St. Just
    St. Macarius & Julian
    St. Merewenna
    St. Michael My
    St. Murtagh
    St. Porcarius
    Bl. Karl Leisner
    Bl. Isidore Bakanja

What this proves is that not only is the post correct with regards to the JTR victims being killed on saints' days, but it also proves that anyone ever murdered anywhere in the world must have been done so for religious reasons. Great work! Oh, and I didn't list Orthodox saints.

Mike
    And how many of these saints were Patron saints. Oh ye of little faith.
    Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
      As Richard's list has both Orthodox and Catholic saints, it's a big ole load of hooey. Someone who was a religious "fanatic" wouldn't pick his "saint day" from the wrong religion and randomly stick in an Orthodox like Theodor if he were a Catholic fanatic, and he wouldn't pick the majority of Saint Days on the Catholic spectrum if he were an Orthodox fanatic.

Just idiotic. Because religious fanatics... they are obsessed with their saints, unless they need to kill someone really bad so they'll just adopt another religion's saint for the purpose.
      Hmm. Well you seem so intelligent I guess you must be righ... hang on a sec.

Roman martyr, considered to be virtually identical with St. Theodore Stratelates. According to custom, he was a recruit (tiro) in the Roman army at Pontus, on the Black Sea. After refusing to participate in a pagan ceremony, he was brought before the tribune of the legion and the governor of the ...
      Author of

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
        There's only a .000000000003 percent chance that anyone will take anything said on this theory seriously.
        Anything? You said it. What a wonderful paradox you present.
        Author of

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Patterson View Post
          You might never buy it - it's priceless.
          Priceless, worthless. Tomaytos, tomahtos.

So now we're established that Abberline didn't actually suspect midwives, can you show any other police who did?

What actually is priceless is when theorists post their 'precious' on a public forum for commentary, and then get a sore arse when people don't comment the way they'd like, and start sneering and calling them "ignorant".
          Last edited by Ausgirl; 02-23-2015, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Bye for now.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback. Everyone was so kind. So many smart people here. It's really made me think hard about my premise. Here's what I've concluded.

There is only a 0.000003 chance that the Whitechapel murderer was not a religious fanatic. In Catholicism, occupations are protected by patron saints that are venerated in different days of the year. The days for the worshiped saints of butchers, soldiers, midwives, and doctors, fell upon dates of the Ripper's murders. Because these occupations used knives and needed anatomical skill the police suspected, questioned and detained them. A religious fanatic could have chosen to kill on these dates in the belief that he was fulfilling some kind of divine mission. In a year with 15 venerated days matching these occupations, there is a 1 in 24 chance that any date would fall on these saint days. The chance that four dates in a row would fall on one of these saint days is 1 in 344,861*. If it were a one in a hundred chance it would be significant, let alone in the hundreds of thousands. This is the only real lead we have had in the past 127 years. Until they can be discounted, all suspects that showed signs of religious fervor should be investigated. That the killer was a crazed religionist, targeting prostitutes, is an idea is as old as the crimes themselves and an opinion that was held by the bulk of the population. Of the 500 known suspects, the only one that is credible and fits this description is the one I have brought forwards. This is the failed priest, with surgical skill, Francis Thompson.

*This is a rough figure. (365/15)*(364/15)*(363/15)*(362/15) It does not take into account other compounding factors, such as the events occurring either on a weekends or bank holidays or that some dates have the same saint.

I'll leave this conversation to everyone else now. Take care and have a good day.
            Author of

Comment

Anything? You said it. What a wonderful paradox you present.
              I guess you didn't bother to read to the end of that paragraph where it said:

"Nevertheless, he was greatly venerated in the Eastern Church as one of the three "Soldier Saints," with George and Demetrios. "

The Eastern church is not the Roman Catholic Church.

Let all Oz be agreed;
              I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Eastern and Western Christianity

The offshoots of Western Christianity (Roman Catholicism) and of Eastern Christianity (several branches, including Eastern Catholic Church) do all have their roots in the teachings of Jesus Christ.
                But yes, they're not identical.

I checked out the Saints listing at Catholics Online, looking for a "St. Theodor", as was quoted in an earlier post. Dozens and dozens of Theodores, Theodorics, Theodoras appeared, but no "Theodor". Then I clicked on the link the OP provided to "St. Theodore of Tryo" and realized I had been working off a misspelled name. (Hey, it happens).

The thing to remember here, I think, is not so much whether a Saint is really a Catholic or not, but that Mr. Thompson didn't have an iPad or smartphone and access to the Catholic Online database.

He had, at best, a four volume set of Butler's Lives of the Saints, possibly other books and documents in a seminary library, possibly a Catholic listing (or "calendar of the saints"). How can we be sure the saints' days he is said to have
                chosen to murder on were ACTUALLY listed on his source material?
                I don't think we can, without access to the same materials available in his era.
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

vocative case

Hello Richard.

"Oh ye of little faith."

Umm? Perhaps:

"O ye of little faith."

Vocative, you know.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

In a year with 15 venerated days matching these occupations,
                    But here is the flaw in your reasoning. Why these specific occupations? The answer is because those were the days the murders happened to be committed. But none of them on a day venerating the patron saints of surgeons, social justice, the sick or whatever. You choose soldiers, butchers, doctors and midwives as significant because they match the days of the murders. That's placing the cart before the horse. Why not first decide which patron saints the Ripper might find significant, and then see if the dates match? I can see how a case can be made for butchers, certainly. And to some extent, soldiers. But were he religiously motivated he would surely choose surgeons above doctors, and I have no idea why he should choose midwives. I'm sorry, it doesn't fit.

Comment

Ok, I know this is an old topic and my question might have been answered- I only skimmed the thread but...
                      Why does he use the Julian Calendar feast day for only one, St. Adrian? He doesn't use the Gregorian feast day which he used for the others. St. Adrian's day should be 1 December, not 8 September. Any explanations or theories for that?
                      Last edited by Shaggyrand; 10-31-2015, 06:10 PM.
                      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

^ Didn't fit the theory?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          ^ Didn't fit the theory?
                          Actually, it does. I was writing from memory and the 1 December is the feast day that he shares with his wife, St. Natalia, but he does also have a solo feast days on 4 March and 8 September. Was just about to edit it. Sorry, my bad.

Edit: It won't let me edit pervious post... So I guess I gotta let it stand. My bad.
                          Last edited by Shaggyrand; 10-31-2015, 06:53 PM.
                          I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

So your encyclopaedic knowledge of Saints Days in the RC, Eastern Orthodox and Protestant Churches let you down on this occasion, Shaggy? Don't let this happen again!

I just can't see Jack as the deeply religious type somehow, even if he was a zealot. Poring over Calendars of the Saints in order to synchronise his killings? More likely a few beers at the pub!

Comment

I can't help be reminded of religious groups that predict the day the world will end. When it doesn't happen they say we must have miscalculated. Back to the drawing board.

Methinks this is chasing the wild goose.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                                But here is the flaw in your reasoning. Why these specific occupations? The answer is because those were the days the murders happened to be committed. But none of them on a day venerating the patron saints of surgeons, social justice, the sick or whatever. You choose soldiers, butchers, doctors and midwives as significant because they match the days of the murders. That's placing the cart before the horse. Why not first decide which patron saints the Ripper might find significant, and then see if the dates match? I can see how a case can be made for butchers, certainly. And to some extent, soldiers. But were he religiously motivated he would surely choose surgeons above doctors, and I have no idea why he should choose midwives. I'm sorry, it doesn't fit.
                                Deciding, which patron saints the Ripper might find significant, would depend on the type of Ripper suspect, you care to choose. That would be putting the cart before the horse. I simply saw that the types of occupations the police suspected to be the ripper's , soldiers, butchers, doctors and midwives were those occupations, on the dates of the murders, that were protected.
                                Author of

Comment

Working...
                                X