Those Damned Cachous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    My apologies. The source was Eliza Cooper, from the inquest. Not Amelia Farmer. She doesn't say they were a recent purchase.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
    Wasn't Eliza Cooper the woman Annie had fought with a few days before her death?

curious

Comment

• The cachous couldn't have been that old. Whatever their stated purpose was, they did nothing for the breath really. It was straight up candy. Rosewater and sugar. Not like Altoids which last a long time because you chemically burned your tongue on them once and you won't make that mistake again. It would be like carrying around an open bag of m&ms. Open bags of m&ms don't last more than a day.
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Hi Curious,

Polly may have purchased the bonnet herself. Or even stolen it. Unfortunately, virtually nothing is known about her associates the last few weeks of her life, except that she had a female friend she was seen with a few times.

Yes, Eliza Cooper fought with Annie Chapman as few as once and as many as three times in the days prior to her murder.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• For myself I still see the green silk as potentially a wedding dress...assuming it's a big enough piece...which would explain why it's so precious to her

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
            For myself I still see the green silk as potentially a wedding dress...assuming it's a big enough piece...which would explain why it's so precious to her

All the best

Dave
            Wow, that's quite a leap you've made. I'd consider it as payment (either for cleaning or prostitution) before I'd consider it as wedding dress material. A wedding dress would assume some sort of legitimate wedding in her future and there's no evidence of that.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi Tom

Yes it is quite a leap to say the least, (and I agree there's no evidence of anything in the offing), but as a sort of "set aside", to me it makes a kind of sense. By the by was it silk or velvet? Reports seem to vary.

It could equally be something put aside for making into other clothing, but whatever, it was certainly something she saw as a treasured possession, hence her placing it in Catherine Lane's care

All the best

Dave

Comment

• velvet

Hello Dave. Velvet, perhaps?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• I've always found it interesting that she left the velvet with a neighbor of Kidney's. As though she had not written off the possibility of returning home at some point as she had in the past.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I would think that the most probable answer to why she had cashous, or when she acquired them is that she spent her 6d earned that afternoon buying them, after she left the lodging house.

She isnt drunk when killed, we have no witnesses state they saw her drink or eat anything, and we know that A) she had 6d when she left the lodging house but no maidenfern and rose on her jacket, and B) no-one at the lodging house saw her take a cashous.

As to the point about the velvet and where she intended to sleep that night, its worth noting that Kidney stated himself that she was known to go away for weeks at a time....he says in essence she returned because he was her favourite. But if accurate it establishes a record of leaving a residence and not returning to it for days or weeks.

No assumption should be made that she intended to return that night for the cloth...only that she intended to seek out the woman who held onto it when she returned.

The request for a lint brush...the ankle length skirt...the flower on her jacket...the breath fresheners in her hand......for some this adds up to an Unfortunate soliciting?

Id suggest becoming familiar with the brutish encounters that passed for street sex with East End warehousemen before believing that flowers and fresh breath had anything to do with it.

Cheers

Comment

• The request for a lint brush...the ankle length skirt...the flower on her jacket...the breath fresheners in her hand......for some this adds up to an Unfortunate soliciting?

Id suggest becoming familiar with the brutish encounters that passed for street sex with East End warehousemen before believing that flowers and fresh breath had anything to do with it.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Hello Michael,

Yes, but all of those things only seem to be pertinent at the beginning of the evening. And unfortunately they don't tell us why she was last seen late at night standing by herself as though she were (gasp!) soliciting.

c.d.

Comment

• Hello Lynn,

I can't stand the suspense anymore. I am just going to come out with it. Jack killed her. Right? I mean that would seem like the obvious answer.

c.d.

Comment

• Don't know jack.

Hello CD. Thanks.

Not obvious to me. In fact, that there WAS a Jack does not seem obvious to me.

So, should I laugh, cry, yawn or sigh? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Hello Lynn,

My advice would be to start small. Assume that there was such a person as Jack the Ripper and go from there. Hope that helps.

c.d.

Comment

• Hello Lynn,

Come to think of it, I never heard the police refer to the Whitechapel murderers. Plural.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                                Hello Lynn,

Come to think of it, I never heard the police refer to the Whitechapel murderers. Plural.

c.d.
                                Some did. In fact, damn near all of them, by virtue of the fact that most did not believe one man responsible for all 11 murders. Some (such as Warren) went a step further and suggested that more than one man, working in tandem, was responsible for the bulk of the series.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X