The green velvet patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autolycus states:

"At this point I’m trying very hard to keep an open mind on all things Ripper."

Wise! The Ripper case is an open-and-shut-case. And open. And shut. And open...

I am sorry if you think I was implying that you were make a theory fit facts. I was not. I simply pointed to the fact that I feel no such need since the Stride case to me is NOT an open case. Itīs shut. Today.

The best!
    Fisherman

Comment

In The Great Scheme of Things.

Hi Fisherman

No apology necessary. No offence taken. I was just explaining where I was In The Great Scheme of Things.

Regards
      "...a snapper-up of unconsidered trifles."

Comment

Pea Coats, Sailors and Ripper Notes

I Googled some and got this:

"Ripper Notes: Murder by Numbers" is a collection of essays about the famous unidentified serial killer Jack the Ripper and related topics. Wolf Vanderlinden's questions the conventional wisdom about the time of death of Annie Chapman, the second of Jack's generally accepted victims, by a careful examination of the medical evidence and contradictions in witness testimony. Amanda Howard compares serial killers like Andrei Chikatilo, the BTK strangler, Albert Fish and the Green River Killer to see what they might tell us about the Ripper case. Also, Jeffrey Bloomfield gives the details on two forgotten cases of prostitutes murdered in London a few years before the more famous 1888 killings, Bernard Brown discusses the police officer who thought he almost caught the Whitechapel murderer, Des McKenna asks whether witnesses confused two different women as being Mary Kelly (generally considered the last Ripper victim) and Robert J. McLaughlin reports on a Punch & Judy-like theatre performance based upon the murders. There are also several short pieces looking at the latest news in Ripperology, the boom in books about the case, and similar topics. Ripper Notes is a nonfiction anthology series covering all aspects of the Jack the Ripper case.

If needs be scroll down and read the account on page 32/33. Maybe that was what I was thinking of.

Ripper Notes is produced by Dan Norder, a frequent poster on these boards.

Comment

Fascinating stuff in that article - imo this is the one authentic sighting we have by a reliable witness of the Ripper!

Back to the velvet - the entire neighbourhood was full of tailors' workshops and was also close to the docks. Any man might have paid for favours with a piece of cloth. Velvet was popular for trimmings esp on hats and collars and would make purses and bags. Such a scrap would be valuable to any very poor woman, even as a means of exchange ie barter - the currency of the penniless - if she had no use for it herself

I can't see why such transactions would be limited to sailors, in an area known for its textile businesses - not that I would at all discount the theory of JtR as a sailor who came and went, perhaps after having grown up in East London

Comment

Working...
          X