Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Russell
    replied
    I've recently been re-reading Paul Feldman's JtR: The Final Chapter (paperback) and was struck by this on page 341. It is an extract from Illustrated Mirror dated 16th September 1889.

"A gentleman is making the rounds of the publishers, with what he claims to be the diary of Mrs Maybrick. The diary, he says, was found in a trunk after the conviction of Mrs Maybrick...
    "We are not exactly convinced of the genuineness of the document, although so far as we can glean the genuineness of them [sic] is guaranteed. The object of those into whose hands the alleged diary has fallen appears to be to publish a 'shilling shocker'..."

Could this be the inspiration for the Anne Barrett / Billy Graham story of the provenance of what we now call the Maybrick Diary? Also the reason given by AB for giving the diary to her husband: she says she thought he could write a novel around it.

I can't tell from Feldman whether or not the Illustrated Mirror is a Liverpool paper. Anyone know?

Best wishes,
    Steve.

Leave a comment:

• Casebook Wiki Editor
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post

One thing which continues to intrigue me is what [or whom] prompted Scotland Yard to investigate the "Diary" for fraud.

Who was being defrauded, aside from a gullible reading public?
    The Sunday Times turned the results of their "research" effort over to New Scotland Yard, who were then obligated to investigate whether the publisher (Robert Smith) had knowingly peddled a forgery.

It's not clear to me the Sunday Times ever sincerely intended to serialize the Diary, or just wanted to appear ahead of the curve unlike the Hitler Diaries fiasco. They certainly got a good story for cheap.

Leave a comment:

• John Bennett
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulB View Post
    Believe what you want, Trevor. But as you haven't read the books, haven't read the articles, have undertaken any investigations into the diary of your own, probably haven't seen, handled, examined the diary itself, haven't met and questioned any of those involved, weren't with the police when they undertook their fraud investigations, and weren't ever up half the night with phone calls from a drunken Mike Barrett, I really don't think you are in much of a position to dispute what I say or, indeed, comment. And frankly, since I know and witnessed that man in his state of mental turmoil, I'm not really much interested whether you think the affidavit paints the picture or not. It's pretty much what happened, is what I witnessed.
    Here speaks the voice of experience.

It is very easy to judge the 'dinosaurs' (as some people call them) of Ripperology, but one thing that must be remembered is that your Beggs, Evans's, Skinners, Fidos and certainly your Rumbelows, Wilsons and Odells have been there and seen it all, which because of their profile has led them to be party to so much extra information that we don't have a clue how much they really know. For example, have a chat with Mark Galloway, founder of the Whitechapel Society and you become aware of so many things that have happened around incidents we all think we know loads about.

OK, these guys may confess to finding it difficult to keep abreast of the torrent of new developments, but what they have accrued over the years is gold dust. If you ever get the chance to hear Paul Begg talk about his involvement with Patricia Cornwell's work, you'll see how easy it is to have a different opinion, because he was THERE and in the middle of it all.

JB

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Paul,

Thanks. You beat me to it.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
    Well Simon asked vaild question about who made the complaint for the police to get involved etc I would love to hear the answers to as you seem to be fully aufait with all of this.

And pehaps you would care to enligten us as to what you have been keeping back as you regularly intimate on here. After all this time what harm is there to tell all.

I think I mighy just track Mr Barrett down and see how good his memory is !
    There's a book you could read that explains it all.

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi All,

After recently reading through all the various claims and counter claims about the fake Maybrick Diary I must admit to having come away with the vague notion that Mike Barrett's middle name may have been Patsy.

One thing which continues to intrigue me is what [or whom] prompted Scotland Yard to investigate the "Diary" for fraud.

Regards,

Simon
    I believe it was the Sunday Times.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Marriott
    replied
    Originally posted by caz View Post
    If you mean an 'interview', Trev, I have no idea.

But Scotland Yard, Melvin Harris and wild horses were unable to drag anything useful out of Mike concerning the diary's true origins, so don't raise your hopes.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Well Simon asked vaild question about who made the complaint for the police to get involved etc I would love to hear the answers to as you seem to be fully aufait with all of this.

And pehaps you would care to enligten us as to what you have been keeping back as you regularly intimate on here. After all this time what harm is there to tell all.

I think I mighy just track Mr Barrett down and see how good his memory is !

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Lynn,

Thank you. Yes, you're right.

He was the character who sang the Maybrickites' theme song, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
    Is he up for an inteview then ?
    If you mean an 'interview', Trev, I have no idea.

But Scotland Yard, Melvin Harris and wild horses were unable to drag anything useful out of Mike concerning the diary's true origins, so don't raise your hopes.

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    Patsy

Hello Simon. Actually, Patsy was King Arthur's page. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
    Hello Caroline,

" The Maybrick Diary" is, as far as I am aware, the cause of the most problems in Ripperology ever, including the Scotland Yard investigation into the whole business.
    I believe I am cosrect in saying that it is regarded as such by many long in the tooth Ripperologists. I also suscribe to this viewpoint. My personal opinion, worth little, is that I see little positive in bringing all this up again unless the people who do know more than they can or will say open up. If not, let this sleeping dog lie.

Just an innocent personal viewpoint and observation. What other's thoughts are, likewise or nay, is up to them to comment upon.

Best wishes

Phil
    Well I didn't bring 'all this up again', and the person who did is presumably not one of those who 'know more' but cannot or will not 'open up'.

We can still discuss the mystery of who could have created the diary and why. What I 'know' does not even begin to answer either question.

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Marriott
    replied
    Originally posted by caz View Post
    Yes, I can imagine! In many ways I'm glad to be a secondary source. Reading your foreword in Feldy's book was what started me off and made me want to know more about the people supposedly connected with this strange document. So I blame you.

My sources tell me that Mike is doing well and has been back to the old "Devereux gave it to me - I think it's genuine" story for many years now.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Is he up for an inteview then ?

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi All,

After recently reading through all the various claims and counter claims about the fake Maybrick Diary I must admit to having come away with the vague notion that Mike Barrett's middle name may have been Patsy.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Hi Stephen,

You wrote:

"A question, Caz

Who do you think decided that the diarist's deliberately left clue in Millers Court was the supposed 'FM' on the partition behind the bed."

Not sure, Stephen. I believe it was Simon Wood who first mentioned the possibility of initials on the wall in 'that' photo, and I know Feldy and Shirley were impressed by whoever it was who first suggested the FM, and naturally enough they ran with it.

Of course, the diarist doesn't specify exactly where in the room James is meant to have left 'an initial here and an initial there' to signify 'the whoring mother', nor is it even clear that both initials are meant to be in the same room, never mind right next to each other. The London/Liverpool theme could suggest he was talking about one initial at the crime scene and t'other where he was back in Liverpool - in his watch for instance.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Last edited by caz; 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Hello Caroline,

" The Maybrick Diary" is, as far as I am aware, the cause of the most problems in Ripperology ever, including the Scotland Yard investigation into the whole business.
    I believe I am cosrect in saying that it is regarded as such by many long in the tooth Ripperologists. I also suscribe to this viewpoint. My personal opinion, worth little, is that I see little positive in bringing all this up again unless the people who do know more than they can or will say open up. If not, let this sleeping dog lie.

Just an innocent personal viewpoint and observation. What other's thoughts are, likewise or nay, is up to them to comment upon.

Best wishes

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X