Catherines Ear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catherines Ear!

Ive started this off for Monty and Cap n Jack to discuss the particulars of her ear and when it came off etc etc

Take it away lads!

Very kind, I've always wanted a night nurse.
    So the body is picked up, placed on a cart, dragged through the Whitechapel streets, taken to an old shed, taken off the cart, put on a table, undressed and then the ear decides to fall off?

Comment

Im not qualified for a few years ;-)

I dont know enough to comment other than what Ive read in Dr Browns report, but Im sure Monty will soon!

Comment

Don't hold your breathe, night nurse.

Comment

LOL, I would like to hear both sides though...

Comment

"NNN's of the LVP"

Sarah, I didn't it want it to be me who made the first "Night Nurse" joke...

But I do think you're lucky that AP was such a gent & and let you off so easy- no snide references to
            "Naughty Night Nurses of the LVP"

(Oops. )

Good idea to start this thread. I'm all ears.

Your pal, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
              So the body is picked up, placed on a cart, dragged through the Whitechapel streets, taken to an old shed, taken off the cart, put on a table, undressed and then the ear decides to fall off?

Almost AP, almost.

....and you can breathe now Sarah.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

(Exhales at last) Thank you Monty...

Archaic, are you giving my future professional colleagues a bad name??!!!!

Comment

The Modern Nurse

Originally posted by Nurse Sarah View Post
                  Archaic, are you giving my future professional colleagues a bad name??!!!!
                  Heck, NO, Sarah!
                  Don't you know that the 'naughty night-nurses' only existed in the days of black & white sexsploitation late-night B movies?

They are all extinct now.

Modern night nurses are all the drop-dead-gorgeous-I-coulda-been-a-model, highly-educated-but-still-sassy professional type like on ER, right?

Over on the Gill thread, I posted a link to an 1885 "Tales of Yorkshire" book I think you'll like. Murders, witches, highwaymen, etc; you can download entire book.

Here, I'll make up for teasing you:

> ANNOUNCEMENT: The next member who makes a 'nurse' joke gets Bedpan Duty- 1888 Style.

There, Sarah, that oughtta do it! Cheers, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
                    Am I right in thinking this is what your reffering to Jack.

"When the body arrived at Golden Lane, some of the blood was dispersed through the removal of the body to the mortuary. The clothes were taken off carefully from the body. A piece of deceased's ear dropped from the clothing. "

---------------------------------------

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    Almost AP, almost.

Monty
                    And is this is what your reffering to Monty?

"The lobe and auricle of the right ear were cut obliquely through."

Would it be right to presume from the Autpopsy report that the peice of ear that fell originated from the right ear, only because the left ear is not mentioned.?

Comment

The Ear Apparent

Hi, Silver. The Catherine Eddowes autopsy photo (the one that shows her full-length, with her hair tacked to the wall) gives a very good view of her left ear, and from what I can tell it looks completely intact.

I wonder if the right ear was not quite 100% severed by the killer & then became detached during the handling of the corpse, OR if it had been completely severed but the killer had deliberately stuck it someplace weird, like inside her dress or maybe inserted into another wound, and then it fell out?

Regards, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                        Hi, Silver. The Catherine Eddowes autopsy photo (the one that shows her full-length, with her hair tacked to the wall) gives a very good view of her left ear, and from what I can tell it looks completely intact.

I wonder if the right ear was not quite 100% severed by the killer & then became detached during the handling of the corpse, OR if it had been completely severed but the killer had deliberately stuck it someplace weird, like inside her dress or maybe inserted into another wound, and then it fell out?

Regards, Archaic
                        Mark, Archaic,

If the ear was seperated at the SOC the experienced Brown would have noted it.

He doesnt, he says it was cut obiquely through, not severed completely off.

Therefore, as I mentioned, it became detached at some stage between the SOC and the mortuary.

Its fairly straightforward yet thats not enough for some.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          Mark, Archaic,

If the ear was seperated at the SOC the experienced Brown would have noted it.

He doesnt, he says it was cut obiquely through, not severed completely off.

Therefore, as I mentioned, it became detached at some stage between the SOC and the mortuary.

Its fairly straightforward yet thats not enough for some.

Monty
                          What I was trying to say is, are you both right?

He does not mention how big the peice of ear was that fell and so could have been quite small, that small it was not noted as missing due to the cuts and residual blood from the wounds around the ear that was still loosley attached.

Comment

Originally posted by silverstealth View Post
                            He does not mention how big the peice of ear was that fell and so could have been quite small, that small it was not noted as missing due to the cuts and residual blood from the wounds around the ear that was still loosley attached.
                            Despite her facial wounds being documented in minute detail, no wounds are described in the region around Eddowes' ear - there seems not to have been a concerted effort on the murderer's part to have targeted that area specifically. On the contrary, we seem to have a solitary cut that detached the lobe and, with it, a portion of the auricle of unspecified size.

Whether this wound was incidental to one or other of the more extensive facial wounds is debatable - personally, I doubt that it was. On balance, it seems more probable that the killer lopped it off separately; if he did, it was probably just a "lop", and little more. He could easily have removed the ear, indeed both ears, completely had he intended to do so.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Has anyone considered before that the killer's motive in attacking Catherine's ear was to remove and take away an earring?

Comment

Working...
                              X