No announcement yet.

The reputation of Sir William Withey Gull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is similar in some aspects to Rheumatic Fever.
    The various strep that cause these diseases take residence in the small intestine.
    They interfere with amino acids,reducing vitality and sleep.
    Even reduce magnesium uptake causing cramps.
    B12 is reduced,resulting in depression.

There are about a dozen "related" diseases.

Autism is a result of two proteins not being properly digested and crossing out of the gut in a polymorphous form.
    Plus similar to the above.

Gull and Sutton were ahead of their time in many respects.

A lot of this was discovered here in Australia by the Collaborative Pain Research Unit of Newcastle University,NSW 25 years and 3 months ago.

Getting that red thingy again.
    Gotta go.
    Last edited by DJA; 10-20-2019, 09:31 AM.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

There’s not a shred that even remotely connects Gull to Jekyll apart from generalities. They were Doctors and so had letters after their names. They both had considerable wealth. Jekyll was taller than Hyde as Gull was taller that Sutton?! On what planet can this justify saying that Jekyll and Hyde were obviously based on Gull and Sutton?
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I'm taking a holiday.

See you all later.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
          If posters are interested in making intelligent,constructive comments,I'd advise they read the novella twice.

It is set,for the most part circa 1868. Three years after Sutton took on the duties of Vestry Medical Officer for Shoreditch,St Leonard.
          It ends after June,1885.
          The events of The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde take place over the course of a bit more than a year. The year is not mentioned at any point. The novella ends in March, not June. And the novella saw print in 1886, so it clearly had nothing to do with the Ripper murders.
          "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            There’s not a shred that even remotely connects Gull to Jekyll apart from generalities.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	51tDKJ9SB%2BL._SX435_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	725593

RLS was the George Orwell of the 19th Century.

Comment

Dr Jekyll and Gull's credentials are MD,DCL,LLD,FRS,etc.
              Historically those are the credentials of one man and one man only. At least up to 1889.

Gull was a dual LL.D.

I defy anyone to find another match.

Back to my holiday

Comment

Historically those are the credentials of one man and one man only. At least up to 1889.
                Henry Wentworth Dyke Acland (1815-1900) - BA Oxon(1840) BM MA DM Hon MD Dubl Hon LLD Cantab Edin Hon DCL Durh FRCP(1850) FRS

Byrom Bramwell (1847-1931) - MD Edin Hon LLD Edin Birm St And Hon DCL Durh FRCP Edin FRCP(1923) FRS Edin

George Burrows (1801-87) - Bart BA Cantab(1825) MB(1826) MD Hon LLD Hon DCL Oxon FRCP(1832) FRS

William Withey Gull (1816-90) -MD Lond Hon DCL Oxon Hon LLD Cantab Edin FRCP(1848) FRS(1869)

William Jenner (1815-98) - GCB(1889) KCB(1844) MD Lond(1844)Hon DCL Oxon Hon LLD Cantab Edin MRCS LSA FRCP(1852) FRS(1864)

William Osler (1849-1919) - BART MD McGill Oxon Hon MD Christiania Hon DSc Oxon Cantab Dubl Leeds Liverp Hon LLD McGill Toronto Aberd Edin Yale Harvard Johns Hopkins Hon DCL Durh and Trinity Toronto FRCP(1883) FRS

George Edward Paget (1809-92) - BA Cantab(1831) MB(1833) MD Hon MD Dubl Hon DCL Oxon Hon LLD Edin FRCP(1839) FRS Hon FRCPI

Oliver Thomas (1853-1942) - MB CM Glasg(1874) MD Hon LLD Glasg MA Hon DCL Durh Hon DSc Sheff Danzig FRS Edin FRCP(1890) DL JP

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

Henry Wentworth Dyke Acland (1815-1900) - BA Oxon(1840) BM MA DM Hon MD Dubl Hon LLD Cantab Edin Hon DCL Durh FRCP(1850) FRS

Byrom Bramwell (1847-1931) - MD Edin Hon LLD Edin Birm St And Hon DCL Durh FRCP Edin FRCP(1923) FRS Edin

George Burrows (1801-87) - Bart BA Cantab(1825) MB(1826) MD Hon LLD Hon DCL Oxon FRCP(1832) FRS

William Withey Gull (1816-90) -MD Lond Hon DCL Oxon Hon LLD Cantab Edin FRCP(1848) FRS(1869)

William Jenner (1815-98) - GCB(1889) KCB(1844) MD Lond(1844)Hon DCL Oxon Hon LLD Cantab Edin MRCS LSA FRCP(1852) FRS(1864)

William Osler (1849-1919) - BART MD McGill Oxon Hon MD Christiania Hon DSc Oxon Cantab Dubl Leeds Liverp Hon LLD McGill Toronto Aberd Edin Yale Harvard Johns Hopkins Hon DCL Durh and Trinity Toronto FRCP(1883) FRS

George Edward Paget (1809-92) - BA Cantab(1831) MB(1833) MD Hon MD Dubl Hon DCL Oxon Hon LLD Edin FRCP(1839) FRS Hon FRCPI

Oliver Thomas (1853-1942) - MB CM Glasg(1874) MD Hon LLD Glasg MA Hon DCL Durh Hon DSc Sheff Danzig FRS Edin FRCP(1890) DL JP
                  Good legwork, what we need to know is how many had these accreditations at the time of Stephenson being published? Given that they all should have been practicing at the time.
                  Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Well, now I know who(m) my Hospital is named after. And he's got more than a double LLD. Doctor of Laws?

Comment

George Edward Paget (1809-92) - BA Cantab(1831) MB(1833) MD Hon MD Dubl Hon DCL Oxon Hon LLD Edin FRCP(1839) FRS Hon FRCP.

Excellent Fiver. Well done.
                      Next time,I'll check the Munks Roll 'cause it has made a monkey of me
                      At least I gave up smoking

Narrowed it down to four for reasons you'd likely understand.

Gull had Jenner, Paget and Burrows for company regarding Goulstonian Lectures.
                      (Also Richard Bright ..... for,guess which topic?)

Acland's son,Theodore married Gull's daughter, as we all know.

Comment

In the West Country, they say the human species consists of men, women and Aclands!

Henry served as the family doctor of EHV growing up.
                        This previously unknown collection of letters lets us experience colonial British Columbia through the eyes of a young British naval officer who spent three years on Vancouver Island commanding a Royal Navy gunboat during the Cariboo gold rush. A keen observer of life in the new world, Edmund Hope Verney corresponded on a regular basis with his father, a prominent British MP. In his letters, which are filled with lively narration and description, candid commentary, and fascinating personal detail, he talks about having 'the opportunity to observe a colony in [its first] stage of existence' and to 'watch the development of a community.'

Comment

Dr Jekyll and Gull's credentials are MD,DCL,LLD,FRS,etc.
                          Gull's worth in 1888 was L 344,000 against Jekyll's quarter of a million.

Jekyll's protege has the key to the front door and free access to the old dissecting room,yet usually comes and goes via the laboratory.
                          Might imply he lives next door.

Relative sizes of J & H are much like G & S.
                          I think RLS had in mind someone who was leading a double-life, one person not literally two. It was supposedly based on a French teacher friend of his and on a nightmare he had.

However Hannibal Lecter was based on a real doctor from Mexico who was already in jail, so I'm not ruining his reputation. That's one doctor with a double life.

Comment

Originally posted by trapperologist View Post
                            i think rls had in mind avoiding a libel case.
                            fify

Comment

Thanks DJA, for putting those words in my mouth. I should try that sometime. Then you'll agree with me.

BTW, Doctors have lots of patients so the odds of having a Mary Kelly or variation as a patient are pretty good. How many hundreds or thousands of women patients did he have in a year? The City Missionary (we worked together to find) only "rescued" a limited number of women (about 80 in four years to 89). One he said was Mary Jane Kelly's "friend". That's where I found my link and the clue to his identity after the find rather than working from the chosen "suspect" to the "victim" with a similar name and similar age bracket.

Comment

Reckon Mary Ann Kelly would have avoided Sutton for the last twenty years of her life.

Not so the other C4. In fact they could have met at the London Hospital. I'm sure Nichols and Eddowes/Conway did as his inpatients.

Bueno.

Comment

Working...
                                X