No announcement yet.

Stephenson and family Chronology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barmston Street, the first junction is Cumberland Street, the second is Oxford Street and the road at the end is York Street. Taken in 1933 and showing the properties at the end which would have been Willows Terrace, built on the spot of Willows House!

The mill seen towering over the back is The Albion Oil Mill which was situated on Church Street opposite Willows House.
    Attached Files
    Regards Mike

Comment

• Barmston Street again, 1933, but closer to Oxford Street. Again we see York Street a little clearer at the bottom of the street which was the location for Willows Terrace, built on what was Willows House.

If we were to turn around 180 degrees we would see Barmston Bridge, possible location for Stephenson's "Dead or Alive" story.
      Attached Files
      Regards Mike

Comment

• Charles Street- East Side looking South about 1935.
        Attached Files
        Regards Mike

Comment

• Charles Street - West Side looking South. The first building is number 19 Charles Street. The picture was taken in the late 1930's!
          Attached Files
          Regards Mike

Comment

• Whitefriargate - from the top looking down the street. Customs House was on the right hand side about halfway down. Frederick Bailey Deeming also defrauded the Jewellery store "Reynoldson's" along the same side. This dates from 1914.
            Attached Files
            Regards Mike

Comment

• Whitefriargate - The second shot is from the Street looking out towards the City Centre and West Hull. The second shot dates from 1904.

Note the location of "The Eastern Morning News" on the right of the picture. The newspaper published during the Whitechapel crimes and was a popular newspaper in the city.
              Attached Files
              Regards Mike

Comment

• Yesterday was the Hull Heritage open day and I once again visited the Custom's House. For full photo's visit here,
                Regards Mike

Comment

• This morning I was lucky enough to gain access to a private collection. The owner had been in touch and informed me they had a large collection of old documents, maps and photo's on Sculcoates.

Among the collection was several rare books on Sculcoates.
                  Several books on Wincolmlee aka Church Street.
                  Several books on Mills and Milling.
                  Several University papers on Mills and Milling.

Whilst I found out a lot about Church street and several references to the Stephenson family, and Union Mill, there was no data on Willows House.

Nor were there any photo's of the Stephenson's!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Mike
                    Just to say a big thanks for all the amazing info you have posted on this thread
                    Regards
                    Chris

Comment

• Thanks Chris, it's only a small slice, but will help other Stephenson researchers find their feet.
                      Regards Mike

Comment

• It seem's hard work, bad spelling and faulty research does pay off!!

Today I recieved several files on the Dawber family, which was Robert D'Onston Stephenson's mother's side of the family.

Several of the files cover a court case where a staggering £1,080 was paid to the Dawber family!!

Another file ahs a collection of legal papers and shows that one of the Dawber family left a will with a total monetery value of £10,002!!! This was to be given to Robert D'Onston Stephenson's Grandmother!!

I have to look into the files, and I have arranged several trips to both Archives and Local Studies to check the newspapers and magistrates papers to ascertain what the money was for etc, but I will report the findings as soon as possible!!
                        Regards Mike

Comment

• My excitement got the better of me today when I was shown a set of Goads Fire Insurance plans for "Union Mill"

Tha plans are quite old, and several attachments where included on the sheet, where additions had been added through the years.

I will endevour to scan and post later.

I was also granted access to several trade directories which pre-date 1840 and fill in a few gaps.

Entries featured Richard Stephenson Senior, and a property he had owned for some years, his sister in the property after he moved out and his mother living in the property prior to Richard being listed in there.
                          This is important for several reasons but the main being that Richard Stephenson's mother has been difficult to trace.

Other entries included the Dawber family and their business, and an earlier than expected entry for the Stephenson's on Church Street!

I will be working through everything and posting later.
                          Regards Mike

Comment

• Here it is folks,

The image is only small, but by clicking on it, you can blow it up!!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

• Today I am visiting the only Hull Cemetery which I have never visited before, in search of Richard Stephenson's grave.

To date we have,
                              His Death Certificate,
                              His Last Will and Testement,
                              His Obituary in the Hull press,

But no grave!

A search was made of the HUll Burial Records at the Hull City Archives, but these proved inconlcusive.
                              A further search was made of the local history grave transcription records, but again, these proved inconclusive.
                              Rumours circulated in Hull that some of the graves where destroyed to be used pre war to provide a solid bed of hardcore for the local roads!!
                              Regards Mike

Comment

• Bridlington Photo's!!

Here is the photo album from the recent trip to Bridlington researching Robert D'Onston Stephenson and family.

I managed to visit the Local Studies Library and made some finds regarding events in 1868, alongside more information on the Stephenson and Dawber families. I am transcribing everything at the moment, and all finds will be posted on my blogg.

The highlight of the day was visiting the Black Lion Public House, and having a free drink whilst staff and locals looked through my research!
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X