No announcement yet.

The Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, except there is no trace of 'wipes A on apron'. None. If he wiped a knife it doesn't seem to have gotten wiped on that lovely handy piece of linen.

Comment

Originally posted by Chava View Post
      Yes, except there is no trace of 'wipes A on apron'. None. If he wiped a knife it doesn't seem to have gotten wiped on that lovely handy piece of linen.
      If he squeezed it between his fingers, and wiped it vertically, there'd be an oval ring, not a blade-shaped blur. Put some red food coloring in corn syrup, put it on a knife, then wipe it the way you'd wipe something thicker, like peanut butter, between your fingers, using a very small piece of fabric.

If he wrapped a kidney up in the rag after, it could obscure a circular wipe mark.

Comment

only . . .

Hello Chava. Thanks.

"And Lynn's suggestion of a leather apron would work except by this time I doubt any whore in London would go with a man wearing one!"

Of course, I referred only to Polly and Annie.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

This is all of course assuming that the Killer did take it ! there was also a great argument put forward that it may have been removed by one of the Met Police who wished to poke a preverbal stick at his City police brothers , whom they allegedly nicknamed (The Juwes ) referring to their Old Jewry HQ. So there is also the possibility that both the Graffito & apron , may well have been an in house joke that blew out of control by the someone in the Met camp .

moonbegger
          And of course , this scenario would also go along way towards explaining Charles Warren's seemingly over eagerness to erase the message .. especially if he had a rough idea of the possible horse play going on between the two forces .

moonbegger

Comment

Originally posted by Chava View Post

Errata, good point about the cardboard scabbard and where he carries it. But I'm not sure how he fixes it to his back. Thread or rope might saw through the cardboard and the knife might drop at an inopportune moment.
            The way I used to do it was to wrap wire or string around the "scabbard" while the knife was in it, and then make a loop at the end of the wire or string. Put the "scabbard" through the loop so it catches on the crossguard, and you have a quick and dirty belt loop.
            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
              There was also a great argument put forward that it may have been removed by one of the Met Police who wished to poke a preverbal stick at his City police brothers , whom they allegedly nicknamed (The Juwes ) referring to their Old Jewry HQ.

moonbegger
              Hi MB,

It's an interesting idea but, so far as I'm aware there is only one source for this claim and it is in a book whose author has since admitted to researching the wrong Joseph Barnett. It's not a bad book in other respects (certainly not as bad as some I've read) but I wouldn't discount the possibility that the author himself was on the wrong end of a police wind-up.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Men did carry black leather bags...

"...He flourished his arms about and exhibited a black leather bag, about which he made some remarks. He caught hold of several females, and caused considerable alarm. The officers, after much difficulty, got the prisoner to the station, being followed by an excited mob. At the station the bag carried by the accused was searched, and in it were found two pairs of scissors, a dagger and sheath, and a life preserver."

Why reinvent the wheel?

(P.S. a "life preserver" is a small cosh)

Men did carry knives in their leather bags, the above is only one example.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  Men did carry black leather bags...

"...He flourished his arms about and exhibited a black leather bag, about which he made some remarks. He caught hold of several females, and caused considerable alarm. The officers, after much difficulty, got the prisoner to the station, being followed by an excited mob. At the station the bag carried by the accused was searched, and in it were found two pairs of scissors, a dagger and sheath, and a life preserver."

Why reinvent the wheel?

Men did carry knives in their leather bags, the above is only one example.

I still like to think he had the other kind of life preserver. Way better visual.
                  The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                    Just in case anyone else doesn't know what a "cosh" is...

From Merriam-Webster.com:

Cosh -
                    chiefly British
                    : a weighted weapon similar to a blackjack

Comment

A bag could of been used but I kind of like the sleeve idear you can have a fair sized knife there and it wont be noticed and a leather sheath boiled in wax or tallo will be stiff and not rot Iv done this for the knifes that I have made ,and I do wonder did he use butchers paper for the organs?
                      One more thing with the sleeve idear you can use a normal belt sheath and no matter what you wear be it jacket of heavy coat you can get to the knife very easy.
                      Last edited by PC Fitzroy-Toye; 01-31-2014, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X