvertently ruffle some feathers (certainly over on Forums) especailly for those who are firmly set and traditional; but I always come from a place of respect and humility when in comes to interaction with those who have been researching this case for far longer than I have.

So the link to Duffield Yard is not there; but that's okay.

We still have Marks Silverman running the Chandlers Shop from 6 Fashion Street. His subsequent incarceration to the Jewish Asylum under the label of "Incurable" may still have some relevance to the link with 6 Fashion Street and a Ripper victim.

All is not lost so to speak.

Thank you once again for your post and for your guidance in this matter.

RD
      Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 08-26-2024, 08:47 AM.
      "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

No need to lose any sleep over the /b/ or /v/ issue, in Hebrew the same character (bet) is used for both pronunciations.
        In the past when that character was to be pronounced as /b/, it was accompanied by a dot. Without the dot it was a /v/.
        Modern Hebrew has dispensed with the dot. Today, some will pronounce it /b/, while others a /v/.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          No need to lose any sleep over the /b/ or /v/ issue, in Hebrew the same character (bet) is used for both pronunciations.
          In the past when that character was to be pronounced as /b/, it was accompanied by a dot. Without the dot it was a /v/.
          Modern Hebrew has dispensed with the dot. Today, some will pronounce it /b/, while others a /v/.
          Thank you kindly Jon

I did suspect that could possibly be the case, but I felt it wasn't my place to say it.

Kind regards

RD

Comment

Thank you kindly Jon

I did suspect that could possibly be the case, but I felt it wasn't my place to say it.

Kind regards

RD
            RD, I’d echo Tom’s post #13. Keep digging away.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

RD, I’d echo Tom’s post #13. Keep digging away.
              Thank you kindly Herlock

I just re-read Tom's post and was reminded of how fabulous it is.

Words of wisdom that I very much appreciate and respect.

RD

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                Yes, if it was just a variant spelling by the census enumerator than I think we could dismiss the difference outright, but if the family itself was using the spelling variation in other documents (as the Berner Street family did later on) it might cast some doubt on any connection. I suppose one would want to get hold of Marks Silberman's birth certificate from 1889. That he is listed as being born in 'Whitechapel' suggests they weren't in SGE, unless it refers to London Hospital. Not enough data.
                Last edited by rjpalmer; 08-27-2024, 10:26 PM.

Comment

There are points against though. For instance, Abraham Silverman appears to have arrived in Berner Street post 1888, based on his oldest child not being listed as being born in London. This is also based on the 1891 census and beyond and so 2 and a half years AFTER the murders.
                  Abraham Silverman's daughter Rebecca was born in 1889 in Poland. They had two boarders, apparent coworkers of Abraham, as well as a servant. I haven't found any record besides the 1891 Census for any of them.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Marks Silverman's wife was called Rachel.

Rachel Bernstein

A woman named Katie Bernstein also lived at 40 Berner Street

So we have Silverman and Bernstein marrying and both names also living in Duffield's Yard and 40 Berner St respectively.

So it's 2 surnames that link 6 Fashion Street; the address Eddowes gave...to the location where Stride was also murdered on the same day.

A striking coincidence at the very least IMO

RD

Comment

Marks Silverman's wife was called Rachel.

Rachel Bernstein

A woman named Katie Bernstein also lived at 40 Berner Street
                      I can find a Katie Bernstein living at 40 Bernard Street in the 1891 Census. She was a 38 year old widow from Poland working as a fur sewer.

If you want to play last name coincidences, we also have an Israel Eagel, Israel Goldstein, and Alec Schwartz at the same address.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

I can find a Katie Bernstein living at 40 Bernard Street in the 1891 Census. She was a 38 year old widow from Poland working as a fur sewer.

If you want to play last name coincidences, we also have an Israel Eagel, Israel Goldstein, and Alec Schwartz at the same address.
                        Ah, but none of those names you listed can also be linked to the same address Eddowes gave; 6 Fashion St.

The point isn't the surnames; its the potential bridge between the murders through a lunatic at 6 fashion St.

It's the combination of 2 victims an hour or so apart, a murder location of 1 victim, a false address given by the other victim, 2 matching surnames and an incurable lunatic thrown in for good measure.

Each element by itself is worthless, but together they create a coincidence at the very least.

And coincidences can go either way depending on where the trail leads, if anywhere.

RD

Comment

Working...
                        X