New Pic of Tumblety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This bit of testimony:

"Mr. Charles Carr, living at 20, Chichester-road, father of the prisoner, corroborated his son’s statement as regards the gentleman. Witness produced a pamphlet, written by a Dr. Tumblety, M.D., recounting some stirring adventures that he had been mixed up in. The front of the pamphlet bore a portrait of Dr. Tumblety, dressed in the uniform of a Prussian officer. Witness said that this man was the person who had decoyed his son away."
    (The Times, 1 December, 1873.)

would seem to support the identification of the photo, published on the cover of his 1871 book, as that of Tumblety.

Wolf.

Comment

Uniform

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
      This bit of testimony:

"Mr. Charles Carr, living at 20, Chichester-road, father of the prisoner, corroborated his son’s statement as regards the gentleman. Witness produced a pamphlet, written by a Dr. Tumblety, M.D., recounting some stirring adventures that he had been mixed up in. The front of the pamphlet bore a portrait of Dr. Tumblety, dressed in the uniform of a Prussian officer. Witness said that this man was the person who had decoyed his son away."
      (The Times, 1 December, 1873.)

would seem to support the identification of the photo, published on the cover of his 1871 book, as that of Tumblety.

Wolf.
      My mistake, thanks for clearing that up, Wolf!
      Last edited by YankeeSergeant; 03-09-2011, 12:54 AM. Reason: spacing
      Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

No problem. I actually wondered the same thing when I first saw the photo. It doesn't look like a man around the age of forty to me but then some of us don't look our age.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
          Well, in any case; too striking to be JtR!

All the best
          Jukka
          But perfect for '80s Motley Crüe !
          Managing Editor
          Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by sbanker31 View Post
            I'm adding a few Cemetery pictures from Dr.Tumblety's gravesite.I live in Rochester,NY and the Cemetery is only 10 minutes away from my house.
            Anyway to find out who pays for the upkeep?
            Managing Editor
            Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
              Anyway to find out who pays for the upkeep?
              Normally you can just ask the keeper, or the office that keeps a record of all the concessions, unless it was originally taken as "in perpetuity", then you'll get the name of the person who signed for it when he was burried.

Comment

The Holy Sepulchre Cemetary takes care of it (http://www.holysepulchre.org/) I was there November 2009 and you could tell the entire area was taken care of by a single caretaker.

They state on their website: "Purchasing a burial space in a cemetery is not like the traditional “ownership” associated with purchasing a piece of land. Ownership of burial space indicates that you have perpetual use of that space for the purpose of the burial of human remains only. The title to all cemetery land remains in the name of the cemetery."

Sincerely,

Mike
                The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

They continue and state this:

"...With nearly 300,000 burials at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, maintaining the beautiful grounds is a top priority for our staff. Our policies have been created to ensure that the beauty of our garden cemetery remains intact for many years to come, and that decorations do not infringe upon the space of neighboring plots, crypts and niches.

Please be aware that lot holders own the right of burial to space in a cemetery while the ownership and responsibility for the general upkeep of the property remains with the Cemetery. Holy Sepulchre takes pride in the appearance and beauty of the grounds and therefore respectfully asks the cooperation of lot holders in abiding with a few simple rules to enhance a sense of order for the mutual benefit of all."

Comment

Sorry if this has been shown before but I couldn't find it on this site anywhere. It's from The Wichita Eagle January 2, 1889.

(This is my first attachment attempt so I hope it works...)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi DRoy,

This drawing of Tumblety is part of a drawing showing additional detail with him walking his dogs. It's great that you put it on this thread, though. I like this image of Tumblety, because his facial features are close to the only photograph we have of him.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

I saw that picture as well. I wasn't sure if it was an attempt by the artist to "copy" the one you mentioned. I'm assuming this would have been copied from the other. However, there is more detail in this one. Comparing the eyes and nose especially...quite different features.

Thanks
                        DRoy
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi DRoy,

Isn't it interesting how that occurred, and you can see the same on the first page of this thread. I wonder if they were legally required to subtley change things in order to show it was not a copy?

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X