Arbeiter Fraint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Wonder if they met just after the murder to discuss actions to be taken?
    Yes, that's what I was hinting at.

I had thought that "Schwartz" was like the German in that respect.
    Yep, thus my "Schwartz" could refer to anything from the black market to coal miners! But it comes a lot of times repeatedly and in what seems like declinations, so it might be the name. Plus the dates fit. We'll see.

Now, I must have a good cry. (90% cost overrun.)
    Oh-my-God! For page 4, or the entire issue?
    Lynn, the London translator requires only 30-pounds an hour.
    And I'm trying to do my thing without paying, but we'll see how that goes over.
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

translators

Hello Maria. Thanks. It was for one page.

I appreciate the suggestion, but Dr. T knows what she is about. I LOVE competence.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Lynn, I might try the London guy for myself if it comes to that. He's supposed to be the top British Hebrew translator, and he appears to be quick. And there's nothing I find hotter than competence and efficiency myself. ;-)
        Still, let me try to see if Schwartz in Chicago can translate “Schwartz“.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Give it a go.

Hello Maria. Just as you wish.

Let me know how it works out.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

WCM article in AF

Hello All. After consultation with Professor Turtletaub, the article--hinted at by Jacob Rombro (Phillip Kranz)--about the WCM was located. It is huge (about 1/3 the entire paper for October 5, 1888) and deemed worthy of a VERY large headline.

Hopefully, it will contain new material and not just a rehash of the daily/weekly news stories.

Needless to say, this is heading to Chicago in double quick time.

Wish me luck.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

TC

Hello All. Very well--just a bit of titillation. In looking over the article (written in Yiddish script, similar to Hebrew) I found 2 letters in Latin script. They were "TC."

Perhaps a discussion of Kate's initials?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Schwartz not mentioned in 1903

The best of lucks with the translation of the October 5th AF article discussing the Whitechapel murders, Lynn. Let's see what all it mentions (or not?).

Perhaps this is a good time to report that, despite us knowing for certain (through the reports of the French secret police, located by me at the Paris Archives Nationales) that Schwartz the anarchist was organizing meetings almost daily in June 1903 at Liberty Hall, none of the 4 AF issues from June 1903 mention or advertize this fact.
                The Yiddish words I've located in 3 AF issues from June 1903 were NOT “Schwartz“, just other words starting with “schwa“. My interpretation of this is that they kept quite about it to stay under the radar, considering all the French spies circulating and eavesdropping around London.
                Lynn, I was thinking if you would be interested in having a look at the (conservative) Jewish Standard for June 1903, to see if they mention anything about intense Jewish anarchist activity.
                I have absolutely no time to engage in this right now, but I plan to have a look for “Schwartz“ in the AFs from the spring of 1905 (March-May) as well, during which Schwartz has also been reported to have been active by the French secret police. I've befriended Prof. Jerry Sadock here at the UofC, who decifers the Yiddish for me (that is, AFTER I have first searched and located it in the AF), and he has also given me the Yiddish orthography for the word “farzamlung“ (as in “meeting“).
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

I found 2 letters in Latin script. They were "TC."
                  Perhaps a discussion of Kate's initials?
                  Lynn, are you referring to Thomas Conway/Thomas Quinn?
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

Jewish Standard

Hello Maria. OK. "Jewish Standard" it is.

Yes, that is Thomas Conway.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Hello Maria. OK. "Jewish Standard" it is.
                      Wow, thank you so much Lynn! (Terribly busy and a bit sick right now to do more that the Yiddish search.)
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

• oops

Hello Maria. Bad news. Just found out I have no access past 1891.

So sorry.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Lynn, I assume you're referring to www.newspaperarchive.com? Maybe The Jewish Standard is available elsewhere, perhaps at the British Library with accessibility online? There's also The Jewish Chronicle.
                          Terribly sorry not to be able to spend more time on this, gotta get back to my boss. But I'll look for Schwartz in the AFs from 1905 soon.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

• British Library

Hello Maria. The "Jewish Chronicle" requires subscription. The British Library for the "Jewish Standard" is a good idea.

Thanks.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• new names

Hello All. Just received word from Professor Turtletaub that she has located 3 new names from Berner st.

1. Gilyarovsky

2. Yaffa

3. Fridenthal

If anyone knows anything about any of these chaps please post the information when convenient.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Hi Lynn

Fridenthal is already in the system :

(special members meeting)

No idea who he was though.

Comment

Working...
                                X