No announcement yet.

Ripper victims were caught sleeping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea that he thought he would find a victim in the quiet, near-deserted and damp Mitre Square stretches credulity as well. He must have spent most of his time fruitlessly scouring unlikely places until he was lucky enough to find an unsuspecting sleeper.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

He wasted the entire month of October waiting around in some backyard for a sleeper that never arrived.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post

She was invited onto the podcast 6 months ago and agreed to join me for a one-on-one interview. Since then she has shown herself to be unwilling to engage in any rational discussion about, not only her nap theory, but her numerous outlandish public statements about Ripperologists. So given that I will not be having her as a guest on the show. We will do a panel discussion on her book instead.

Unlike Rubenhold, Trevor Marriott has never shied away from debating his views with anyone so I give credit him for that.

JM
        Actually, I give credit to Trevor for that too. He defends his corner.

Comment

Catherine Eddowes Head was found upon a coal hole.

Not the the most comfortable of pillows.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Ah ha!

So whatever she was using as a pillow was taken away by the Ripper.

I think HR may have inadvertently solved the case.

Comment

Jack the Pillow Stealer somehow doesn't have that ring about it.

Comment

I wasn’t suggesting Kate carried a pillow around with her. That would be silly. I was thinking more of some spare clothing that could be folded and used as a pillow. A shawl or something like that...

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                  I wasn’t suggesting Kate carried a pillow around with her. That would be silly. I was thinking more of some spare clothing that could be folded and used as a pillow. A shawl or something like that...
                  Bolster?
                  JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                  JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
                  ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Eddowes had a cell for the night, which some argue she was eager to leave.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

With the invention of steam railways, many rough sleepers slept over the blow holes as the steam kept them warm. Polly was in Bucks Row and there may have been a blow hole at the bridge. But I doubt that's were she was heading to, as Ripper was with her.

Comment

The medical evidence showed that Annie Chapman had been strangled (swollen and protruding tongue) before having her throat cut. This indicates that she was standing upright when she was first attacked. If she had been lying on the ground fast asleep, it would have made no sense for him to first rouse her by attempting to strangle her, only then to go on to cutting her throat—he would have simply walked up to her and cut her throat. Also, Cadosch reported hearing a “no” and a falling against the fence. His account is also consistent with Chapman being awake and standing when she was first attacked.

“When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                        http://www.williambury.org

Comment

I don't buy this theory that all the Ripper's victims were sleeping when the Ripper attacked them. There's just no evidence whatsoever to support this.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Eddowes had a cell for the night, which some argue she was eager to leave.
                            The rationale I've heard for that is that prisoners who were kept overnight would have to appear in police court the next day, which would probably result in a fine, not at all a trivial matter for someone in her walk of life. She obviously didn't want that, and given that she hadn't hurt anyone or behaved maliciously, the constable probably thought it best to send her on her way now that the pubs were closed.

- Ginger

Comment

Yes, the likelihood of wanting to have 40 winks in front or behind a set of double gates, as is the case with three of the victims seems very unlikely.

I would have given the book a go for a laugh on kindle if it was a couple of quid but having seen the price I’m definitely not paying a tenner for a non hard copy.

Comment

If you don't have Neal Shelden's book and don't follow some of the more recent victim threads here and on JtRForums, and would like all of the victim's background information - with a lot of artificial flavoring- then I'd say it's worth owning. You'd just have to also accept that the book was written with an agenda to push along with a theory that doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

JM

Comment

Working...
                                X