No announcement yet.

John Richardson sitting on the step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me about the rumor mentioned in "letters from hell" that chapman was served at a public house in spitalfields market around 5am? Sorry if this is an obvious question

Comment

Is that the rumour told to a journalist by one of the bar staff at the Ten Bells pub? A woman resembling Annie's description was seen drinking at the pub at about 5am by a member of staff, who saw a man with a small skull cap poke his head round the door and call her out, though this was never confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
        Is that the rumour told to a journalist by one of the bar staff at the Ten Bells pub? A woman resembling Annie's description was seen drinking at the pub at about 5am by a member of staff, who saw a man with a small skull cap poke his head round the door and call her out, though this was never confirmed.
        Thanks rosella! Interesting connection since Richardson was just getting to work at 5. Not suggesting anything I'm not sure exactly how close the ten bells is to the market where richardson worked
        Last edited by RockySullivan; 02-23-2015, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I don't think pubs were able to sell alcohol at 5am

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
            Cool ginger pretty neat! Mrs richardson said many tenants in the building worked at spitalfields market and left very early in the morning. The cellar was john richardsons workshop alrhought I'm not sure what he worked on down there? It seems like richardson would be able to kill out there in the backyard safely knowing the activity of the tenants very well and having reason to be there
            You don't kill in your own back yard !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
              You don't kill in your own back yard !!!!

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
              But you might in mother's!

Comment

I thought that certain pubs near to large markets were and are given certain concessions so market traders and porters up very early in the morning could get a drink. I'm almost certain this still happens today. The Ten Bells was/is opposite Spitalfields market.

Comment

Exactly..

I thought that certain pubs near to large markets were and are given certain concessions so market traders and porters up very early in the morning could get a drink. I'm almost certain this still happens today. The Ten Bells was/is opposite Spitalfields market.
                  That's exactly right Rosella.

In fact, the drink 'stout' used to be called 'stout porter' due to it's popularity as a breakfast tipple for street and river porters.

Amanda

Comment

So would the ripper have been on the steps while cutting annie? Richardson had his feet on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                      That's exactly right Rosella.

In fact, the drink 'stout' used to be called 'stout porter' due to it's popularity as a breakfast tipple for street and river porters.

Amanda
                      Minor correction but I recall it being "porter stout" but no memory of it ever being "stout porter".
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                        Cool ginger pretty neat! Mrs richardson said many tenants in the building worked at spitalfields market and left very early in the morning. The cellar was john richardsons workshop alrhought I'm not sure what he worked on down there? It seems like richardson would be able to kill out there in the backyard safely knowing the activity of the tenants very well and having reason to be there
                        The cellar was Mrs Richardson's workshop. She and her husband had been box makers and she carried on his work after her husband's death. John Richardson only helped out in the business when he could. He would just check the locks to the cellar door in the morning. Amelia Richardson also had an assistant called Tyler.

Comment

GUT,

It's Stout porter. It's porter and actually stout is a shortened name of stout porter. In reality, there is no 'stout' but only 'porter' with 'stout' being the adjective.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

Interesting you say that, and I admit my memory is perhaps wrong, but here is an interesting article on the difference between stout and porter.

G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              Interesting you say that, and I admit my memory is perhaps wrong, but here is an interesting article on the difference between stout and porter.

http://www.beerconnoisseur.com/porter-versus-stout
                              Gut,

Now there's a difference, but I'm talking about originally and the conventions are different these days . Orginally it was all porter. I home-brewed for a long time, so I studied the history at some point though it may be hazy.

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

Mmm...

Hi Gut,
                                Definitely stout porter originally, you must be too young to remember..

The name was changed to just 'stout' in the 1860's.
                                When I took my licensee's exam, there was a section about children drinking in restaurants & it actually refers to 'porter' being one of the acceptable drinks for children to have if they're eating in a pub's restaurant area.
                                Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                X