X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teflondazza
    started a topic Mortuary Photographs

Mortuary Photographs

So the first four canonical victims were photographed in the mortuary prior to or after postmortem...were there any pictures of MJK taken? Given that she was automatically taken as being a victim of Jack, why was the methodology of investigation suddenly changed? Given all the descriptions of Kelly, would this provide evidence that it wasn't her in Millers Court?

• Dr. John Watson
    replied
    Originally posted by Nothing to see View Post
    You're thinking of Sir Melville McNaughton.
    From the Internet:

In 1893 William Melville became Superintendent of Scotland Yard's Special Branch when his predecessor John Littlechild retired to become a private investigator. In the next ten years, Melville embarked on a large series of well-publicized raids against anarchists. He went to Victoria Station to personally arrest bomber Théodule Meunier. In June 1900 Melville met future stage magician Harry Houdini when he came to Scotland Yard to showcase his abilities as an escapologist. When Houdini released himself easily from the police handcuffs, Melville befriended him and reputedly learned lock picking.
    On 1 November 1903, Melville resigned as superintendent. According to the conclusions of author Andrew Cook, his biographer, which are not accepted by all historians, Melville then became the head of British Secret Intelligence Service with the code name "M".

The only similarity between Melville and Macnaghten [note correct spelling] is they share a name.

"One Should Look Before One Leaps"

Leave a comment:

• Nothing to see
    replied
    You're thinking of Sir Melville McNaughton.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. John Watson
    replied
    Originally posted by Brenda View Post
    Does anyone else remember that rumour that supposedly Harry Houdini possessed a crime scene photograph of MJK? I am unable to name a source for that rumour though.
    I had never heard this story, but there is reason to believe it's true. Houdini had several personal contacts within Scotland Yard, one of whom was William Melville, head of the Special Branch in the 1800s (and inspiration for the character "M" in the James Bond stories). Melville was certainly well versed in the Ripper investigation, especially with respect to one-time suspect Francis Tumblety. In later years, he was also in the habit of taking friends on a tour of famous crime scenes in London, as were other officers who had worked on the Ripper case, and Houdini would very likely have availed himself of such a tour. Thus, it would be no surprise if one of Houdini's police friends had presented him with a copy of the Kelly crime scene photo.

Leave a comment:

• Nothing to see
    replied
    Originally posted by Brenda View Post
    Does anyone else remember that rumour that supposedly Harry Houdini possessed a crime scene photograph of MJK? I am unable to name a source for that rumour though.
    Well, there are 2 of you here who have heard of this. First time I've heard any of it. I participated in the very long MJK murder photo thread and besides the very good advise given here, it might be worth while for anyone interested to read some of the hardcore photo discussion on that thread.

Leave a comment:

• smezenen
    replied
    Originally posted by perrymason View Post
    I thought everyone knew that story...he was backstage before the final performance and a couple of young men were introduced to him, he offered to let one test his abdominal muscle strength by punching him as hard as he could. It ruptured his appendix....and caused him to screw up the water torture trick.

Cheers.
    almost correct but he performed the entire show then was taken to hospital the doctor operated but it was too late the appendix had ruptured and Houdini was infected. He died 7 days later on halloween. here is a good link to the true story. http://www.apl.org/history/houdini/biography.html

Leave a comment:

• Brenda
    replied
    Originally posted by smezenen View Post
    i seem to have heard it before also but cant find anything about it.
    smezenen - I am so glad there is someone else that heard the rumour that Houdini once possessed a MJK crime scene photograph. I am totally unable to remember where I read or heard this from! It feels like a bit of knowledge that just sprouted in my head. Could this be the very beginnings of old age making itself known? Naaaaaah.....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by smezenen View Post
    i seem to have heard it before also but cant find anything about it. I did however learn something new about Houdini. I have always believed he died while performing his act. It seems this is not hte case and that he actually died in a hospital in Detroit of a ruptured appendix.
    I thought everyone knew that story...he was backstage before the final performance and a couple of young men were introduced to him, he offered to let one test his abdominal muscle strength by punching him as hard as he could. It ruptured his appendix....and caused him to screw up the water torture trick.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• smezenen
    replied
    i seem to have heard it before also but cant find anything about it. I did however learn something new about Houdini. I have always believed he died while performing his act. It seems this is not hte case and that he actually died in a hospital in Detroit of a ruptured appendix.

Leave a comment:

• Brenda
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jon Guy
    replied
    Cheers for the links, Chris and let`s not forget William Michael`s piece "Photographing Miller`s Court" in Ripperologist No.80

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
    Hello All

For further reading of the Kelly/mortuary photos check out the following works found in the dissertation menu (on the left of the screen) :

The Kelly Crime Scene Photographs - Stewart Evans

The Victims Photographs - Stawell Heard

Who was the Mortuary Photographer ? - Adrian Phypers
    Hello Jon, teflondazza, Magpie, John Bennett, et al.

Jon, the dissertations you mention are all worth reading, although more definitive still is Robert McLaughlin's The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, Zwerghaus Books, October 2003. The book, printed in a limited edition, might be hard to find but hopefully will be reprinted. In the book, Robert argues that the photographer who took the photographs was Joseph Martin who took over the business of Joseph Gumprecht (the name "Gumprecht" is on the back of some of the photos, Tabram certainly). Check out this old thread here, "Joseph Martin - The man who photographed Mary Kelly?" as well as a recent podcast featuring Robert McLaughlin.

All the best

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Jon Guy
    replied
    Dissertations

Hello All

For further reading of the Kelly/mortuary photos check out the following works found in the dissertation menu (on the left of the screen) :

The Kelly Crime Scene Photographs - Stewart Evans

The Victims Photographs - Stawell Heard

Who was the Mortuary Photographer ? - Adrian Phypers

Leave a comment:

• smezenen
    replied
    Thanks for clarifying John I knew there was something about the numbering being off but couldnt remember exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    According to accounts, there was an entire book of photos of the victims.

Sadly a lot of stuff has gone missing over the years. It's only relatively recently that what photos we do have were rediscovered.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X