Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Christer. Thanks.

Of course, you are right that it is guesswork. Still, if one is approaching the body from the south, the right arm will be across the body and MUCH easier to access than the left which is partly beneath her body.

Candy cachous will work fine--provided they are small enough.

Cheers.
    LC
    That would depend on what sort of access you were looking for. When Johnston leant in over her body, he would see the left hand, lying firmly against the ground, fixated there by the weight of Stride´s body, and with the pulse side of the wrist facing up.
    Johnston only had to stretch his hand down and put his fingers against the wrist - mission accomplished.

The best,
    Fisherman

Comment

Hello Cris. Absolutely.

Not sure why that point even comes up anymore. If the doctors were mistaken about such, well, that's another thing. But the forensic evidence should be agreed on by now--at least as Blackwell and Phillips articulated it.
      Indeed... as incomplete as it is, its all we've got that offers somewhat of a solid reference. It may be somewhere, but I've not seen a primary source that stated the cachous was spilled anywhere but the gutter, which would have been almost under her left hand, considering how close to the wall she was.
      Best Wishes,
      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunter View Post
        Indeed... as incomplete as it is, its all we've got that offers somewhat of a solid reference. It may be somewhere, but I've not seen a primary source that stated the cachous was spilled anywhere but the gutter, which would have been almost under her left hand, considering how close to the wall she was.
        Dr Phillips Inquest testimony :

[Coroner] Does the presence of the cachous in the left hand indicate that the murder was committed very suddenly and without any struggle? - Some of the cachous were scattered about the yard.

Comment

• suggestion

Hello Jon. Thanks. Yes, AFTER her throat was cut.

What is your suggestion?

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

• contained

Hello (again) Jon. Thanks.

And there is the key. They were contained in tissue paper. So the spill should have occurred at once--on account of the doctors.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• Eileen Dover

Hello Christer. Thanks.

Why lean over her when her right was, um, ready to hand?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• yup

Hello Cris. Thanks.

Exactly correct. And, as I've said before, if the doctors are wrong, I am wrong.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• Hi Lynn

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  What is your suggestion?
                  During the altercation but before her throat was cut.

Comment

• Hi Lynn

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    And there is the key. They were contained in tissue paper. So the spill should have occurred at once--on account of the doctors.

I don`t think they were held together as securely as you think.
                    If some spilled out when removed from hand why not before?

Comment

• get a grip

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Securely? I would have said tenuously.

Yes, the move to the throat caused a clench; but, after all, we are talking about a thumb and forefinger.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hello Christer. Thanks.

Why lean over her when her right was, um, ready to hand?

Cheers.
                        LC
                        Because otherwise Johnston would be obliged to find out about her condition by looking at her from behind.

Of course he leant in over her. He unbuttoned her clothing at the chest, for example. He could hardly have done so without leaning in over her. And when he did, he did so aided by lamplight, a light that exposed the left hand, whereas the right one would have been submerged in darkness close to or touching the ground, if my take on things is correct.

And why wouldn´t it be?

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

• Is Christer a leftist?

Hello Christer. Thanks.

But her right was practically staring him in the face. Why lean in and pull her arm out from under her, merely for a pulse?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Hello Christer. Thanks.

But her right was practically staring him in the face. Why lean in and pull her arm out from under her, merely for a pulse?

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Maybe you´ve misunderstood me, Lynn.

I have never said that he did any armpulling at all. Maybe you are pulling my leg instead?

Her left arm was stretched out on the ground, palm side of the hand up. That presented Johnston with the opportunity to kneel down, stretch in over her and calmly press his own fingers against her wrist to palpate for her pulse. He did not need to grab an arm before doing so, he did not have to lift an arm to do so. He only needed to take advantage of the arm on the ground, presented with the wrist up and with the supporting ground beneath it.

The reason doctors lift and hold hands and wrists before palpating for the pulse, is because they need to steady the hand and wrist and thus enable a better position in which to feel the pulse. The wrist is not suppose to give way, since that would disenable a full finger contact with the kind of pressure that is needed to establish the pulse. A hand and wrist already fixed, and with supporting ground underneath it, is in this respect a perfect object to palpate.

Her right hand would have been out of sight to him, if my hunch is correct. It would have rested in darkness down by the ground. And since Johnston was dealing with a murder victim, he would have taken great care not to change the way in which she lay. Therefore, the left hand was the ideal bid - it would only involve touching the wrist with his fingertips. And if - as I believe - he could see that hand fully, whereas he could not see the right hand, why would he risk to lift that hand? He could have tampered with evidence held in it for all he knew.

That´s how I reason. I´m sure others disagree.

Totally sure, in fact.

All the best, Lynn!
                            Fisherman
                            Last edited by Fisherman; 10-09-2013, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• old arguments

Hello Christer. Thanks.

If I recall your photos, her arm was under her body almost as far as the elbow. But if her left arm were fully extended, it should be resting on the club wall.

And wasn't one of your old theses that her assassin palpated the right wrist and hence transferred blood?

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Hello Christer. Thanks.

If I recall your photos, her arm was under her body almost as far as the elbow. But if her left arm were fully extended, it should be resting on the club wall.

And wasn't one of your old theses that her assassin palpated the right wrist and hence transferred blood?

Cheers.
                                LC

Yes. But I never had Johnston down as the assassin.

And yes, she would have rested her body weight on the elbow and part of the lower arm, whereas her wrist and hand and part of the lower arm would have protruded from the body. And there would have been room for it - remember what Blackwell said about how she was obliquely across the yard.

The best,
                                Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                                X