No announcement yet.

One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i use hacksaw to cut metal that's hard enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by milchmanuk View Post

when i read this in the sport newspaper
      The Daily Sport?!

You really are Robin Asquith.
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

The Daily Sport?!

Hi Abester,

I have to say, I'm finding Milky's contributions to this debate quite refreshing (just like his name!).

Hey, got a lot of posts to catch up on. About a month ago, Mrs I and I were caught up in a six-hour delay on the M6 (goes right up the left side of England) and I remember saying to her that that had never happened to me in thirty-plus years of daily travelling long journeys. Big mistake! Talk about tempting Fate! Yesterday, got a train from Newtonmore in the Cairngorms to the Midlands - first two trains to Perth then Edinburgh Haymarket, zippidy doo-dah and hunk dory, then on third train to Crewe the thing stops unscheduled at Carstairs (I thought the Lord Orsam himself was about to board and drag me off to the nearby famous place of mental restitution) and it gets cancelled due to damaged overhead powerlines. Long long long story a bit shorter: train took us to Glasgow (why not back to Edinburgh given that everyone was then going to have to travel to Edinburgh to continue south via the east coast!!!???) so we all had to cram into Edinburgh trains to then travel south via ... etc. ... in my case, getting home five hours late at 10pm. I missed Love Island for Christ's sake!

Surely to goodness that can't happen to me again (nor experience another delayed journey)???

Anyway, I don't usually rant but good to get that off my chest.

Ike
        Iconoclast
        Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
          By the way, Abe, I thought Askwith's performance in Confessions of a Window Cleaner was much under-rated.

Ike
          Iconoclast

Comment

• Hey, dear readers, I'm feeling like Martin Whatsisname the financial guru! I have some advice for you all in these troubled financial and economic times. For years, I've been wanting to make the leap back into the Apple Mac environment having been away for the best part of thirty years but I've struggled to justify the cost relative to Windows (especially now of all times). Anyway, I had thought of taking advantage of Amazon's generous five-monthly payments 0% interest offer but even that was a lot. Anyway, long long long story a little bit shorter, I went onto Apple's UK online store and happened to notice that they were 'currently' (probably 'permanently') partnering with Barclays to offer 0% interest loans over 6, 12, and 24 months. Now, call me as thick as pigshit, but why would anyone want anything other than the longest possible interest free loan??? So I applied for a 24-month loan on a very large amount of money (by my standards) and - bizarrely - they approved it! So waiting for me yesterday after my horrendous train fiasco (six trains to get home from the Cairngorms - don't start me!) was a brand spanking new iMac! It was like the day in 1977 that my mum and dad bought me a beautiful purple Chopper (no smut, please, we're British) after I'd begged them for about six months to get rid of the boring Raleigh cycle they'd 'sensibly' bought me. "Oh, the back wheels fall off those Choppers" said my mum prior to the purchase. "I promise I'll only ever cycle uphill" said I. It swung the deal and very soon I was breaking my idle promise. Well, that's how excited I am today, even though the bloody thing's still in its box because I have to take Old Mrs I some Old Lady Pants to her retirement home (I have to pretend I don't know what they are - well, she fell for the Chopper's wheels line so she'll clearly believe anything I tell her). You couldn't make it up, could you?

Anyway, point is, if you want Barclays to fund your new Apple watch, iphone, iPad, iMac, iPorsche, iHouse, or iSpaceStation get on to the Apple Store asap and beg them. They may even fund you enough to buy a retro purple Chopper - phenarr phenarr!!!

Ike
            Financial Genius
            Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Tab View Post

Too forensic - Don't remember hearing that too often on CSI

I did my best to take in to account the medium and small size of the watch casing when comparing - It didn't change my opinion unfortunately. I just don't see the similarities. Maybrick could well have made the scratches of course, it being his best effort given the circumstances. But solely on the basis of how the signature looks I also think it could have been anyone else's best effort as well.

Tab
              Well I disagree, Tabster - I think you've presented a more than acceptable case for inclusion in the appendices of the top-rated and very brilliant Society's Pillar (2025 edition). Got to keep Scotty Nelson happy, after all!

Cheers,

Ike
              Iconoclast

Comment

i cant see how a inscription on a metal surface would be the same as in a bible cover.
                you got use force on a metal surface.
                probably a monkey grip.
                Milky, surely you aren't suggestion that Maybrick inscribed into the back of his watch with what I take to be a monkey wrench?

Or is a monkey grip different?

We need to know. We aren't all garage mechanics, you know ...
                Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Do you think it could have been done by a petty criminal? It appears Dr Turgoose didn't think so.

https://www.casebook.org/dissertatio...tml?showpage=4
                  No, it couldn't have been done by a petty criminal, ero b (as you know) as a 'petty' criminal would be highly unlikely to have the nouse to source an original copy of Maybrick's Will, marriage certificate, marriage licence, or indeed anything bearing a felicitous facsimile of his signature. Not saying it was impossible, obviously, but it is surely at least implausible?

This is no trivial point. It's not like the Public Record Office at Kew was in everyone's address book in 1992 or 1993.

Trust you're well,

Ike
                  Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post

commiserations. if you need something a little more interesting to occupy your mind, try a sheet of blank white paper.
                    That's not quite what I had in mind, Aethelwulf.

But he reads the sports pages - he doesn't need our advice!
                    Iconoclast

Comment

sorrow pink Floyd
                      I prefer the one that goes "the lunatics are in the park" etc.. Reminds me of RJ Palmer's holiday at Lord Orsam's Chigwell semi when they skipped around the fields hand-in-hand all day saying "No, you're the cleverest" to one another incessantly.
                      Iconoclast

Comment

• Gotta go. Old Lady Pants.

Just saying ...
                        Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

a felicitous facsimile of his signature

Ike
                          do stop wittering on like a broken record about the signature - looking at Tab's very good post 9108 they are not even remotely similar. Of course you have your rather convenient defense: 'oh but sir, the watch is a curved surface and metal at that, of course we shouldn't expect them to match'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

Well I disagree, Tabster - I think you've presented a more than acceptable case for inclusion in the appendices of the top-rated and very brilliant Society's Pillar (2025 edition). Got to keep Scotty Nelson happy, after all!

Cheers,

Ike
                            Hey Look Ma, I made it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post
                              'oh but sir, the watch is a curved surface and metal at that, of course we shouldn't expect them to match'.
                              I can't help feeling that the saner members amongst us might give some consideration to the vaguest of possibilities that inscribing one's signature into an impossibly awkward space and on an unyielding surface with an implement ill-designed for the purpose might just about have caused Maybrick a small degree of difficulty.

Just saying ...
                              Last edited by Iconoclast; 07-15-2022, 11:05 AM.
                              Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Tab View Post

Hey Look Ma, I made it!
                                Steady on Tabbsy - we ain't gone to press yet ...
                                Iconoclast

Comment

Working...
                                X