Cleveland Street Scandal Connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    When someone called "Thickbroom" becomes a carpenter, and his son becomes a gay gigolo.

Comment

When someone called "Thickbroom" becomes a carpenter, and his son becomes a gay gigolo.
      That there is funny!

Comment

Comment

Indeed, Jerry, but I don't see that this fact would have a bearing on whether he was connected to the Cleveland Street affair. It would be fascinating if he was, of course, and that's what we must prove. If it is true, then we have yet another spooky coincidence in the Eddowes case - the other being the connection between Arthur Pash (who sold Eddowes the boots), and Florence Pash (of Sickert and Royal Conspiracy fame).
          Hi Debs/Sam

Talking of another spooky coincidence regarding identical names but different people, the original article mentioned Charles Hammond as the brothel owner, co-incidentally there is another Charles Hammond who I think is the most likely candidate to be the 'seafarer man' suspect mentioned directly after the Nichols murder. I'll post something on the right thread at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
            Interesting Debs, are you referring back to a post you made years back on the other forums about Pearly Poll perhaps?

I found that post and you found her census entry written as Mary (Thomas) Connelly. The Thomas of course stands for Thomas Conway. haha That thread was speaking specifically about Pearly Poll being a man, not a woman.

Say Conway 10 times as fast as you can in a heavy english accent. Sounds like Connelly, no? (I'm reaching I know, forgive me)

Another strange coincidence.
            Last edited by jerryd; 07-10-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

illiterate

Hello Debs. Hammond was supposed to be unable to read.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

If Catherine Eddowes son became a female impersonator in the East End, then "like mother like son", I say! Probably does a mean fire engine!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...herine+Eddowes

Maybe he was trying to find his mother's killer?

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
                  If Catherine Eddowes son became a female impersonator in the East End, then... Probably does a mean fire engine!
                  Bit of an urban myth, as you probably know, MB. Truth is, Eddowes only used the fire-engine impression with the infant Thomas to express her affection for him. It was a case of "Love me, tender".
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Another Possible Thomas Conway

In 1871 census there is a Thomas Conway born 1862 Marlebone, son of George (a butcher) and Elizabeth Conway, living with them at no 2 Cleveland street Marylebone At that point he was a scholar.......
                    in 1881 he was still in no 2 Cleveland street with mum and dad. His profession is hard to read but looks like Printer House?

Cant yet find him in 1891

Pat...................

Comment

old

Hello Pat. Would he not be a few years too old?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hi Lynn Yes slight problem with age in 1881 he was said to be born in 1865 so slightly younger. Could be he was an entertainer for the guests?
                        The young lad said he was introduced by Thomas Conway didnt he?
                        Do you know what is known about the said Thomas? I did see he became a female impersonator.
                        His address was no 2 Cleveland street, do you know what number the scandal was at ?

I did find Catherine Eddowes son in all the census and could not see any connection.
                        One point, I have known of others that were born c1840s in St George the Martyr and all said they were born in Westminster. I think it covered that area at one time....
                        Pat

Comment

Hello Pat. Thanks.

The article put him at about 1868/9.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Hi Again Lynn I have found someone with him in their tree and asked them if they had heard anything, but being so far back they might not know.
                            If they do answer I will post it....
                            Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                              His address was no 2 Cleveland street, do you know what number the scandal was at ?
                              Hi Pat,

the number was 19 Cleveland Street.

It's very close. Maybe 19 was the first number that came to mind.

Or he had to pretend to be a teenager for business.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                                Hi Lynn Yes slight problem with age in 1881 he was said to be born in 1865 so slightly younger. Could be he was an entertainer for the guests?
                                The young lad said he was introduced by Thomas Conway didnt he?
                                Do you know what is known about the said Thomas? I did see he became a female impersonator.

I did find Catherine Eddowes son in all the census and could not see any connection.
                                One point, I have known of others that were born c1840s in St George the Martyr and all said they were born in Westminster. I think it covered that area at one time....
                                Pat
                                I think there's a pretty good chance that's him, Pat, despite the age.
                                Conway was a regular 'inmate' of 19 Cleveland St according to Ames (he didn't live there) in his 1891 press article, along with Newlove, Alies, Frank, and Dick (no surnames) he was one of the six main boys working there, plus transients. His name didn't come up in the actual 1889 case as far as I can see just in Ames 1891 revelations to the US press while Hammond was locked up.
                                Last edited by Debra A; 07-10-2014, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X