X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• information, please

Hello Maria.

"Could you remind me again for which years we're talking?"

I presume during the entire existence of the Okhrana.

"Are there lots of boxes with photographs in the Stanford collection?'

Difficult to say. No information to me as yet.

"Are these just photographs with names, or does it also contain files with more substantial info about the anarchists under surveillance?"

Not sure, hopefully the latter.

"I've been through a couple boxes including photos (like the ones you posted on the Kaufmann thread) at the Paris Police Museum's archives, where I've finished with the anarchists, as they didn't have too many materials. The real enchilada is at the Archives Nationales, still 10 boxes to go. Gonna order 3 of them in a minute, unfortunately the system doesn't let one order more than 3. :-( Hope to be going through them on Friday afternoon/Saturday morning. And I REALLY hope the boxes go on further with files on the anarchists listed alphabetically, while it's totally possible that the files suddenly stop and what follows is 8 boxes of Russian newspapers! I've stopped at letter “D“, so if you have any anarchists on your mind with a name starting from “D“ to "Z", please let me know, Lynn..."

Of course. And good luck!

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• 'Ow many Romans?

Hello Maria. I am here.

It's "Et Tu Brute." You have second declension nominative case; second declension vocative is required.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• Thank you for clarifying, Lynn, and the BEST of lucks with it containing enough information, and getting over to you fast.
        I STILL haven't ordered those 3 boxes of anarchist reports at the AN, eaten that quiche, or gotten up from bed. Way to go. Feels SOOO good to be lazy though, esp. after having sat at my desk for 11 hours straight the other day, polishing the book manuscript. And I mean 11 hours straight, without even having drunk a glass of water or gone to the loo. Started with the manuscript at about 22.00 p.m. and stopped around 9.00 a.m.. :-)

Yes. Thought about “Brut-e“ in vocative, but wasn't sure. Thank you, Lynn. As for the context, it was definitely wrong.
        Last edited by mariab; 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

• Lynn Cates:

"It's "Et Tu Brute." You have second declension nominative case; second declension vocative is required."

Correct. Unless, of course, it was "Kai sy, teknon" ...?

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
            Rob, I'm usually in full agreement with you on topographical questions and usually defer to your extensive knowledge in such matters. But doesn't the 1891 census show the Lord Nelson to be 29 Fairclough Street?

[ATTACH]12073[/ATTACH]
            Hi Stewart,

Interesting. The 1881 Census, the 1889 directory, the 1899 Goads and the 1909 photograph show the address as 46 Berner Street.

Click image for larger version

Name:	46 Berner Street 1881 Census.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	662338

Name:	Berner Street 1889.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	662339

Name:	46 Berner Street May 1899.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	662340

Name:	46 Berner Street 1909.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	662341

46 doesn't appear on the 1891 census for Berner Street, and 29 would be the correct number for a Fairclough Street address. So I think we are both probably right in a strange way.

Rob

Comment

• what a coincidence

Hello Maria. The devilish thing about Latin is that the vocative and nominative cases coincide EXCEPT in the second declension.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Greek to me

Hello Christer. Ich verstehe das nicht.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• Maria

NOT Debs. Debs is the WonderWoman of research in Ripperology, and one of my heroes. But I'm trying to quit an embarrassing habit of “naming her name in vain“ on the boards – and quit pretty much cold turkey, which, as everyone knows, ain't easy.[/QUOTE]

I am sure Debs is pleased you hold her in such regard, however that leaves me and Caz...I am not sure what Caz has done to credit such an unprovoked attack, I personally wouldn't call her a whining, inelegant, hysterical woman myself, her play on words are infamous on the caption threads lone, without the other threads she contributes to, but I guess you are allowed to have a different opinion to me. (Not sure Caz will like it though)

As for calling me it, although incorrect on every name, I guess I can understand you would be a little hacked off since I managed to call your bluff repeatedly yesterday

Tracy
                  It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    "I expect such nonsense from posters who haven’t been around to see me proved right at every turn, such as Phil H, or the little gaggle that walk the London streets, frustrated at their own lack of imagination."

Now Thomas. To label Rob Clack, John Bennett and Mark Ripper as lacking in imagination is, I assume, a humourless joke on your part.

These are repsected published authors, whereas your book has yet to see the light of day.

Also, we are both aware that you are not the pioneer in Le Grand research, you tread in the footsteps of others.

You don't want to make enemies of those who feed you.

Monty
                    Don't forget to add yourself and Philip into that group.

Quite surprised by Tom's comments. I don't think it was through a lack of imagination that I found the date of Le Grands release from prison in 1906 and that he was arrested for forgery two years later under a new alias. Most of the details for which were found by Debs.

Rob

Comment

• Lynn Cates:

"Hello Christer. Ich verstehe das nicht."

Well, it is not German anyhow, as you will appreciate, Lynn - it is Greek. It has been suggested that Caesar and the people at the top of Roman society spoke Greek, just to show off. In Sweden, king Gustav III cried "Ah - je suis blessé!" as he was shot in the part where the back switches name, at the famous masquerade ball. French was the language spoken by the court, mostly. That´s composure for you! He died three weeks later.
                      "Kai sy, teknon" means "Even you, my child", by the way.

... and there endeth my knowledge of the Greek language - the rest is all Greek to me.

The best, Lynn!
                      Fisherman
                      Last edited by Fisherman; 06-08-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• To Lynn and Fish:
                        And I thought that Lynn's quote referred to Jesus saying that to Judas or something.

Only the “whining“ referred to Caz, with whom I was assuming that everything was fine, as we've had a nice, interesting exchange of ideas last week or whenever it was in this very thread.

Originally posted by tji View Post
                        I guess I can understand you would be a little hacked off since I managed to call your bluff repeatedly yesterday
                        In your dreams and in your own, strange phantasy world. And I don't even care to know what on earth is considered as my “bluff repeatedly“.

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                        Quite surprised by Tom's comments.
                        I don't think it was through a lack of imagination that I found the date of Le Grands release from prison in 1906 and that he was arrested for forgery two years later under a new alias. Most of the details for which were found by Debs.
                        Like I said, I'm pretty sure Tom refers to Jon Guy/Observer and to a specific Stride thread from December, a particularly entertaining one.
                        Rob! Yours/Debs' release date, about which it's the VERY first time I hear about, might fit with the source I've found in Paris!! Can you tell me how long Le Grand got for forgery in 1908, and if his alias that time started with an “A.“?
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

• [QUOTE=mariab;178651

Like I said, I'm pretty sure Tom refers to Jon Guy/Observer and to a specific Stride thread from December, a particularly entertaining one.
                          Rob! Yours/Debs' release date, about which it's the VERY first time I hear about, might fit with the source I've found in Paris!! Can you tell me how long Le Grand got for forgery in 1908, and if his alias that time started with an “A.“?[/QUOTE]

Well I'm sure Tom can speak for himself.

Le Grand got four years in 1908 and was sent to Wormwood Scrubs. I can't find him on the 1911 census for the scrubs so don't know what happenned to him after 1908. He used the alias George Jackson.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
                            Mark “Ripper“
                            Can I ask why Maria puts Marks surname in inverted commas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                              Don't forget to add yourself and Philip into that group.

Quite surprised by Tom's comments. I don't think it was through a lack of imagination that I found the date of Le Grands release from prison in 1906 and that he was arrested for forgery two years later under a new alias. Most of the details for which were found by Debs.

Rob
                              Too kind Rob,

I am fully aware of Debs asstance to Tom. He would do well to remember that no one stands alone in this field. We all benefit from each other.

And apologies to Philip, who obtained a photograph of Dutfields Yard amongst his other unimaginative works.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjon View Post
                                Can I ask why Maria puts Marks surname in inverted commas?
                                Yes, I was wondering that too....

Comment

Working...
                                X