Likely Lipski Link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

Could Pipeman have whistled after Schwartz had run off but decided not to give chase and instead go back to Stride?...to either help her or kill her?
    A small amendment and I'm with you:
    Could Pipeman have decided not to give chase and instead go back to Stride?...to either help her or kill her?

Cheers, George
    They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
    Out of a misty dream
    Our path emerges for a while, then closes
    Within a dream.
    Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

Hershberg seemed to know a lot and be very observant. He could the see the cachous, even claiming to know the approximate number of them. On the other hand, he said nothing about grapes. Were they real? Reading his quote, do you get the impression that he knew who Koster was? The name appears elsewhere in that edition.
      I have doubts about the grapes being real.

I assume you mean this quote: "The body was not found by Koster, but by a man whose name I do not know, a man who goes out with a pony and barrow ...". I'm not able to read much into that quote about how much he knows about Koster. It sounds to me like he thought for one reason or another that someone might have thought that Koster found the body, but he could have thought this while knowing very little about Koster or while knowing a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

A small amendment and I'm with you:
        Could Pipeman have decided not to give chase and instead go back to Stride?...to either help her or kill her?

Cheers, George
        Pipeman would have faced the same problem as the B.S. man -- committing a murder after being seen by Schwartz and/or B.S. man if they were not together.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Pipeman would have faced the same problem as the B.S. man -- committing a murder after being seen by Schwartz and/or B.S. man if they were not together.

c.d.
          That's true, and Parcelman was seen by Smith. So are you thinking that she was killed by someone other than one of these three?

Cheers, George
          Out of a misty dream
          Within a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

That's true, and Parcelman was seen by Smith. So are you thinking that she was killed by someone other than one of these three?

Cheers, George
            Yes, I think she was killed by the Ripper and he was none of the three listed. I think he showed up after the B.S. man left.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Yes, I think she was killed by the Ripper and he was none of the three listed. I think he showed up after the B.S. man left.

c.d.
              That's interesting c.d.. Can you expand your theory? Do you think he came from the street or the club, and after BSM left, did Stride stay in the gateway? Where was Parcelman?

Cheers, George
              Out of a misty dream
              Within a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

... As was discussed a while back I dont believe that there was any pub on Berner street near the club, and the story suggest that Pipeman was standing outside a pub. The only place Im aware of that was still serving beer to patrons, at that time, on that night, was the club. Might be a connection there.
                Doesn't the 1888 Post Office Directory settle this, squire? Not a pub, but a beer shop? What I in my childhood used to hear people call 'an offie' -- and likely not open at the time discussed...

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	818393

M.
                Last edited by Mark J D; 09-08-2023, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

I have doubts about the grapes being real.

I assume you mean this quote: "The body was not found by Koster, but by a man whose name I do not know, a man who goes out with a pony and barrow ...". I'm not able to read much into that quote about how much he knows about Koster. It sounds to me like he thought for one reason or another that someone might have thought that Koster found the body, but he could have thought this while knowing very little about Koster or while knowing a lot.
                  Yes that's the one.

What I find interesting about Koster is that he rated a mention in both the Times and the Irish Times. Not exactly small circulation papers looking for a scoop. According to Louis Diemschitz, he prodded the body when perched up on his costermonger's barrow, after his pony lurched to the left. I find that difficult to believe, given that he stated at the inquest; "The barrow was past the body when I got down to see what it was." I think the prodding occurred at later point, probably when other members were by the body. So, I think who discovered the body is an open question. At a guess, I would say that the lad referred to in the Times report, is Isaac Kozebrodski.
                  Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

The thing about that story is, people who plied their trade as a Costermonger were referred to casually as Koster. Diemshutz was a Koster, he was a Costermonger. I'm pretty sure Mayhew describes this in his London Labour and the London Poor.
                    So in a manner of speaking a Koster did find the body.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

The Irish Times referred to "a youth about twenty years of age named Joseph Koster".
                      Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post
                        The Irish Times referred to "a youth about twenty years of age named Joseph Koster".
                        Yes, I read it, I'm not saying it isn't his name, or a name he was known by. Koster is a real name, just like Smith is a real name, but we know how that came about, much the same way.
                        Was Joseph a Coster, is that why he was known by that name?
                        The story is obviously distorted, but there may have been a young man in the yard named Joseph who was one of the first to see the body.
                        Last edited by Wickerman; 09-09-2023, 05:12 PM.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                        X