ST CUTHBERT
    Hampstead
    Female
    Single
    Artist Painting
    Daughter
    London, England

Comment

• Sickert moved into 54 Broadhurst Gardens, South Hampstead, after his marriage in 1885 with a studio too there so it's easy to see how Sickert and Florence Pash would have forged their alliance at least in the 90s with her living in Hampstead. I'm not sure about the 80s.

Comment

• "In the early 1880s Nellie met the artist Walter Sickert. She may have met him through her friendship with his sister, a journalist and lecturer, Helena Swanwick, who was also involved in the women’s suffrage movement and mixed in artistic circles, or perhaps through her own sister Anne who frequently visited Sickert’s studio before she married Thomas James Cobden-Sanderson, the Arts and Crafts book binder and printer....

"In 1885 on 10th June Nellie, age 36, married Walter, age 25, at the Marylebone Registry Office. The witnesses were her friends the painter Emily Osborn, and Mary Elizabeth Dunn. Nellie’s address was 10a Cunningham Place Marylebone and Walter’s was 12 Pembroke Gardens Kensington....

"Nellie and Walter returned to London and by the end of December had moved into 54 Broadhurst Gardens, South Hampstead where Walter had his studio on the top floor."

Link to quote: https://www.geni.com/people/Ellen-Me...00021319900884

Comment

• There are so many ways for people to meet. Pash and Sickert were said to have met sometime in 1885 and then gone to music halls and galleries together. Their circle of friends appear to be suffragists, artists, politicians and atheists.

I did find a link between Florence and the relatives of Mary Jane Wilson. Daniel Benmoya-Swaebe (jr) went to school with "J Pash" whom I assume to be Florence's brother Joseph. Daniel and Joseph were both born in 1868, so they're 13 when they're listed as being in the Second Junior Class of 1880. I don't know who H Pash is though. The Swaebes are living in Algate and the Pash in Islington but school does bring people together.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=K_I...swaebe&f=false

Comment

• "H Pash" would be Florence's other brother, Herbert. He was about a year younger than Joseph but evidently still in the same class.

Comment

• In 1881 Florence Pash was living with mother and father Martha and Daniel (a Boot Manfr), at 104 Highbury New Park, Islington East , Dist 4a. She was born in 1863 in Kingsland Road Middlesex...Think this is Hackney.

Comment

• Hi All,

Was Florence Pash related to Arthur Pash, from whose shop in Maidstone John Kelly allegedly purchased a pair of boots?

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Was Florence Pash related to Arthur Pash, from whose shop in Maidstone John Kelly allegedly purchased a pair of boots?
                  Apparently, Simon, although I don't recall having seen a family tree.

I might observe that, even if Florence were related to Arthur, they probably moved in rather different circles. She had exhibitions of her work at the Royal Academy and the Salon de Paris; he displayed boots in a Maidstone shop window.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    Apparently, Simon, although I don't recall having seen a family tree.

I might observe that, even if Florence were related to Arthur, they probably moved in rather different circles. She had exhibitions of her work at the Royal Academy and the Salon de Paris; he displayed boots in a Maidstone shop window.
                    Was she was exhibiting in 1888? I know she was in Chicago in 1893.

Arthur was her first cousin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      In 1881 Florence Pash was living with mother and father Martha and Daniel (a Boot Manfr), at 104 Highbury New Park, Islington East , Dist 4a. She was born in 1863 in Kingsland Road Middlesex...Think this is Hackney.
                      Thanks, Paddy. I read that Pash and Sickert met in 85 at an open home exhibit. That would probably be at his home in Pembroke Gardens because he didn’t move into another home with his new wife until December and he made a portrait of Pash that year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trapperologist View Post
                        Was she was exhibiting in 1888
                        I don't think so, but that wasn't my point. She was doubtless increasing her standing as an artist and socialite around 1888. At the same time, the desperately poor could afford to buy boots at Arthur's shop.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• None of which proves she didn't know Mary Jane Kelly. It doesn't prove she did but I think you'd agree that you have to start someplace. You can always make a detour afterward. We don't know that all of Mary's relations were poor and she'd never move in that socialite circle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trapperologist View Post
                            None of which proves she didn't know Mary Jane Kelly. It doesn't prove she did but I think you'd agree that you have to start someplace.
                            The earliest place we can start with any certainty is some 4 years before Kelly's death, when she was knocking about down the Ratcliff Highway and later Stepney, when she was in relationships with "Morganstone" and Joseph Fleming, before hooking up with Joe Barnett and eventually moving to Spitalfields.

This doesn't give much time, or "geographical opportunity" (if I can put it that way) for Florence Pash to get to know Mary Kelly - or whatever her real name was - still less keep track of her.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Yes, Sam, I agree it’s a small timeframe. I give her maybe a year in the West End so part of 1885.

That’s why I think she would have to have relatives that were already in those circles. Mary Jane Wilson I found has relatives who went to school with Florence Pash’s brothers. Although the connection might have to be with Sickert if she met him first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                                [ATTACH]15931[/ATTACH]

Briggs Haulage Co on Rachel Street, Everton Liverpool

Mary Jane Wilson, maiden name Kelly lived in Everton where she married, had children, living in proximity to her siblings and mother, and her in-laws the Wilsons. She drops out of the known record after 1887.

Roy
                                The Liverpool Workhouse records were released in the past year so we have more records of Mary Jane Wilson in 1883 - including a record of desertion by her husband, being found in the street and taken to prison, an arrest for drunkeness, and her daughter being moved from prison to the workhouse.

Comment

Working...
                                X