Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello (again) Velma.

"There's a thread running through these murders of the victims all having something new, or fairly new, which could indicate little gifts.

Perhaps it would be the killer's way of playing a cat and mouse game with his victims, savoring what was to come . . . setting them up to trust him."

Oops, getting colder.

What did Annie have that was new?

Cheers.
    LC
    recently acquired rings

Comment

• recent

Hello Velma. Thanks.

Recently acquired?

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Hello Michael. Ah, but it's the little things that crack the case.
        Yes. I guess it's solved then.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

• Something old - Chapman's rings
          Something new - Nichols' bonnet and dress
          Something borrowed - Eddowes' shawl (taken by PC Simpson)
          Something blue - Kelly's eyes

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• almost

Hello Michael. Well, almost.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• married

Hello Tom. The "Ripper" was about to marry one of the ladies then? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post
                recently acquired rings
                it was worded like that in some research

Comment

• Chapman had purchased the rings from a black man. The source was her friend, Amelia Farmer. Not sure it was all that recently though.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• cheap

Hello Velma. Thanks.

I missed that one.

I assume they were the cheap jack stuff from her marriage, but I could be wrong.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Och.

Hello Tom. Given their cheapness, I would have thought a Scots lad. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• My apologies. The source was Eliza Cooper, from the inquest. Not Amelia Farmer. She doesn't say they were a recent purchase.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          Chapman had purchased the rings from a black man. The source was her friend, Amelia Farmer. Not sure it was all that recently though.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          Thanks, Tom,
                          Actually I have seen both. Unfortunately, I don't recall where for either story.

I guess my memory held on to the "recently" because the possibility of something new for them all intrigued me from the very beginning.

Comment

• Considering we're talking about 'new' items, I figured it's worth mentioning that it's a myth that Polly Nichols bought her bonnet or dress on the day of her murder. While she remarked on it as 'new' to the watchman of 18 Thrawl Street, and he or she had not seen Polly with the bonnet before, this is because they had not seen her for a few weeks since she had left the house. Polly's birthday was just days prior to this and I suspect that's when she acquired the bonnet. No way of knowing for sure, but nowhere does it state she acquired it on the day of her murder as I've seen a number of people write over the years.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                              Only in ripperology can something as seemingly innocuous as breath freshioners be used to bolster several possible theories about how a woman lived her last day on earth. If you really stop and analyze it, it's kind of nuts.
                              ... you're thinking of cashews, Mike
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                                Considering we're talking about 'new' items, I figured it's worth mentioning that it's a myth that Polly Nichols bought her bonnet or dress on the day of her murder. While she remarked on it as 'new' to the watchman of 18 Thrawl Street, and he or she had not seen Polly with the bonnet before, this is because they had not seen her for a few weeks since she had left the house. Polly's birthday was just days prior to this and I suspect that's when she acquired the bonnet. No way of knowing for sure, but nowhere does it state she acquired it on the day of her murder as I've seen a number of people write over the years.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                                Hi, Tom,
                                I must confess that some days I think the Whitechapel murders were opportunistic killings. Other days, I think they may have gone down differently.

So, Polly having the bonnet a few days doesn't diminish my considering.

Any idea who would give Polly a birthday present?

curious

Comment

Working...
                                X