Berner Street - Drawing from Ipswich Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fisherman,
    In East End Jewish Radicals by Fishman ,there are several descriptions of the Berner Street club,and in Appendix 1 there is an Evening Standard article of 1894, referring to it being judged to be unsafe by the local council,but there is no mention of it actually being pulled down.
    But ofcourse the whole thing could have been pulled down,or had additional windows put in,back and sides, been re-roofed ,re-chimneyed, recobbled, [or part -cobbled at the front] etc in the intervening twelve years.

Comment

If people are sceptical about the fact that at 40 Berner Street there was a 3-story building in front and a 2-story building behind, they can have a look at the Goad insurance plan, posted by Robert Clack on January 13, 2005:

Comment

Natalie Severn writes:
        "Fisherman,
        In East End Jewish Radicals by Fishman ,there are several descriptions of the Berner Street club,and in Appendix 1 there is an Evening Standard article of 1894, referring to it being judged to be unsafe by the local council,but there is no mention of it actually being pulled down."

Thanks for that, Natalie! I only posted it to show that there may have been a good reason to renovate the building in that particular age.

The best!
        Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
          Natalie Severn writes:
          "Fisherman,
          In East End Jewish Radicals by Fishman ,there are several descriptions of the Berner Street club,and in Appendix 1 there is an Evening Standard article of 1894, referring to it being judged to be unsafe by the local council,but there is no mention of it actually being pulled down."

Thanks for that, Natalie! I only posted it to show that there may have been a good reason to renovate the building in that particular age.

The best!
          Fisherman

However,the problem I see with that line of reasoning is that Philip tells us that Dutfield"syard underwent some renovation/ extensive building works,in 1892 and if that is the case then clearly the old building that housed the Berner Street club could not have been part of that programme.The problem with regard to renovation after that date is that the leaseholder was apparently in deep litigation with the sub tenants in the latter part of the1890"s and therefore would have been most unlikely to incur such costs himself and neither would the absent landlord----such being notorious for neglecting their properties.However ,all of this can reasonably easily be checked out sometime at the official record office,who will have all such building works detailed in their archived records of leases.
          Best
          Norma

Comment

I'm getting confused with all this Fisherman and Fishman stuff. I vote we call our Swedish friend 'The Angler'. That name also has detective connotations.

Cheers,

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Working...
            X