Mortuary Photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortuary Photographs

So the first four canonical victims were photographed in the mortuary prior to or after postmortem...were there any pictures of MJK taken? Given that she was automatically taken as being a victim of Jack, why was the methodology of investigation suddenly changed? Given all the descriptions of Kelly, would this provide evidence that it wasn't her in Millers Court?

Hello Teflondazza

The main reason for the mortuary photos was that the bodies had yet to be identified, the photos were taken before post mortems and the process of decay. Some of the Eddowes photos were taken after her postmortem, this was due to the fact that the Ripper had cut her face and she had to be patched up by the surgeon.

In Kelly`s case the authorities seemed quite confident of her identity, mainly due to where the body was found. She was eventually patched up but a photo would have been pointless.

There is rumour that a number of photos were taken in Kelly`s room, including a photo of her eyes.

Hope this helps

Comment

I seem to remember there being 6 pictures of MJK mentioned somewhere, two of which are posted on the victims page and in the photos archive of casebook. I also seem to remember someone mentioning that even though they are marked picture 1 and 2 here on the web site, they are actually marked 2 and 4 respectfully.
      'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Hello you all!

Though the eyes are often mentioned as the main tool for identification, one has to remember too with MJK;

She was as tall as an average man of the time, 5'7" (that is 170,28 cm)!

So, there is one reason for not taking the patch-up photos, I think!

All the best
        Jukka
        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by smezenen View Post
          I seem to remember there being 6 pictures of MJK mentioned somewhere, two of which are posted on the victims page and in the photos archive of casebook. I also seem to remember someone mentioning that even though they are marked picture 1 and 2 here on the web site, they are actually marked 2 and 4 respectfully.
          The numbering of the Kelly photos is somewhat confusing. What are popularly known as MJK1 and MJK2 are the same image (the full-length shot), just different reproductions. What is called MJK3 is the one that was taken near the corpse, supposedly behind the bed looking toward the door of the room. These are the two posted on the Casebook photo archive.

There have been rumours of other photos in existence, but of course they are yet to surface (if indeed they exist).

Comment

According to accounts, there was an entire book of photos of the victims.

Sadly a lot of stuff has gone missing over the years. It's only relatively recently that what photos we do have were rediscovered.
            “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Thanks for clarifying John I knew there was something about the numbering being off but couldnt remember exactly.
              'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Dissertations

Hello All

For further reading of the Kelly/mortuary photos check out the following works found in the dissertation menu (on the left of the screen) :

The Kelly Crime Scene Photographs - Stewart Evans

The Victims Photographs - Stawell Heard

Who was the Mortuary Photographer ? - Adrian Phypers

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                  Hello All

For further reading of the Kelly/mortuary photos check out the following works found in the dissertation menu (on the left of the screen) :

The Kelly Crime Scene Photographs - Stewart Evans

The Victims Photographs - Stawell Heard

Who was the Mortuary Photographer ? - Adrian Phypers
                  Hello Jon, teflondazza, Magpie, John Bennett, et al.

Jon, the dissertations you mention are all worth reading, although more definitive still is Robert McLaughlin's The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, Zwerghaus Books, October 2003. The book, printed in a limited edition, might be hard to find but hopefully will be reprinted. In the book, Robert argues that the photographer who took the photographs was Joseph Martin who took over the business of Joseph Gumprecht (the name "Gumprecht" is on the back of some of the photos, Tabram certainly). Check out this old thread here, "Joseph Martin - The man who photographed Mary Kelly?" as well as a recent podcast featuring Robert McLaughlin.

All the best

Chris
                  Christopher T. George
                  Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                  just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                  For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                  RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Cheers for the links, Chris and let`s not forget William Michael`s piece "Photographing Miller`s Court" in Ripperologist No.80

Comment

Does anyone else remember that rumour that supposedly Harry Houdini possessed a crime scene photograph of MJK? I am unable to name a source for that rumour though.

Comment

i seem to have heard it before also but cant find anything about it. I did however learn something new about Houdini. I have always believed he died while performing his act. It seems this is not hte case and that he actually died in a hospital in Detroit of a ruptured appendix.

Comment

i seem to have heard it before also but cant find anything about it. I did however learn something new about Houdini. I have always believed he died while performing his act. It seems this is not hte case and that he actually died in a hospital in Detroit of a ruptured appendix.
                          I thought everyone knew that story...he was backstage before the final performance and a couple of young men were introduced to him, he offered to let one test his abdominal muscle strength by punching him as hard as he could. It ruptured his appendix....and caused him to screw up the water torture trick.

Cheers.

Comment

i seem to have heard it before also but cant find anything about it.
                            smezenen - I am so glad there is someone else that heard the rumour that Houdini once possessed a MJK crime scene photograph. I am totally unable to remember where I read or heard this from! It feels like a bit of knowledge that just sprouted in my head. Could this be the very beginnings of old age making itself known? Naaaaaah.....

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                              I thought everyone knew that story...he was backstage before the final performance and a couple of young men were introduced to him, he offered to let one test his abdominal muscle strength by punching him as hard as he could. It ruptured his appendix....and caused him to screw up the water torture trick.

Cheers.
                              almost correct but he performed the entire show then was taken to hospital the doctor operated but it was too late the appendix had ruptured and Houdini was infected. He died 7 days later on halloween. here is a good link to the true story. http://www.apl.org/history/houdini/biography.html

Comment

Working...
                              X