No announcement yet.

One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just checked my facts and I can't find any record that the Inside Story authors had to register at O&L so kindly ignore that point in my post above.
    But don't ignore my post, obviously.
    Iconoclast
    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

The line of sight to the west as you stand looking out from the site of the GSG was clear in 2018, and your comment above does not appear to preclude that from being true in 1888.
      I do believe you are wrong

Here is a photo looking from where the apron section was dropped to the only view available in the direction od Middlesex Street. As you can see none of the rear of the buildings on the East side of Middlesex Street are visible. Also here is a map of the area at the time of the murders. The red x shows where the apron section was deposited. There's no way any of the buildings either on the West, or East side of Middlesex Street could view the entrance to the building where the apron section was deposited. Josh Rogan was correct in stating that a large sugar refinery would have blocked any view.

Comment

• Those photos are somewhat small, but if you click on them you'll get a larger view. Havn't uploaded photos for some time, the procedure has changed since the last time I did. Which symbol do you use to upload photo's?

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
          Those photos are somewhat small, but if you click on them you'll get a larger view. Havn't uploaded photos for some time, the procedure has changed since the last time I did. Which symbol do you use to upload photo's?
          'Upload Attachments' underneath the Smileys should do the job (and then choose the size, at which point you will see the photo in the editor section).

This is the photograph I took in Dec 2018 - it shows a considerable sweep to the west (and therefore east) side of Middlesex Street from the site of the GSG. Fair enough if this view was known to have been blocked in 1888. It was a fanciful notion and certainly not critical for Maybrick to have been Jack (he doesn't say in his scrapbook that he could see Wentworth Dwellings).

Nevertheless, there is a significant amount of sweep and maybe the very west (therefore back windows on the east) of Middlesex Street had a line of vision in 1888?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Iconoclast; 05-03-2020, 02:09 PM.
          Iconoclast

Comment

• I've give it another go

Comment

'Upload Attachments' underneath the Smileys should do the job (and then choose the size, at which point you will see the photo in the editor section).

This is the photograph I took in Dec 2018 - it shows a considerable sweep to the west (and therefore east) side of Middlesex Street from the site of the GSG. Fair enough if this view was known to have been blocked in 1888. It was a fanciful notion and certainly not critical for Maybrick to have been Jack (he doesn't say in his scrapbook that he could see Wentworth Dwellings).

Nevertheless, there is a significant amount of sweep and maybe the very west (therefore back windows on the east) of Middlesex Street had a line of vision in 1888?
              Those buildings in the distance are not the rear of Middlesex Street, they are the rear of buildings in New Goulston Street. That whole vista would have blocked by the sugar refinery.

Comment

• How about this time

Click image for larger version

Name:	resized image.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	735042

Comment

• And this

Name:	Screenshot (2).png
Views:	407
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	735044

Comment

• Or even this

Views:	304
ID:	735046

Comment

• last time

Views:	300
ID:	735049

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post

Those buildings in the distance are not the rear of Middlesex Street, they are the rear of buildings in New Goulston Street. That whole vista would have blocked by the sugar refinery.
                        I would have to go back to London to confirm this, but I am pretty confident that the tall cream building in the background of the photograph I took was towards the start of Middlesex Street. I walked from there to Goulston Street via New Goulston Street. If the sugar refinery was to the immediate left of 'Vape Heaven' then it would have been difficult to get a line of sight to the GSG from that building, but I don't think we've yet fully ruled out there being a view from the most southern aspect of Middlesex Street in 1888, even if the sugar refinery abutted the very edge of New Goulston Street, I guess I may have misunderstood where the sugar refinery stood, of course.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020 05 03 GSG Aspect.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.3 KB ID:	735051

Like I say, no biggee if it wasn't possible. Just spoils a neat explanation.
                        Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

In 1888 the block opposite the site of the graffito, between Goulston St and Middlesex St, was occupied on the south side by a rather enormous old sugar refinery 7 stories high, and on the north and east by some artizanal dwellings 5 stories high
                          These were taller than any of the buildings in nearby Middlesex St.
                          Would you have a map per chance, Joshua?
                          Iconoclast

Comment

I would have to go back to London to confirm this, but I am pretty confident that the tall cream building in the background of the photograph I took was towards the start of Middlesex Street. .
                            Yes they are in Middlesex Street but they are huge compared to the streets in existence in 1888, they were all three story affairs. The Sugar refinery would have blocked any view.

Comment

• Here is what appears to be the same cream building at the southern foot of Petticoat Lane (picture from Google images).

Name:	2020 05 03 Petticoat Lane Southwards.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	735056
                              Iconoclast

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Views:	287