Arbeter Fraint's Take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Observer,

I do not know much about this sort of medical thing. How long would blood continue to flow after death? What does this mean anyway? Does it mean that the blood had not coagulated? My initial thought is that Stride didn't die immediately, and that Schwartz's 12:45 estimate may have been wrong.

Rob H

Comment

• Hi Observer,

Blood flow stops with cardiac arrest. But blood remains subject to the force of gravity, so if the body is in the right position it will continue to trickle from a wound after the heart has stopped.

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Hello Caroline.

"The Schwartz sceptics may have a problem here, because if he had heard the rumour, would he really have put himself in the position of the man assumed to be the killer running away?"

Well, for the sake of argument, would that not be preferable to being thought the chased away murderer and later to be apprehended as such? In other words, IF this were the case, it would be like Leon Goldstein coming forward and admitting he was in the area WITH a black bag in hand. Ultimately, the better of two bad options.

"Hindsight tells us that if a witness had chased off the killer after the act, that witness would presumably have seen the act, which doesn't seem feasible. Certainly nobody raised the alarm for another quarter of an hour."

But if the hierarchy at the club had discovered a murder had taken place just outside their door, would it not be prudent to confer a bit about what to do before sounding the alarm? For example, they might wonder whether to remove the body, conceal it, etc. so that they were not suspected. (Of course, they would eventually reject such ideas.) Recall: the lads believed themselves watched by the police.

Cheers.
        LC
        Hi Lynn,

By 'Schwartz sceptics' I meant those who think he made the whole thing up (on the club's behalf?) to suggest a tipsy anti-Semitic thug as the killer rather than a club attendee. Why would he imagine that unless he went along with it he'd be apprehended as the chased away murderer if he hadn't been chased at all or hadn't even been there? I'm just saying it was a risky tale to make up once the rumour was in place that the murderer was seen at 12.45 being chased away from the scene of crime. All well and good if he was not making it up and had either not heard the rumour or felt the need to explain what the chase was really about (like Hutchinson perhaps).

But if the club was behind either of the chase stories, or knew the woman was dead by 12.45 but needed that extra quarter of an hour to decide what to do, why did the AF put her death that early and not much nearer to 1am, to tie in neatly with the pony and cart and help cover up this alleged delay in sounding the alarm? And why wasn't Schwartz told to say he saw the woman assaulted just before 1?

Also, would it not have been terribly risky to even think of mucking about with the times or the crime scene if they thought for one second that the police might be watching their movements?

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Hi Caz,

Your questions have hit upon the key to the Berner Street timing.

Why 1.00 am? Why not 12.45 am?

Drop any preconceptions and keep going.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• The answer is . . .

Hello Caroline.

"Why would he imagine that unless he went along with it he'd be apprehended as the chased away murderer if he hadn't been chased at all or hadn't even been there?"

Here's a coincidence. My answer was based upon your hypothesis, and yours upon mine. Personally, if the story was made up--as I suspect--he may not even have known about it. And the language barrier a boon. As in:

Wess: "Hey Izzie, this copper wants your Aunt Rebekah's recipe for knish. I'll translate.

Israel: (in Yiddish) "Sure thing. Take half a cup of . . ."

Later:

Wess. "Hey Izzie, that recipe is in demand. Now this nice reporter wants it."

"But if the club was behind either of the chase stories, or knew the woman was dead by 12.45 but needed that extra quarter of an hour to decide what to do, why did the AF put her death that early and not much nearer to 1am, to tie in neatly with the pony and cart and help cover up this alleged delay in sounding the alarm?"

I attribute that to a pure blunder. Not all club lads and lasses had attended the "pow wow" I should think. And really, what's the harm? Apparently nothing.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• In other words Schwartz thou art translated...

Dave

Comment

• Vladimir?

If Kozebrodsky and Gilyarovsky are one and the same (as would seem likely by many of the similarities as alleged of their movements) why do you suppose that particular pseudonym?

In Russia the campaigning journalist cum crime reporter Vladimir Gilyarovsky has just, the previous year, published "The Stories of the Slums"...is AF, a more humble revolutionary publication, attempting to associate itself with a more renowned name in campaigning?

Incidentally Russian government censors suppressed the Gilyarovsky book and burned the whole edition....

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by robhouse View Post
                  Hi Observer,

I do not know much about this sort of medical thing. How long would blood continue to flow after death? What does this mean anyway? Does it mean that the blood had not coagulated? My initial thought is that Stride didn't die immediately, and that Schwartz's 12:45 estimate may have been wrong.

Rob H
                  Hi Rob.

The key word here I believe is "flowing". I stand to be corrected but I'd say that any blood flow would have ceased very shortlly after Liz Stride died. Considering the injury, I'd also say that she would have been dead within a few minutes of recieving the injury. If Schwarz's timing was out, then that's a different kettle of fish. What leads you to believe that Schwartz was mistaken regarding the time he witnessed the attack ?

Regards

Observer

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Hi Observer,

Blood flow stops with cardiac arrest. But blood remains subject to the force of gravity, so if the body is in the right position it will continue to trickle from a wound after the heart has stopped.

Regards,

Simon
                    Hi Simon

Did the yard slope from the street down to the drain? I would suggeet it did, as Liz Stride's blood flowed away from her in the direction of the drain. So she lay in the correct position for blood to trickle after death. But surely if she had been murdered at 12:45 a.m. by 1:05 a.m. wouldn't clotting have arrested the flow? We need an expert.

Regards

Observer

Comment

• a thought

Hello Dave.

"In Russia the campaigning journalist cum crime reporter Vladimir Gilyarovsky has just, the previous year, published "The Stories of the Slums"...is AF, a more humble revolutionary publication, attempting to associate itself with a more renowned name in campaigning?

Incidentally Russian government censors suppressed the Gilyarovsky book and burned the whole edition...."

Umm, you thinking what I'm thinking?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• Possibly (says he cagily)...

Comment

• People think I'm crank enough already though, don't they?

DW

Comment

• Hi Observer,

I would say this. Try an experiment... without looking at a clock, guess what time it is right now. Then look at the clock, and post the result. I will do the same here.... I have not looked at a clock in at least an hour.

Guessing it is 5: 15PM. Actual time 5: 19... much better than I expected actually.

Rob H

Comment

• I thought it was 8.55pm....it was actually 9.21...hmm

Dave

Comment

• Hi Observer,

As blood cannot run uphill, Dutfields Yard must have been on a downward incline from the gates.

Dr. Blackwell mentioned a pound [16 ounces] of clotted blood and also running blood, which is awkward. But I guess he must have factored both these into consideration before determining Stride's time of death.

We either believe Dr. Blackwell, or we have good reason to ignore him.

The Ripper interruptus body of opinion chose to ignore him. A bit like Wynne Baxter ignoring Dr. Phillips' estimated time of Chapman's death.

And before you ask, no I cannot explain it. I wish I could.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Working...
                                X