Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim photos

Hi all!
    It has proberbly been talked about before, however something came to mind today concerning the photographing of Mary Kelly's murder scene.
    This murder was deemed important enough to be the first to be photographed in situ, and yet this new trend did not seem to be repeated with further victims that some concidered to be at the time by some police officers, commited by JTR.

When you read all the accounts, it would seem the police were all ready and waiting with camera and were quickly called in to action. Yet with further murders this action was not called for.
    Just seems a little odd to me...any thoughts ?

Very intriguing idea.
    Perhaps it's merely a coincidence that the camera was available that morning. I highly doubt the police would've known in advance of the murder.
    "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

plus, they waited several hours before going in because several of them thought the dogs were coming, so there was ample time for the camera to get to the scene. as well as being indoors, so they didn't have to worry about the curious crowd gawking over the body.

Comment

Hi,
        Valied points, however it still doesnt explain why the police did not continue to photograph further suspected ripper victims in situ after Kelly.
        Perhaps Im hinting that the police knew that later victims were not the work of JTR, and that she was the last to die at his hands, otherwise they would have continued to use this new policing technique.

Comment

I always thought that this photograph of Kate Eddowes was taken in situ:

It was at the least taken before she was sewn shut, as evinced by the gaping wounds under her sternum and around her throat. And immediately to the right of her head is what looks to me like some sort of plant growth. Perhaps some of you who know more about it can shed greater light on this subject for me.

Comment

Hi Spyglass

Except that the police did photograph MacKenzie and Coles.
            Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 11-23-2010, 12:17 AM.
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Defective Detective View Post
              And immediately to the right of her head is what looks to me like some sort of plant growth.
              Hi Defective,

In some ways, this is nostalgically reminiscent of the legendary "Eddowes in a boat" thread - find it by clicking here. She's in a shell.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
                Hi Defective,

In some ways, this is nostalgically reminiscent of the legendary "Eddowes in a boat" thread - find it by clicking here. She's in a shell.

Regards,

Mark
                Thread and a half that one was, Mark. Happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
                  Hi Defective,

Regards,

Mark

Huh. Strange that, I'd never heard of that practice before. I concede that it was taken in a shell before the autopsy. There's still 'something' about it to me, though. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                    Hi,
                    Valied points, however it still doesnt explain why the police did not continue to photograph further suspected ripper victims in situ after Kelly.
                    Perhaps Im hinting that the police knew that later victims were not the work of JTR, and that she was the last to die at his hands, otherwise they would have continued to use this new policing technique.
                    I raised a similar question to this on an Eddowes thread some months back, cant recall the exact name.

Rob Clack made the valid point that photographing a body outside was rather more technical in those days. Youll have to ask Rob the details as I glaze over when he gets technical, however its due to conditions and the equipment available.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      I raised a similar question to this on an Eddowes thread some months back, cant recall the exact name.

Rob Clack made the valid point that photographing a body outside was rather more technical in those days. Youll have to ask Rob the details as I glaze over when he gets technical, however its due to conditions and the equipment available.

Monty
                      I think it was the problem of available light. A flash couldn't be used as the powder would have fallen out of the holder which is why the photos we do have of the victims they are being propped standing up. Kellys photos are at an angle and not full on like the others.

Rob

Comment

I believe it was very cloudy and "drizzly" the day they were photographing MJK's body, and may have even been raining, so there would have been "light" issues. Those photos are quite remarkable for the time, actually.
                        Cheers,
                        cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Also bear in mind that it was the Police's desire to remove the bodies from the crime scenes as soon as possible - as they were in public places, the need to reduce the risk of too many onlookers would have been paramount. Having to wait for a cameraman and then wait for the picture to be taken would have just prolonged things too much.

With Kelly being found in her room, the crime scene was conveniently sealed from the public gaze, no doubt allowing for more time to indulge in the photographic process.

Comment

Working...
                          X