Stephenson and family Chronology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
    Luckily there was some large scale maps available showing the grounds of Sunny side House!
    ...bloody hell, Mike! Those are the biggest cabbages I've ever seen!
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Right here it is in all its technicolour glory, ladies and gentleman, Linnaeus House!
      Attached Files
      Regards Mike

Comment

And finally another pic of the building from outside the gates.
        Attached Files
        Regards Mike

Comment

Mike's asked me to repost these photos of Burdett Road, Mile End.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Burdett%20Road.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	652955

Name:	Burdett%20Road%20by%20Baggally%20Street%201906.jpg
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	652956

Name:	Burdett%20Road%20by%20Pixley%20Street%20c1908.jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	652957

Name:	Burdett%20Road%20c1909.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	652958

Name:	Burdett%20Road%201906.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	652959

Rob

Comment

Thanks

Mike,

Thanks for the Hull images and maps. It made sense of my wanderings I told you about.

Wish I read this thread before I went!

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Like I said Monty, next time you are in the area get in touch and I will take you for the tour!
              Regards Mike

Comment

Bridlington Quay, arial shot.
                Attached Files
                Regards Mike

Comment

North Landing at Flamborough, turn of the century,
                  Attached Files
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Here is a picture showing Princes Dock towards the Dock Offices, to the right of the offices is a row of buildings were Dawber and Son had their Slate and Slate Merchant offices.

This piece of water is now home to a floating shopping centre!
                    Attached Files
                    Regards Mike

Comment

Right, here is a shot taken from the Dock Offices, now home to the Hull Maritime Museum, looking over the former Queen's Dock, now the Queens Gardens, and a during the early 1800's "The Old Dock".
                      William Dawber and Son operated a Slate and Slate Merchant copmay from the buildings which stood on the left of the picture, which have been flattened to make way for new offices, and a Police Station back in the 1950's.
                      Attached Files
                      Regards Mike

Comment

A shot taken from the top of Whitefriargate looking West. The Dock offices are central but the buildings to the far right were once the offices and show rooms for Dawber and Son.They were also used as a fire station, the large arched windows are visible to the extreme right.
                        The bridge was Monument Bridge and has sadly gone, this crossed the junction between The Old Dock, later renamed Queen's Dock and Princess Dock, now Princess Quay.
                        The building with the tall spire was lost in the Blitz
                        Attached Files
                        Regards Mike

Comment

Whilst researching last year I doscovered a magistrates paper which contained info of a case of theft against Richard Stephenson SNR.
                          The paper was about 20 pages long and quite difficult to decipher, so for I while I decided to sit on it, whilst I looked at other stuff.

Whilst at Archives again recently I discovered a previously unseen file on the Dawber family. This file was from magistrates papers and a trial which took place in 1842, against Robert Dawber. It was enormous in its appearance and split into three parts.
                          CQB202/811-813
                          CQB202/814-815
                          CQB202/666-667
                          and consisting of three massive files with about 40 A4 and A3 size double sided papers.

The task of reading it was massive so I checked dates, names, and addresses and managed to obtain a copy to read at my leisure.

With this in mind I decided it was a good idea to check newspapers from the period at the local studies library, a place I visit so often, they allow me access with a key to the printers!!

I checked the 1842 newspapers and didnt find a thing, but decided to check the 1850 for any reports of Richard Stephenson's magistrates appearance,
                          Here is the transcription,

September 13th 1850 The Hull Packet and East Riding Times.

ROBBING AN EMPLOYER
                          Henry Brown was charged with stealing linseed oil foods. The prisoner was in the employment of Mr. Richard Stephenson, seed crusher. On Friday Morning last, at about 6 o’clock, he was seen by a fellow workman to roll a nine cwt. cask about two thirds full of something from his masters mill to his own house, which is situated just around the corner. The man who saw him doing it asked him what he was doing there, and he said he had taken it in for a man whose truck had broken down the previous night, and was going to call for it in the morning. This cask was removed upon a track under the direction of the prisoner to the yard of Mr. Hall, bone boiler, Church Street, who was with the prisoner on Thursday when he told Dean the truckman, that he wanted him to take a cask of fat, next morning from Mr. Stephenson’s to Mr. Hall’s. After this fact was disclosed James Hall was placed at the bar on a charge of being a party to the felony, and the witnesses re-sworn and their evidence taken as against both prisoners. The facts which were disclosed by the subsequent witnesses were, that about 12 o’clock on Friday, Hall sold this cask as whale oil foots to a tallow chandler named Baron, for 12s per cwt. saying he had bought it off Mr. Stephenson’s foreman. Baron, in his turn, about an hour after sold it to a man named Ulliott, foreman to Mr. Binks, oil boiler for 15s per cwt. and it was removed by Dean from Hall’s place to Binks’. The witness Baron said he had often had similar transactions with Mr. Gilchrist, and Martin, Mr. Egginton’s foreman. He usually made a profit similar to that which he made upon this. When Hall sold Baron the oil, he said it was cask scrapings, which had sold to him by Mr. Stephenson’s foreman, who had the privilege of selling it. Mr. Stephenson deposed that he had compared the contents of this cask with the foots in the cistern, and the two corresponded.

When he examined the cistern he found some of it’s contents had been recently taken off.

The stolen oil foots was worth 25s per cwt. A cooper named James Simmons, proved that Hall borrowed the cask in question of him on Thursday, stating that he wanted to put some thick foots in. Hall told Mr. Stephenson on Saturday that he gave Brown 8s per cwt. for the foots. Brown, when called upon for his defence and properly cautioned, said that Hall knew quite well of what quality the foots was, as he saw the bulk in the cistern and said “If you will put some of this in it will be all the better for me” Hall denied all knowledge of the stealing of the oil, and said he had bought it as mere foots, having first asked the prisoner if it was his, and being informed by him that it was, and that Mr. Stephenson wanted to buy it, but had offered nothing like a price, he was going to send a truck for the stuff but Brown said he was not to do so, as it would disturb his master who had been ill in bed. Committed for trial. Bail, two sureties in £50 each, and themselves in £100.

I wasn't sure what "Foots" were so contacted my father who coincidently works at Cargill's Oilseeds in Hull, an Oil Processing plant,
                          Foots, are a sedimentary buildup in the oil, unseen to the naked eye but when disturbed can turn the oil cloudy.
                          A bad sample of oil will contain lots of foots.
                          The foots usually fall through small holes during the process of pressing the oil!!

I will scan and post the actual account shortly.
                          Regards Mike

Comment

September 13th 1850 The Hull Packet and East Riding Times.
                            Attached Files
                            Regards Mike

Comment

So would anyone like to hazard a guess at just what a "Truck" would be in the Victorian Era??

Bearing in mind it is 1850 in the reports,

My thoughts would be,
                              A sack truck,
                              A horse drawn cart,

But how would they "Break down"

Any help appreciated
                              Regards Mike

Comment

It appears that a "Truck" was just another name for a cart and was a phrase used quite commonly among those involved in industry.

Thanks to Gumshoe over on the JTR Forums for the tip
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X