Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    As you say, it is indeed entirely speculation on my part but yes,
    I am indeed suggesting that Watkins may have been sheltering from the rain with ex-Pc George Morris at Kearley & Tonge. I don't think that's an original thought, but it is, to my mind, a plausible possibility.
    Hello Colin,

Yes, I agree. Plausible. But not just Watkins... espescially as we know it was raining at 1.30. That involves two policemen and their beats in reality, does it not?

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
      Of course if that be the case then they would have been talking which would have been heard in the square. Would the killer have risked carrying out the murder with known persons in close proximity especially if the door was ajar and a light on perhaps the killer would have been able to see the police man if that had been the case.

Two sides to every argument !
      Hello Trevor,

Providing the killer was IN the square at that time, yes.
      He could have been sheltering from the rain somewhere as well. haha! ;-)

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
        Even if Lawende had been sure in his own mind that it was the murdered woman he saw chatting with the man, he could not have been certain that this was the same man who went on to commit the murder. For all he knew, the man could have left Eddowes unharmed and her killer could have jumped out of the shadows and taken the opportunity to pounce. Maybe this made him reluctant to say he would recognise the man again, and one can see why he wouldn't want the man hanged on his account, Jewish or not.

We have similar situations with Chapman and Stride, where the last man allegedly seen with each victim need not have been the man who killed them. The killer could have been following, watching and waiting in the wings, with the aim of striking as soon as the woman was alone and any witnesses had departed.

Love,

Caz
        X
        On that basis how do you explain how they finished up in the murder location ?

The victim must have walked on her own steam to that location.

Of course the other point to consider which no one seems to have, is that the killer and Eddowes entered the square from one of the other two entrances.

But of course the timings are really not in dispute in my opinion as there is corroboration from other witnesses,

Comment

Even if Lawende had been sure in his own mind that it was the murdered woman he saw chatting with the man, he could not have been certain that this was the same man who went on to commit the murder. For all he knew, the man could have left Eddowes unharmed and her killer could have jumped out of the shadows and taken the opportunity to pounce. Maybe this made him reluctant to say he would recognise the man again, and one can see why he wouldn't want the man hanged on his account, Jewish or not.

We have similar situations with Chapman and Stride, where the last man allegedly seen with each victim need not have been the man who killed them. The killer could have been following, watching and waiting in the wings, with the aim of striking as soon as the woman was alone and any witnesses had departed.

Love,

Caz
          X
          Caz,

IF Lawende did in fact see Kate at the approximate time he claimed, and Watkins was correct about his 1:43-1:44am re-entering of Mitre Square, then its highly unlikely Kate met someone else after Sailor Man to be killed by. The timing doesnt allow for multiple meetings, hell...it barely allows for enough time to get her to the spot where she is murdered and still accomplish all that was done to her before fleeing before Watkins arrives.

Just like in the case of BSM, IF that story wasnt altered or fabricated, then BSM must be considered the primary suspect in Liz Strides death. The timing dictates those conclusions.

Cheers

Comment

On that basis how do you explain how they finished up in the murder location ?

The victim must have walked on her own steam to that location.
            Yep, Trev. But Eddowes was already in Mitre Square, whether she arrived with her killer, or with some other innocent man. The ripper could have followed the couple and waited for them to go their separate ways. He would have needed to wait until Lawende and co were out of sight and earshot in either scenario - so time enough for anyone with Eddowes to have taken his own leave and the ripper to strike.

Stride got to Dutfield's Yard under her own steam, and Chapman presumably went willingly with her killer to the backyard. But we don't know she didn't speak to any other men in Hanbury Street beforehand.

Love,

Caz
            X
            Last edited by caz; 11-11-2013, 05:06 AM.
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

You know Caz, I like this thought. JTR was a lurking opportunist. Perhaps he got his sexual gratification (or his rage build-up) from lurking in dark places, watching the women do the deed, and then pouncing on them, making them pay for their (and his) act of carnality. The idea is he would put himself through this punishment of watching the sexual acts and then do what he felt he had to do. I am pretty sure that the regular punters would just button up and go home once they were finished. I doubt there was any romantic walking back somewhere arm and arm...not there...not then. Still, this would require perfect luck and perhaps explains why there weren't more frequent murders. The situation would have had to allowed for a sexual act, a dark hiding place, and the departure of the John, leaving the woman in isolation. This is of course just a cursory look at this concept.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

Hi GM,

And of course it needn't have happened like that every time. But when unfortunates are involved, or at least women who gave the appearance of being willing to earn a few pence from any passing stranger, who knows how many innocent men engaged with them in one sense or another (hoping for a sexual encounter, or just some conversation, or even to be abusive) in the hours, minutes and seconds before it was their killer's turn?

By all accounts these women were not out to "keep themselves to themselves".

Love,

Caz
                X

Comment

Jack the Lurker

Hello All –
                  The fact is, the punters were up to no good themselves and wouldn’t want to be disturbed or observed. I doubt that any of them would want to do the deed in front of an audience, so two people (the client and the victim) would each have to miss noticing Jack the Lurker. Eddowes was said to be found lying in the darkest corner of Mitre Square, so a lurker would have to be hiding in the next-to-the-darkest spot.

In the Hanbury Street case, a lurker would have to be present in the yard before the victim and client entered the yard (unlikely) or the lurker would have to pass the punter in the passageway in order to get to the victim. The Jack the Lurker idea may have some merit, but it raises other problems/questions. Talk about superhuman powers of invisibility …

On the other hand, it is quite possible that a John would not come forward no matter what he saw. He would have to “out” himself if he became a witness. Then, there is the observations of the medicos that no 'connexion' had occurred.

The lurker notion may fit some of the murders, but is highly improbable in a couple of them.

Edward

Comment

Hi Edward,

I wasn't suggesting Jack the Lurker followed Chapman and a customer through to the backyard, merely that he could have seen her talking to a man (eg the couple Mrs Long saw) out on Hanbury St, that man could have carried on his way, then Jack could have engaged with her when nobody else was around and enticed her to the backyard.

All I'm really saying is that when Jack was on the prowl for a prospective victim, she wouldn't necessarily have been on her own when he first saw her. This could have been to his advantage if there were other witnesses around, who would naturally suspect whoever she was talking to when they heard she had been murdered. All he had to do was wait for everyone else to depart before making his own move. If it didn't work out, it would be on to the next opportunity.

I'm not sure that no signs of sexual activity is that relevant. Sex wouldn't have taken place in front of witnesses, as you say, but any of the victims could simply have been chatting, or trying to ply their trade without success, or even being mistreated when Jack first saw them.

In any case, I suspect many sexual encounters consisted of a simple hand job, which need not have left any evidence on the woman.

Love,

Caz
                    X

Comment

Taking a cue from Frankie Goes to Hollywood..

Comment

Lurker

Hi Caz-

I wasn't trying to imply or infer anything. Just my random thoughts. No offense intended.

Edward

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                          Hello All –
                          The fact is, the punters were up to no good themselves and wouldn’t want to be disturbed or observed. I doubt that any of them would want to do the deed in front of an audience, so two people (the client and the victim) would each have to miss noticing Jack the Lurker. Eddowes was said to be found lying in the darkest corner of Mitre Square, so a lurker would have to be hiding in the next-to-the-darkest spot.

In the Hanbury Street case, a lurker would have to be present in the yard before the victim and client entered the yard (unlikely) or the lurker would have to pass the punter in the passageway in order to get to the victim. The Jack the Lurker idea may have some merit, but it raises other problems/questions. Talk about superhuman powers of invisibility …

On the other hand, it is quite possible that a John would not come forward no matter what he saw. He would have to “out” himself if he became a witness. Then, there is the observations of the medicos that no 'connexion' had occurred.

The lurker notion may fit some of the murders, but is highly improbable in a couple of them.

Edward
                          A very valid point dear sir our killer did not have superhuman powers it is quite possible he was seen by somebody or even disturbed in the middle of his gruesome work by somebody who was up to no good themselves and didn't come foward.
                          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                            Hi Caz-

I wasn't trying to imply or infer anything. Just my random thoughts. No offense intended.

Edward
                            And certainly none taken, Edward. Apologies if I gave that impression. I was merely clarifying my own thoughts.

Love,

Caz
                            X

Comment

Of course if that be the case then they would have been talking which would have been heard in the square. Would the killer have risked carrying out the murder with known persons in close proximity especially if the door was ajar and a light on perhaps the killer would have been able to see the police man if that had been the case.

Two sides to every argument !
                              Trevor, how do we know (a) that they would have been talking and (b) that, if they were, they would definitely have been heard at the far side of Mitre Square?
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Lawende was able to identify Eddowes by her clothing, including her bonnet.

Neither Chapman nor Kelly was wearing a bonnet.

Watkins arrived in Mitre Square at 1.30 a.m. and checked its exits.

If he left Mitre Square at 1.32 a.m., then if the woman seen by Lawende was not Eddowes, and had been chatting with the man for a couple of minutes, then Eddowes and the murderer would have had to enter the square at about the same time that the other couple were chatting in Church Passage, and had they entered via Church Passage, then there would have been two couples in Church Passage at the same time, and that raises the possibility that Lawende would have seen two couples.

The fact that the woman had placed her hand on the man's chest suggests that they were not about to split up.

Harvey was in Church Passage at 1.40 and could reasonably have expected to see them there at around 1.38 had they still been there.

If they did conclude a deal, why would the woman have taken the man somewhere other than Mitre Square and in that case, why would she have been soliciting so close to Mitre Square?

Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 11-23-2023, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X