Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by denn034 View Post
    It was a great series.
    Well yes, if you can put up with Michael Caine's tiresome overacting in this particular series. I don't think I've seen Abberline ever being portrayed as close to a shouting, sadistic brute and psychopath as in Caine's portrayal.
    A disaster.

All the best
    The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Hi Glenn

In my oppinion Mitre Square was a kind of cule-de-sac between two police-beats: PC Watkins, examining the square every 15 Minutes and PC Harvey, taking a look into the square on his beat. I think looking at the beats Mitre Square is more frequented and “dangerous” for the killer as all the other murder sites. In addition he was disturbed some minutes before, so he should have been more careful…but he wasn`t.
      That`s why I believe he knew nothing about the beats – he could have been seen in flagranti this night.

In my eyes he was a lucky, not a knowing man. ;-)

Kind regards, Damien

Comment

Two police-beats, yes Damien - but three exits...!

All the best,

Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Damien View Post
          Hi Glenn

In my oppinion Mitre Square was a kind of cule-de-sac between two police-beats: PC Watkins, examining the square every 15 Minutes and PC Harvey, taking a look into the square on his beat. I think looking at the beats Mitre Square is more frequented and “dangerous” for the killer as all the other murder sites. In addition he was disturbed some minutes before, so he should have been more careful…but he wasn`t.
          That`s why I believe he knew nothing about the beats – he could have been seen in flagranti this night.

In my eyes he was a lucky, not a knowing man. ;-)

Kind regards, Damien
          Hi Damien,

I still don't get it.
          It's a very strange reasoning to speculate that he didn't know the area JUST BECAUSE OF the risks he took. That is totally backwards.

Again, the fact that he managed to squeeze in his murder and mutilate his victim between Watkins' two police beats (Harvey belonged to another beat which he focused on and would have reason to look over the square - each patroling officer concentrated on what happened on their own individual beats) does in fact indicate some rough knowledge of the area and the police beats.

I don't believe in luck - maybe once, but not several times under such difficult circumstances.

As I said, the Buck's Row murder is a better example.
          After the murder the killer most likely rounded the Board school (unless he went through Barber's Slaughter Yard) and then took off through the small thoroughfare Wood's Buildings in order to make his escape.
          I would find that to be quite a bit of luck for someone not knowing the area, not only to know about Wood's Buildings but also to know that it led out to Whitechapel Road.

All the best

Comment

Hi

...and all exits lighten up (ok...not like bright sunshine, I know) by a lamp. A fleeting man would have been seen and chased.

I just think Mitre Square was very riscfull (is this the right word?). Thats all. But which murder site was not riscfull?

Kind regards, Damien

Comment

Damien asks:

"which murder site was not riscfull?"

The Kelly murder! May sound preposterous, but I think that the Ripper was working in safer surroundings there than elsewhere, being able to obscure the wiew from the windows and not takin too much of a risk that any late callers would stumble in at that time of night.

The best, Damien!

Fisherman

Comment

Hi

Oh, Fisherman…only two hours here at work in the office and I will be offline the whole weekend. It`s so sad, because I would prefer to discuss this perilous murder-sites-thing.

In my opinion the Ripper didn`t like Millers Court so much. I see some signs of nervousness and frantic afflicted wounds. The Ripper was an “open-air” killer, and I think he didn`t like it very much killing Kelly in a room. I just had the discussion on a German JtR-Board and it was a very interesting and long discussion – so I don`t think I can mess up now with that…
                Damn!

I think, Bucks Row was the best murder-site seeing it with the Rippers eyes.

All the best, Damien

Comment

Hello Glenn

I understand your concerns here but the street lighting would make blood not particularly visible on dark clothes even to a cab driver being hired to take JtR home.

The main streets were more straightforward to navigate than today, there was no Aldgate one-way system for instance.

But I understand that the road you have difficulty with is Commercial Street. I think that JtR used Whitechapel Road to escape from Buck's Row, Whilst he would have used Commercial Street to escape Hanbury Street what would he have been looking for? A cab to take him home? Possibly. But that would not have been a problem, in the unlikely event that the blood was spotted he could have made out that he was a mugging victim. Or, in my view more likely, he could have gone to a local base to change. But he certainly doesn''t show any knowledge of say the maze of streets that existed, pre WW11, for example between Watney's Brewery (now Sainsbury's supermarket) and the Great Eastern Railway.

The escape route for Eddowes is straightforward. And Mitre Square is not really a problem.

Millers Court is just off Bishopsgate or Commercial Street.

I am not suggesting that he had no local knowledge but that it was on a par with the toffs who slummed it down the Rattcliffe Highway

Paula

Comment

Damien writes:

"In my opinion the Ripper didn`t like Millers Court so much."

Currently, Damien, I am thinking that Miller´s Court was the one place where the Ripper could not choose the venue. Moreover, I am not all that sure that he came there to kill ...

All the best,

Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Paula Thomas View Post
                      Hello Glenn

I understand your concerns here but the street lighting would make blood not particularly visible on dark clothes even to a cab driver being hired to take JtR home.

The main streets were more straightforward to navigate than today, there was no Aldgate one-way system for instance.

But I understand that the road you have difficulty with is Commercial Street. I think that JtR used Whitechapel Road to escape from Buck's Row, Whilst he would have used Commercial Street to escape Hanbury Street what would he have been looking for? A cab to take him home? Possibly. But that would not have been a problem, in the unlikely event that the blood was spotted he could have made out that he was a mugging victim. Or, in my view more likely, he could have gone to a local base to change. But he certainly doesn''t show any knowledge of say the maze of streets that existed, pre WW11, for example between Watney's Brewery (now Sainsbury's supermarket) and the Great Eastern Railway.

The escape route for Eddowes is straightforward. And Mitre Square is not really a problem.

Millers Court is just off Bishopsgate or Commercial Street.

I am not suggesting that he had no local knowledge but that it was on a par with the toffs who slummed it down the Rattcliffe Highway

Paula
                      Hello Paula,

Yes I do have a lot of problem with Commercial Street and around the Wentworth Street area. I create a mess out of it every time I'm there and everything seems to lie on the 'wrong' side of the road from what I expect it to.

But again, although some good points I still don't agree with it.
                      I'll say it again. Considering the importance of leaving the crime scenes uncaught and unsess (and that he couldn't afford to take any risks as far as that is concerned) I seriously doubt that anyone without some kind of rough knowledge of the area would be able to work out how to get to Whitechapel Road through Wood's Buildings. For anyone not knowing what Wood's Buildings would be like, it could just as well be a dangerous cul-de-sac, forcing him to run back again the way he came. But apparently he knew that Wood's Buildings led to Whitechapel Road - hardly something that could be expected from someone not knowing the area.
                      The Buck's Row murder perfectly illustrates that some kind of local knowledge would be sufficient.

Also, bear in mind that 'local man' doesn't necessarily imply that he lived in the area (although I think he did) - it could just as well mean someone who once had lived there or been brought up there or someone who had gained knowledge of the area from frequently using the prostitutes there as a customer.

All the best

Comment

• Hi Paula,

I'm with Glenn here. The location of the apron in Goulston Street is rather at odds with your suggestion that "the escape route for Eddowes is straightforward". It really isn't, not if he took the Stoney Lane/New Goulston Street route as he almost certainly did. It involves quite a maze of alleys if you don't know where you're going, even today. It's extremely unlikely that he joined Whitechapel High Street and was then missed by PC Long as he traversed the entire length of Goulston Street. A combination of common sense, historical precedent and professional insight lends considerable weight to the notion of a local or locally-based offender here.

Best regards,
                        Ben

Comment

• Indeed Ben.
                          Good point about Stoney Lane.

All the best

Comment

• Originally posted by denn034 View Post
                            One only has to see the various descriptions of the Ripper to see that he could only have been a hairdresser or actor with access to hair dyes to make him look dark and fair haired. One only has to see the words "Mr. Nobody" on a Ripper telegram to know that Sickert, who's screen name was "Mr. Nobody" during his acting days, must've written one or more of the Ripper letters. Being an actor with quick change, make-up, and hair dying experience would've made it possible for him to be both dark and fair haired. Sickert's focus on hurting women in his drawings and paintings is icing on the cake. All of that combined can only mean that Sickert, the only Ripper suspect that was nicknamed "Mr. Nobody" with the necessary hair dying skills, was Jack the Ripper. One fails to see how it could be otherwise!
                            Are you serious?! Is this the only book you've read on the subject? If so, it's probably the worst place you could possibly start...it proves absolutely nothing. The DNA evidence is laughable at best. You couldn't convict a man in this day and age with that DNA evidence surely...let alone the fact that the amount of letters that the police received didn't all come from one man, and none, in my opinion, came from the ripper. Even if Sickert wrote one letter it doesn't make him a killer.
                            I suppose you'll be drawing on that story that he used to walk around the studio dressed as Jack The Ripper too? So he must be! Well if that's the case, he must surely be Napoleon too! He dressed up like him too, you know?
                            As for the revelation of the missing painting entitled 'Jack The Ripper's Bedroom', well God damn that is further evidence right there!
                            Well based on that evidence I have a new suspect for you. Screaming Lord Sutch, he wrote a song called 'Jack The Ripper', does that make him a suspect too?! Hell, maybe he's Sickert reincarnated?
                            Sorry if this is harsh but there are experts in this thread, not me, who have tried to show your errors and help you see where you've gone wrong and you just won't be shaken.
                            Look, do yourself a favour, go buy a proper book like The Facts by Paul Begg and do yourself some thorough reading on the subject rather than turning people into madmen at your pigheaded belief that this theory holds even a trickle of water...erm...period!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                              I am thinking that Miller´s Court was the one place where the Ripper could not choose the venue. Moreover, I am not all that sure that he came there to kill ...
                              Because...? (Sorry if you've gone into this elsewhere, Fisherman. I'm a newbie and still catching up with the myriad threads! )

Still smirking at stevebaker's reply to denn...goodness, when I think how busy I've been with the hairdye, and how flagrant I've been in some of my stories...you know, there's as much chance that I'm JtR too (and the old muslim lady next door, too, for that matter) Funny post, steve
                              Last edited by claire; 08-10-2008, 08:26 PM.
                              best,

claire

Comment

• Ahhh so that will make you Jill the Ripper?! I'm calling the police The argument for you being the Ripper is probably stronger than the one for Sickert... Let's write a book!!
                                Last edited by stevebaker25; 08-10-2008, 11:36 PM. Reason: more to add

Comment

Working...
                                X